Hinderer forum gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently the Hinderer forum was closed due to a request from Rob and Rick, why?? Will there be a replacement? Where do we post our pics now? Just became a proud owner of a XM-24, they are becoming more available at the dealers now.
Cheers, H. habilis

IMG_0510_zpsxk0bhptd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

In my opinion, which of course could possibly be wrong. There was some negative comments about Hinderer knives having weak detents, causing injuries in one case from a open in pocket blade. Plus being poor flippers overall. And some questions about whether Hinderer outsources blades and other parts. This I noticed bleeding back into their forum and poof I looked, they had closed. Maybe they're really sensitive to any criticism? Just my opinion and the only reason I had even noticed was because I recently bought a 18 and 24. Both bowies because they were available for retail. I love both and I perfer the easy pull through, lightening fast flipping over the load up pow of the harder detent bearing flippers! Great knives well worth retail.

I just received an Xm-24 Bowie and couldn't be happier. Flipping action is strong and as usual fit and finish is impeccable. Not sure why the forum was closed but I didn't feel any recent criticism was out of line. Criticism can be a positive thing. I'll miss their forum.

Maybe they're really sensitive to any criticism?

I suspect you're right. And from what I've seen over the years, they're not the first manufacturer to get out of Dodge for that very reason. Let's face it. We can be a tough crowd. Some folks can handle us and some folks can't.

Last edited:
I won't shed any tears, get thicker skin.. If an occasional guy asks where parts are made, set him straight if you have nothing to hide.

People are too damn soft nowadays, or got something to hide. Honestly I don't know which they fall into, but either is pretty pathetic for a reputable, adult owned company..

Lol who the hell am kidding, there are LOTS of soft, thin skin adults haha

ETA

After reading bodogs thread in their forum, I guess they got butt hurt about people asking how much of their own product they make.. Seems odd but like I said above soft people are a dime a dozen. Maybe they got embarrassed..

Last edited:
Well, Hinderer didn't do themselves any favors by releasing a purpose-built knife and then not modifying it for civilian use. Sure, they explained over and over again why XM-18's . . . particularly early models . . . had weak detents. They had weak detents by design. But folks had an expectation about the way XM-18s should behave that didn't correlate to the knife's design parameters. And that's at least part of what sunk their forum, I think.

Last edited:
I agree, you know some companies are receptive of customer feedback and others not so much.

When people who use the knives say "hey I'm a so and so and the blade pops open in the course of my job" a correction should have been made. Not a " we want it that way".

Seems they stayed true to their censoring nature, instead of closing threads they dont like, they closed the forum.

I know i might be in the minority but, don't let the door hit you on the way out is how i feel. Bladeforums is free advertising and a sale booster. Period. Can't handle tough questions? Cry. I know it sounds harsh but its my opinion.

Bld522, your point is spot on. I wish earlier Xm's had two variants. One for first responders and another for the general public with positive flipping action. I love the three Hinderer's I own and my Eklipse and new Xm-24 flip so well.

Yep. Too little too late though, I'm afraid. The damage to folks expectations had already been done. I saw someone complain about the weak detent in his XM-18 no more than a month or two ago. I sent him to Rob's post explaining that what he considered to be a defect Hinderer considered to be a feature. But it could be that the Hinderer crew just got tired of having to deal with that complaint over and over again. And yes, shinyedges, the mods in the Hinderer forum had a really quick trigger finger that I found exasperating as well. You're not the only one who saw it. Like I said, some folks just aren't built to handle the heat we can generate around here. Best if they stay out of our kitchen.

Last edited:
Yep. Too little too late though, I'm afraid. The damage to folks expectations had already been done. I saw someone complain about the weak detent in his XM-18 no more than a month or two ago. I sent him to Rob's post explaining that what he considered to be a defect Hinderer considered to be a feature. But it could be that the Hinderer crew just got tired of having to deal with that complaint over and over again. And yes, shinyedges, the mods in the Hinderer forum had a really quick trigger finger that I found exasperating as well. You're not the only one who saw it. Like I said, some folks just aren't built to handle the heat we can generate around here. Best if they stay out of our kitchen.
Not entirely true. Some people's only goal is to apparently "generate heat". Their posts serve no purpose other than to stir things up, bring attention to themselves and incite as many people as possible. They don't know if they are a spoon or a stove top. These same people are slowly being weeded out one by one and will continue to be removed. When someone proves they only want a pointless argument it's time for them to move on, because it clearly shows there is no desire to be part of what the community at large here is really about. Expect more spoons and stove tops to come flying off the shelves in time.

While some people are like that, the dude who asked the tough questions in the hinderer forum contributes in testing and reviews. And I see nothing wrong with looking for clarity, when in gkd a debate is being had on the amount of work a company does in house to their own blades. Sometimes asking for information comes off as just "generating heat" but perhaps they are valid questions.

I agree on the people who don't contribute in ANY way other than pot stirring. But I don't think that was the case here.
Not entirely true. Some people's only goal is to apparently "generate heat". Their posts serve no purpose other than to stir things up, bring attention to themselves and incite as many people as possible. They don't know if they are a spoon or a stove top. These same people are slowly being weeded out one by one and will continue to be removed. When someone proves they only want a pointless argument it's time for them to move on, because it clearly shows there is no desire to be part of what the community at large here is really about. Expect more spoons and stove tops to come flying off the shelves in time.

True that, RD. But if folks set up subforums here and expect that they're not going to have to deal with the good, the bad and the ugly, they're kidding themselves. If they want to be successful, they need to have their intention in the right place at the outset. And what's the right intention? To paraphrase JFK, I'd say they shouldn't come here asking what our community can do for them. They should come here asking what they can do for our community. So is there an example of someone who possesses the right intention around here? I can't think of a better example than Sal Glesser.

I think folks who want to set up subforums here should have to lurk for 30 days and get a feel for this place before we set them up. At least that way they'd have an idea of what they're in for.

Gotta remember, for us the forums are places for discussion, consumer advocacy, posting testing and reviews, getting feedback on designs and more.

For manufacturers they are, first and foremost, a method of advertising. If they determine it's not effective then, as a business, they should shut it down. If it is effective, keep it going. Thick or thin skin has little to do with it.

read what bld522 wrote, this isn't just a one way venue for them to advertise and they should realize that. I'm willing to bet that despite the few who question them, the hinderer subform pulled in more buyers than it dissuaded. They didn't like the relatively few questions and negative things that occasionally popped up so the quit. Thin skin has everything to do with it IMO. Your entitled to yours.

Another part of the problem is that Spark tries to select moderators who can deal with the different problems we see here.

When a knifemaker or manufacturer selects a moderator, he is probably taking someone off the workbench or office who may not have experience in management or customer service. If they don't spend much moderating, they may never learn how. They just get frustrated.

read what bld522 wrote, this isn't just a one way venue for them to advertise and they should realize that. I'm willing to bet that despite the few who question them, the hinderer subform pulled in more buyers than it dissuaded. They didn't like the relatively few questions and negative things that occasionally popped up so the quit. Thin skin has everything to do with it IMO. Your entitled to yours.

Maybe. They're in a much better place to determine the efficacy of any advertising they do than either of us. I don't try to read minds, so I don't pretend to have any idea why they shut it down, but the best business practices are often counter to what many of us would like to see done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back