1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Kizer C01C Sheepdog Ki4488A & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Dec 14 !

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Dec 15 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Help! What shaving razor do you use?

Discussion in 'Razors, Scissors, & Personal Grooming' started by Low_rez, Oct 26, 2018.

1. woodysone

woodysone Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2005
    Thanks David, I tried without knowledge a screwed up my first try, owell I’ve got 90 more to try on.:rolleyes: Thanks David.

2. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    To set the angle I use 4 layers of black electric tape, over the opposite edge. 2) then lay the blade down on the treated strop and pull. 3) rest your first 2 fingers on the blade and pull with your thumb and 3rd finger. Then flip it over and do the same on the other bevel. Count 40 pulls. That way you'll have 20 on each bevel. Then remove the tape, clean both bevels with hand sanitizer. 5) put the 4 layers of tape on the
    opposite bevel and strop in the same manner. Then clean the bevels and give the blade a test shave. DM

woodysone likes this.
  3. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Good, I was hoping you'd understand it. DM

4. OogieBoogie

OogieBoogie

Mar 29, 2014
    Timeless Bronze (SB) loaded with a Gillette Silver Blue (GSB). I can work with the Feathers, but they are sharp but not smooth. MdC is my goto soap and I use a badger brush.

David Martin likes this.
  5. jkarp_53

jkarp_53

May 25, 2006
    I use a combination of Merkur; favorite of the bunch a modified long handled'Mergress'. For Gillettes, my adjustables are the FatBoy and then the Slim. DE blades of choice are the superb IP (Israeli Persona.) For brush It's my Portugese Semogue Texugo Best Badger. Yep I only own one brush and one brand of razors; don't need more than that for hardware. I use a sandalwood shaving cream or just soap and water. Best advice is to practice. With the right combination just about any DE blade will do.

David Martin likes this.
  6. eKretz

eKretz

Aug 30, 2009
    I don't know about manlier, but I think straight razors are definitely the best shave for me. A well-honed straight razor is an absolute pleasure to shave with. Some folks are afraid of them, but they're really not that tough to use. I tried to get my younger brother started with straight razors as he expressed interest; sent him a whole kit of stuff, couple razors, some shaving soaps, a strop, etc. Even demonstrated a straight razor shave in person (no cuts, no nicks) to show him how easy it was. He uses a DE, but is scared to death to try a straight. He's had that setup for 2 years and hasn't tried it. He was boots on the ground in Afghanistan but is afraid of a straight razor....

I pester him every now and then: "Tried that straight razor yet you wussy?" So far, no go. Matter of fact I think I know what I'll go and do right now, lol.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    strategy9 likes this.
  7. David Nowlin

David Nowlin Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Do i look like i use a razor?

8. David Nowlin

David Nowlin Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Just kidding. When i was a slick and shaved i last used and loved my saftey razor. The one sold at Walmart that Rick the Pawn Stars Guy advertises. I still use it on my cheeks and neck. Instead of the large amounts of lather i just use a couple drops of Shave Secret oil now.

9. clockman

clockman

Jan 14, 2009
    I bought a Merkur slant bar and a sample pack of blades.
    I use Astra now. Amazon had a deal on a 400 pack of Astra's for $36 and
    change that I couldn't refuse.
    I started using a de about 9 months ago.
    I bought a Merkur adjustable to alternate my slant bar. They're
    both excellent razors

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  10. evolhd

evolhd Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2000
    I really like the Rockwell Razors 6S Stainless system with Feather blades. Two for me, son and son-in-law were given one each. Lifetime gear.

11. Rob Skinner

Rob Skinner

Feb 25, 2019
    DELETE POST
    Administrators are demanding that I pay ten dollars to protect my identity.
    I don't think so.
    Hopefully they'll just ban me and delete this message before you have to read it.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  12. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Still using an old Schick FX that I've had since probably the 90s (looks like the diamond; but may have predated it...definitely not a Tracer). It became impossible to find blades/ cartridges locally; so I've been using Wilkinson Sword from Amazon. Usually only on my neck and cheek for shaping.

13. Daedric Panther

Daedric Panther Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2019
    For me, it’s an old school safety razor. The type with the replaceable double edge blades. Feels WAY better than a bic or Gillette disposable.

I definitely plan to move to a straight razor when I can afford to buy one of the nice ones

14. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    @OogieBoogie , yes, sharp but rough. It's like the edge is jagged. If you strop the Feather blades a little they get buttery smooth. And will give you a great shave. Even a little backhoning on a Charnley Forest stone will smooth them right up. Then they'll give a much smoother shave. DM

15. OogieBoogie

OogieBoogie

Mar 29, 2014
    I'll give that a try next time I'm in the mood to load up a Feather.

16. RichardBoyer

RichardBoyer

Aug 6, 2009
    Rockwell 6S adjustable razor. With Parker blades it shaves like a dream.
    Mostly use Stirling shaving soaps.

17. jkarp_53

jkarp_53

May 25, 2006
    If Feathers don't work, I have no problem with Israeli (IP) Personna Reds. For the razor, it's a combination of newer Merkur and older Gillettes. Soap isn't fussy, but please give me Sandalwood thanks.

18. HopalongCassidy

HopalongCassidy

Sep 22, 2019
    Bic disposable fixed. I’m not buying into the hype.

19. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    ^ Your missing out. DM

Tjstampa likes this.