1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Help make my new knife Old GAW....sort of

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by 315, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Thanks JP for the info about Yvette Horner and great pix. Super Traction Avant she's playing on with all those 'Suze' adverts. Is it still drunk? For that matter is 'Byrrh' still available? My cat reminds me of the cat I used to see on old 'Dubonnet' labels as a kid in the 60's;):cool:

2. Jolipapa

Jolipapa Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Suze exist, not too trendy these days, but from time to time Suze / cassis (black current aka fond de culotte - #pant bottom :)) is very refreshing. Why a pant bottom? Because "il ne s'use qu'assis " #worns out only when sitting. :D
    Byrrh and Dubonnet also exist, Byrrh is now more a local drink in Roussillon (French Catalonia). Dubonnet an old ladies drink , but if a trendsetter starts liking one of them, they could be on first line again.
    I remember the adverts spraying on the underground tunnels walls, Dubo, Dubon, Dubonnet! It was invented by a pharmacist as a remedy for soldiers against malaria. LOL
    Can't resist to the Byrrh adverts, they would not be allowed today (the first was given as elementary schoolboy's ink blotters)!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    And just because we need a little knife content, I've shaken the dust out of my Tour pins to show Scotty.

Le_Tour.jpg

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  3. Jolipapa

Jun 4, 2015
    Le_Tour-2.jpg

4. Jolipapa

Jun 4, 2015
    For the last week with me I took Scotty to the country, about 2h South of Paris, in Northern Burgundy.
    In a tiny little village, hardly more than 250 souls.:)
    StMT-1.jpg StMT-2.jpg It is so tiny that there's even no bar in town...
    StMT-3.jpg
    You need to go to the next village, 5km away.
    StMT-10.jpg
    StMT-11.jpg
    I had intended to show her old stones and scenery, but a persistent (still with me) hay fever due to pollens decided otherwise.
    Nevertheless, she was not to be idle. She met new friends, four...
    StMT-6.jpg StMT-5.jpg ...and three legged.
    StMT-7.jpg

5. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Great pictures... and thank you for leaving the blades closed around your animals. :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

Jolipapa likes this.
  6. Jolipapa

Jun 4, 2015
    She helped me a lot in the garden (maybe not a good idea for me:rolleyes:).
    StMT-8.jpg
    The village is small but the rhubarb is large (basic English, lesson n°2 for beginners:D).
    StMT-9.jpg

She helped also to cut little wood for the barbecue.
    StMT-12.jpg

And was not the last to ring the bell for the apéritif! (not the original content, some home made spiced rum ;) )
    StMT-14.jpg

But even the best thing must end, so this morning back to La Grande Ville, before flying hopefully next Wednesday to see other skies...
    I have to say that I really enjoyed Scotty, a great character, always wanting to help and do something. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

7. Jolipapa

Jun 4, 2015
    The only one in my collection who could compare to Scotty is this 303, but sometime, size matters and the feeling on the handle material is different.
    Frontier-50.jpg

8. Jolipapa

Jun 4, 2015
    You're welcome :)

9. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Glad it’s getting some good use and some spectacular travel to boot! Really interested to see what’s next. I know this wasn’t the original knife that started the journey but it’s definitely been able to get some good use. Looking forward to see what’s next. The old mans 102nd birthday is coming up in August so keep on using it:thumbsup:

Misplaced Hillbilly and Jolipapa like this.
  10. zolthar

zolthar Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Scotty arrived in Holland save and sound :cool::thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

Just in time to harvest some oyster mushroom that I'm growing on coffee grounds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I made a quick lunch by adding ham, garlick, dried herbs, Maggi and eggs. Yum :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Later in the day I visited a friend with a great Swiss army knife collection, among them this ammo crate display. The silver alox knives on the left are Dutch army knives, of course pretty common around here but I've never before seen the complete set of all years before as displayed in this case. I'm not very sure about the rest of the knives and forgot to ask, I guess at least a few of the green ones are German.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scotty will be my EDC for the next month. And while it's working to earn it's keep, I'll try to show you around a bit.

Cheers!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  11. ISKRA

ISKRA

Sep 19, 2016
    Wat leuk. Ik hoop u heeft een mooie mand met Scotty!

Those scrambled eggs look delicious. In our Dutch class we heard a lot about stampot, which I'm less sure about. But perhaps Scotty can lend a blade for that too. :)

Will Power and zolthar like this.
  12. Jolipapa

Jun 4, 2015
    Great to see Scotty at a new hosting place! Enjoy!:)
    Decency does not allow the only Dutch word I taught her to be written here. :D

Will Power and zolthar like this.
  13. abbydaddy

abbydaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 14, 2014
    Boy that Scotty sure gets around! That is going to be one amazingly well traveled knife when it gets back to you @315 .

zolthar, Jolipapa and 315 like this.
  14. zolthar

zolthar Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Geweldig dat je Nederlands spreekt!

I can't promise anything about stamppot, cause it's more of a dish for colder weather. But how about some Dutch snacks: a frikandel speciaal and a kroket :D

[​IMG]
    Now you've got me curious :p

15. 315

Dec 2, 2017
    I’ve got a feeling that knife is going to be a bit bored when it makes it back homeo_O

abbydaddy, Jolipapa and zolthar like this.
  16. Jolipapa

Jun 4, 2015
    LOL! Only if you promise not to disclose how frikandels are made (did you see Dikkenek?). Starts with a G, ends with a M.:eek::D

zolthar likes this.
  17. 315

Dec 2, 2017
    All these food photos is making my other Frontier a bit jealous soo thought I’d pull it out to smoke some fish today.
    [​IMG]

18. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Nice smoked fish there! But I think that Frontier has got about a bit too in its time ;)

315 and Jolipapa like this.
  19. 315

Dec 2, 2017
    Very true!!!

Will Power likes this.
  20. ISKRA

ISKRA

Sep 19, 2016

Maar alleen een beetje. ;) Haha, that's about as Dutch as it gets, nice!

zolthar and Will Power like this.