Help with folder sizes

Pocket carry, medium 3&1/2 to 4 inch. The case trapper is ok with jeans, not dress pants. Hunting, I prefer a little bigger with a little more belly, like me.

For edc knives I prefer 3 1/2 as ideal, but will pocket carry up to 4 inches. Knives that are also thinner are easier for edc pocket carry.

Just as there are many different screwdriver sizes, depending on the job at hand, so goes slipjoint sizes. That being said if I could only make ONE size knife it would be 3 5/8 inch closed.

Ken

For pocket carry slip joints I prefer 3 1/2 - 4 inches.... That size seems to be the most comfortable for my big hands, and still pockets easily IMHO.

For folders styles like the Buck 110's and 112's, I still prefer the smaller versions like the 112. I know it goes against tradition and millions of happy owners would disagree, but the 110 just seems to big for general use.
If I feel the need for a knife that big, I would prefer to use a sheath knife.

YMMV

Interesting thread A.G.

I prefer the small-to-medium size (about 3 1/8" tp 3 3/4") for EDC. That way it doesn't take up my whole pocket and it's big enough to handle just about everything I need. I don't see the need for anything much larger unless it's for a specific purpose.

Same for me.

Max of 4 inches closed if I'm going to carry it in my pocket, up to 5 inches if it comes with a clip or is going to be carried in a pouch/sheath.

The majority of my urban EDC slippies fit within the 3-1/4" to 3-3/4" range, but I'll occasionally carry something larger, especially if it's slim and lightly built; e.g., a 4"+ Ken Coats shadow toothpick, but I consider that more a long pen knife than a jack. The only time I carry a larger, heavier folder is when I'm hiking or camping.

For a slipjoint type, I like the 3 5/8 size the best, since it has to ride around in the pocket. When I'm carrying a folder with a pocket clip I can go a little bigger, especially on the weekends when I'm wearing jeans. Then I like something in the 4 1/2 inches closed range.

If it's a Bigun say 4" or over it's better as a single blade,although the CASE Stockman carries surprisingly well.

For most pockets, I prefer a 3.5-3.75" and nothing too fat, 'three thick' comes too bulky for my tastes.

However, if the knife looks good size doesn't matter too much.....

Everything I have bought in the past year in traditional blades has been 3 7/8" to 4 1/4" closed (about 5 traditional folders total $250 +/-); tactical has been
3" to 3 5/8" blade length (about 5 knives $400 +/-). Full size trapper blades for "gentleman's cutting situations" are about the upper limit for edc, and over 3.5 for tactical starts getting uncomfortable except around the farm.
This is what I have actually bought, not an opinion.
These days I almost always carry a friendly knife 4.25" trapper or 4" slimline and a tactical Benchmade 670 or Tenacous in the 3.25 to 3.5" range.
Some really nice new offerings in the Spring catalog.

I just realized my criteria for a "social blade" is the ability to cut a baguette gracefully. Interesting how many of us carry two different knives, I thought I was alone.

Last edited:
Mostly medium. Thanks for asking Mr. Russell. :thumbup:

I do not like any pocketknife less than 3 1/2" at the very shortest, A.G. I much prefer 4" pocketknives and carry a 4 1/4" EYEBRAND stockman everyday. In the past I have carried a 4 1/2" pocketknife with no problem or discomfort at all. It fit fine in Wrangler jeans or dress slacks though I do not wear the latter anymore.
I also am queer for 4" CONGRESS knives and am hoping your next A.G. RUSSELL issue pocketknife will be one of these to go with your stockman and warnecliffe whittler. OH YEAH.....heavy breathing here....

My favorite size is 3 3/4" - 4"

But in order to carry a knife at work, I am also forced to seek knives with 2" blades.

I like the medium sized knives best such as a Schrade 33OT or a Case Mini Trapper. When hunting I carry a full size trapper.

I use all sorts of different sizes depending on the clothes I'm wearing, the weather and the cutting tasks I might expect.

However, if I had to settle for one length it would be 3 5/8", which I find to be a good balance between size and utility.

My preference for EDC is 3 5/8 up to,:thumbup: and more desirable for "me"3 7/8ths- 4 inchers:D.

Thanks for asking AG.;)

Back