Hemp Wrapped Fiddlebacks - Rusticwrap Review & Photos

From camping trip this last weekend. My son and his primitive knife he carved using the hemp Nessmuk.
He told me when he finished-"Dad..check out my knife I carved. I feel so accomplished. :D"
Followed up by- "I think I need my own knife like yours Dad."
We did a ton of fire prep with this knife and after a few passes on strop it's shaving sharp again.

A big thank you to Mr. Roy and all the guys gals at Fiddleback Forge

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

From camping trip this last weekend. My son and his primitive knife he carved using the hemp Nessmuk....

Good stuff. That Muk looks great in his hands... I think you should surprise him with one [emoji2]

We've been keeping the rusticwrapped Nessmuk and WAS Shortmuk around the firepit over the summer. You are right with the a2/o1, something to strop on will get you a lot of mileage between touchups

cpGqC5P.jpg

Good taste Riverwarrior....Bell's is from my hood!....that muk is very nice too :thumbup:

Thanks Vance!! Just earlier today I was there are W.A. Surls Wednesdays!!! I'll be checking these out when I can now too

Thanks Vance!! Just earlier today I was there are W.A. Surls Wednesdays!!! I'll be checking these out when I can now too

Be sure to check the preview unlock at about 8:15. You can see some good pics of what's up that evening, and see if you'd like something from the batch. There's also a group of us that signs on every Wednesday, regardless of if we are trying to claim a knife or not. If you need help, or have questions, we're all glad to give a hand.

If you look back through the W.A. Surls sales you'll see that Allen has quite a few different models and styles he's experimented with. For example, a little while ago he was making quite a few based on the Loveless design. Some real beauties! I've found that if you mention what you hope to see in his "Wish List" thread, you just might see it pop up a few weeks or months down the road. You've just got to be patient, and diligent. Things come and go...and come back around again...in cycles. Some of these wrapped knives come up in the Fiddleback sales threads as well on Fridays, so keep your eyes open.

If you have questions about various models, handles, wraps, or just need general info on how the system works - or how to get some help on Wednesdays - throw it out there and one of us will surely jump in to help you out.

One other thing friend. I'd strongly suggest you consider a Gold membership in the forum. The fee is minimal, and gives you private message privileges so that you can have (and store) conversations behind the scenes. It's been instrumental for me - both in my collecting, as well as creating friendships on here. It also helps support the Forum. If you think you'll be visiting often, you'll find it's very helpful. And you get to post a really pretty picture next to your name! Just a suggestion.

Tony

Last edited:
I coat the handles by hand with the epoxy and work it into all of the nooks and cranies. Completely saturate everything. Once it is all dry, light sand to make it uniform, then dipped and brushed with penetrating sealant for a second layer of protection.

I know this is an old thread, but I’ve been looking for a way to seal some of my handles I’ve wrapped. What do you use after that you brush on? Is it blo? Another type of epoxy?

Your blades are aweosme! I’ll have one one day soon!

VP

I know this is an old thread, but I’ve been looking for a way to seal some of my handles I’ve wrapped. What do you use after that you brush on? Is it blo? Another type of epoxy?

Your blades are aweosme! I’ll have one one day soon!

VP
it's West Marine 105

Back