Hinderer forum gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The job is easy, just need to have thick skin, be level headed, and try to see both sides of a disagreement. A low tolerance for BS also helps a great deal. You can't see a way around it because your perspective and membership level. In any case, time will tell if we are on the right track or not.
You call that easy? The most difficult of don Miguel Ruiz's Four Agreements has to be number 2 . . . don't take anything personally. To do the job you guys do fairly and evenly takes the patience of Job and the wisdom of Solomon. No small feat if you ask me. And yes, I acknowledge that my perspective and membership level don't give me a lofty perch. I just have to rely on the experience I've gained since I've been here and do the best I can to make sense of the horizon I'm presented with.

Good luck. I mean that sincerely!

Last edited:
Don't take anything personally.

Maybe this is a variant of that: if a member doesn't seem to need Bladeforums rules, then we don't need that member. Sharks are always hungry.

True that. Some need to have the rules instilled in them a little more severely than others. ;)

No worries, RD. I've pretty much always understood that. And I've been on the receiving end myself a couple of times. So I know you guys aren't messing around.

Hush up. Read more, post less.
Hi RD, I am so sorry you didn't like my post, I almost cried.
Trying to make sense of your wisdom, there are the legitimate haters aka Evil SuperMods and illegitimate haters aka trolls, sharks, etc. All the other annoying people who want to talk about knives better don't post here.
In that light the comment from philwar makes total sense:
LOL, right. No way Hinderer can exist without a small subforum on a website about knives... :rolleyes:

He'll be thrilled. Another magnet for the haters, only this time he can't even shut it down. But have at it. It's a free world. :thumbup:
Any comment about actual knives will just attract even more haters, legitimate or otherwise, and should be avoided.
Something is at odds here?

A little common sense would go a long way. Don't get too philosophical too quick, wait until you get the hang of this place and then you go all Socrates on whatever topic you like. You know nothing of me, at all. Please don't assume to, not a good idea.

Well now, Sad Panda, it looks like you do know why the Hinderer forum was shut down.

Homo habilis, you should understand that Bladeforums does not establish manufacturer forums for hobbyists,, only for manufacturers. This is why those forums are under the manufacturers' control. If they don't feel the forum is supporting their brand, they leave.

On the other hand, if the moderators feel tthat a member isn't working with Bladeforums, we send them to walk the plank, where the ever-circling sharks put an end to that argument.

I certainly felt that the RHK forum had too many ridiculous rules and was overly censored. Basically saying anything other than "I love Hinderer and my knife is perfect" would get you poo'ed on.

Personally I find my Hinderers to be frikkin excellent knives. I never would have paid the secondary prices of a few years ago but if any knife is "worth" $400 my examples certainly are.

The CRK forum has survived (and thrived) many years here on the BF. They have both received the highest praise and nonsensical criticism. And the product shines through. My guess is either Rick does not 1. believe in his product, 2. did not take enough time choosing or have faith in his Mods, or 3. just did not want to pay them. My guess is a combo of 2 & 3.

At least one of the manufacturer forum mods must be a paid employee, here could always be more employees willing to help, the rest volunteer members chosen by that manufacturer to assist.

I certainly felt that the RHK forum had too many ridiculous rules and was overly censored. Basically saying anything other than "I love Hinderer and my knife is perfect" would get you poo'ed on.

Personally I find my Hinderers to be frikkin excellent knives. I never would have paid the secondary prices of a few years ago but if any knife is "worth" $400 my examples certainly are.

The CRK forum has survived (and thrived) many years here on the BF. They have both received the highest praise and nonsensical criticism. And the product shines through. My guess is either Rick does not 1. believe in his product, 2. did not take enough time choosing or have faith in his Mods, or 3. just did not want to pay them. My guess is a combo of 2 & 3.
Too many assumptions in that to suit me. As I said before, I think it's a matter of matching the correct tool to the job. If you don't have the correct tool, either go get it don't try to do the job.

Moderating a forum . . . ANY FORUM . . . is not for the faint of heart or the weak of stomach. A great moderator will encourage discussion while at the same, know when and where to draw the line.

Too many assumptions in that to suit me. As I said before, I think it's a matter of matching the correct tool to the job. If you don't have the correct tool, either go get it don't try to do the job.

Moderating a forum . . . ANY FORUM . . . is not for the faint of heart or the weak of stomach. A great moderator will encourage discussion while at the same, know when and where to draw the line.

I agree. I don't know how one could come to those conclusions without a lot more evidence.

That said, if they were running the forum as a "don't spoil the fans' fun" type of forum, as I said before, I don't see anything wrong with that, and I think its a great model.

But you gotta do that or don't. Set down ground rules and stick to them. Doing that IS a tough job that requires understanding of the people who spend time at forums like this, as well as a thick skin.

That said, if they were running the forum as a "don't spoil the fans' fun" type of forum, as I said before, I don't see anything wrong with that, and I think its a great model.

But you gotta do that or don't. Set down ground rules and stick to them. Doing that IS a tough job that requires understanding of the people who spend time at forums like this, as well as a thick skin.

We have forums that manage to do this fairly well. Spyderco keeps an eye on what's happening and Sal himself sets the example. On another level, the Traditional forum sets fairly strict standards of topic and propriety.

Two wonderful examples for sure. I'd throw CRK in there as well. And it just goes to prove that forums can be open and lively and still be well-managed with the right people at the helm.

By the way, I know it sounds like people are sucking up when they say our moderating staff is great. But I don't care. You guys really ARE great . . . maybe the best group of moderators I've ever seen. You do a tough, thankless job for the most part. But I don't think this place could exist without you. Thanks!

I'd say it was about saving face, given that their lock is crap which is prone to such safety issues noted here in previous posts and they likely don't want to admit it….

[video=youtube;kLYeo3m162I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLYeo3m162I[/video]

We have forums that manage to do this fairly well. Spyderco keeps an eye on what's happening and Sal himself sets the example. On another level, the Traditional forum sets fairly strict standards of topic and propriety.

I agree. Said it before in this very thread...

There are more than enough sucessfully run manufacturer/maker subforums around to see how it works..

I meant "here." But it does take the time to look at those forums and see how the models work, then the commitment and effort involved to pick to a model and stick to it.

Again, I have no idea what happened here, but I'm sure some manufacturers find it all not worth the effort.

That says nothing about them, or the quality of their products.

It just can all be a big pain in the butt. And that's not sucking up...its just the way it is.

I'd say it was about saving face, given that their lock is crap which is prone to such safety issues noted here in previous posts and they likely don't want to admit it….

[video=youtube;kLYeo3m162I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLYeo3m162I[/video]

I think they left so they wouldn't have to put up with nonsense like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back