• Kershaw Thistle

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Kershaw Leek

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • Benchmade 940

Votes: 16 26.7%
  • Case Trapper

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Rough Rider Moose, 5 Blade Sowbelly, Barlow, or Ceramic Trapper (comment which)

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • Great Eastern Cutlery #53 Cuban Stockman in Stainless Steel and Stag

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • Other (comment which)

Votes: 7 11.7%

• Total voters
I'm going on vacation very soon and thought it would be fun to get everyone here's input on what knife to take. I'm restricting myself to one or, at absolute most, two knives. I'm going to try to buy a Victorinox Swiss Army Knife when I get there.

It will be about 7 days of actually being there. This is me and my fiance's first real vacation for a while so It's a solid one. We will be in a hot climate, hanging out in/on sand frequently, and in the water often. I will likely do a little food prep, but it will mostly be a simple EDC tool. It will probably see much less use than my knives do on a normal daily basis.

Here's a picture to show most of my options:

5cmSoJsh.jpg

I've left out some that were gifts, as I don't want to risk losing them, and most of my non stainless steel knives.

I'm guessing an airplane ride isn't in the plans? If there are no restrictions, I'd go with a fixed stainless neck knife to be a companion to your SAK purchase. A neck knife would probably be best for the beach excursions.

I'm going on vacation very soon and thought it would be fun to get everyone here's input on what knife to take. I'm restricting myself to one or, at absolute most, two knives. I'm going to try to buy a Victorinox Swiss Army Knife when I get there.

It will be about 7 days of actually being there. This is me and my fiance's first real vacation for a while so It's a solid one. We will be in a hot climate, hanging out in/on sand frequently, and in the water often. I will likely do a little food prep, but it will mostly be a simple EDC tool. It will probably see much less use than my knives do on a normal daily basis.

Here's a picture to show most of my options:

5cmSoJsh.jpg

I've left out some that were gifts, as I don't want to risk losing them, and most of my non stainless steel knives.

You putting that knife in checked baggage? Put one that it won’t break your heart if it is stolen.

I plan to get a Spectrum Energetics knife as my official travel knife. That way I can just take the blade out and buy some when I land.

45339607_2200387920177828_7139510241543645883_n.jpg

Where are you going?

Costa Rica

I'm guessing an airplane ride isn't in the plans? If there are no restrictions, I'd go with a fixed stainless neck knife to be a companion to your SAK purchase. A neck knife would probably be best for the beach excursions.

No, it is. This will be in checked baggage. I've taken knives and guns in checked baggage before without too much issue.

You putting that knife in checked baggage? Put one that it won’t break your heart if it is stolen.

I plan to get a Spectrum Energetics knife as my official travel knife. That way I can just take the blade out and buy some when I land.

45339607_2200387920177828_7139510241543645883_n.jpg

Yeah, that's why I don't want to take any that were gifts.

Those are definitely interesting and Spectrum Energetics does some cool stuff, but the blade holder looks like it'd restrict it pretty much to only opening boxes and such.

Don't have one and don't have time to get one.

Of course it's a perfect excuse to buy two after getting off the plane & just ship em back before departing.

Not sure about Cost Rica, but there are many other Latin American/Caribbean countries that I would NEVER bring an expensive knife to. Good example is Dominican Republic as the airport police/security are among the most crooked in the world. I wouldn’t bring a $20 SAK there in my luggage.

If I was comfortable, I would bring the 940, if I wasn’t, I would bring something like a base steel Kershaw Leek as it is easily replaced if stolen.

Have a great trip!

I would take the least expensive knife you own.
Last time I left the US , I took a bartender’s knife (corkscrew, bottle opener and small blade)

Leek, easily replaceable if lost/stolen and will do the jobs well enough.

Kershaw Injection. You don't want to take a valuable one and risk it being lost or stolen or seized.

Then, a small SAK, so you can have some important vacation tools, like bottle opener and corkscrew. ;)

X2 on the Kershaw Injection. That should take care business and you wont have to worry about sand fouling something with bearings. The blade might tarnish a bit being around the ocean but who cares for $30 bucks. I would also bring that Loconico Keen I thought I spied for formal dress. Have fun and don't drink the water;):thumbsup:

Take something you are not afraid to loose, due to theft, confisciation, or just regular old forgetfulness. IDK Costa Rica. Check their knife laws.

Kershaw Injection is a good choice.

IMO, your vacation sounds like a good opportunity to buy a SE Dragonfly Salt. It’s so cute, tiny, and nonthreatening that in case knife EDC is a gray zone, you could always play “silly Gringo” followed by, “No, seriously Señor, I insist YOU keep the knife!”

That Alox Vic or Roadie in your box would work as well.

Alox SA knife, any three blade stockman, and an Opinel. Or just buy something cheap there, and then give it to someone else as a gift before you leave.

Take one or two that won't ruin your vacation to have lost , stolen or confiscated . :(

Maybe a SAK for low profile and a Leek or Injection, when that seems permissible . :)

Reactions: Mo2
Back