Help with folder sizes

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by A. G. Russell, Feb 6, 2010.

1. mhawg

mhawg

Jan 10, 2003
    When I'm in the field, which is less and less as I get older, a big folder is fine but normally I stay within the 3-1/2" to 4" range or even smaller if it a really nice knife.

Legal size in my city is 2" or less with a straight knife of any size being illegal. The state law is much more lenient so outside of the city I like to strap on a nice 4" -7" sheath knife, what ever I have handy.

2. quinque voces

quinque voces

Oct 18, 2005
    Mostly I carry folders that are 5-5,5" closed.

An ideal knife for me would be a large toothpick with a backlock and 4,5" blade.

Mike

3. matt1987

matt1987

Nov 2, 2009
    i prefer large 4 1/2" framed knives. for social get togethers i usually bring a med. stockman.

4. xbxb

xbxb Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 23, 2005
    3 1/4 - 3 3/4 for me A.G. Now and then I will carry a 4". 3 5/8 is perfect for me. Just feedback for you.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  5. chuck buck

chuck buck

Nov 4, 2007
    4" is perfect however thickness matters more to me than length.

6. J D Wijbenga

J D Wijbenga

Oct 17, 1998
    I like a blade length around "3. Just along enough for what I use my folders for and no longer.

JD

7. DallasSTB

DallasSTB Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2009
    After I got to page 4, I forgot what Mr. Russell's original question was.....

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't really like carrying anything large or heavy in my pockets. I rarely carry keys or even a wallet around very long if I can help it. So for any non-clip pocketknife to fit comfortably, I prefer something less than 3 1/4" and 1.5 oz. My favorites are a Case Mini-Copperhead, a Queen Serpentine Jack (from 1960), or a Buck 503.

For pocketclip knives, my preference is a blade between 3 1/2" & 4", closed length around 4 1/2", slender, and less than 5 oz. Sounds like an Acies or Sebenza, doesn't it?:D I have 2003 Greased Lightnin' that works for me as well.

Thank you for asking AG. Much respect and gratitude.

8. pa knifeguy

pa knifeguy Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 8, 2004
    I like smaller sizes. A 3 1/4'' knife is the perfect size for me.
    I'd love one of your featherlite one handers that size.

9. nphelps4130

nphelps4130

Aug 23, 2006
    For a pocket knife like SAK or slipjoint that I carry loose in the pocket, 3 1/4 closed length is the magic number for me. I will carry up to 3 1/2 though.

If I want to carry a knife bigger than that, then it will have to have a pocket clip and I prefer 4 - 4.5" closed.

10. grins000

grins000

Jun 28, 2008
    3&1/2 up to 41/2 max

11. Slim to None

Slim to None

Nov 11, 2004
    The size of a case sodbuster jr or a vic farmer is about as large as I like to carry. Larger than that becomes obtrusive for me.

12. PocketEdge

PocketEdge

Dec 23, 2008
    I like 3 5/8" for every day carry like a barlow or sodbuster jr. and a peanut on the weekend. I lived in Florida for 11 years and wore shorts most of the time and found the lighter and smaller knives more comfortable.

13. wintermute

wintermute Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 18, 2007
    I like 2-7/8" up to 3-5/8" for EDC.

14. jackknife

jackknife Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 2, 2004
    Looks like Goldie had something there. She always was a smart lady.:thumbup:

15. DallasSTB

DallasSTB Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2009
    A wise man listens when his bride speaks......

16. thawk

thawk

Oct 28, 2006
    A.G. - This thread made me think. A while back I was looking through current manufacturers or even recent, for a 3 9/16" stockman with a clip, sheepsfoot, and pen combination. Like a Case the 6318HE. I don't think Case makes it any longer, and I think many would like this combination instead of the usual spey down at the end. Same goes for a 3 3/8" knife.

17. zrfunited

zrfunited

Dec 19, 2007
    I am totally chiming in in this one. Medium sized two blade slipjoint with one of the blades being a wharncliffe style blade. I would personally love to see a hybrid like the kershaw double cross but with a premium blade steel

18. coyote711

coyote711

Sep 19, 2009
    A.G., not to be a smart alec, but it sounds like if you want to make 'em, go with 4 1/4" - 5 1/2" -- if you want to sell 'em, go with 3 1/4" - 3 5/8" :D

Personal preference is 3 5/8" area.

19. T. Erdelyi

T. Erdelyi Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    I like medium sized knives up to 4", Trappers, Whittlers, Stockmans, they seem to ride nicely in my pocket and still do most jobs for an EDC.

20. WIL TERRY

WIL TERRY

Jan 6, 2004
    You make the big knives you really like for all the men to buy and those itty bitty ones Goldie likes for all the women and the girly boys to buy.
    Problem solved.
    You're welcome.