Home Built Surface Grinder

Yeah I wish I could find a way to make a magnet w/ an on/off switch... I toyed around with the idea of installing a series of electromagnets in the chuck but I don't think I have enough expertise in that area!

Yeah I wish I could find a way to make a magnet w/ an on/off switch... I toyed around with the idea of installing a series of electromagnets in the chuck but I don't think I have enough expertise in that area!
Well .......AC compressor in your car have inside electromagnet capable to hold you and me together , but they are round and about 4 inch dia. ........You just give me idea what to try next :thumbsup:In ABS brake device they use series of small electromagnets ...I will check how strong they are ..

I lookd at the designs for a permanent electro magnet as the current only switches poles to remove parts and isn’t needed to hold the part. The theory and bits I could find was interesting and reminded me I should have studied harder...

What if instead of grinding groove on CNC for magnet you make plate with ALL magnets .............one to one ?
The problem there is that to true the chuck to the contact wheel, you will be grinding off material from the surface of the chuck. depending on how true it is to begin with, you could be grinding a good bit of the magnets off. These magnets do not like a lot of heat either, so that could be an issue.

i had thought about a mag lock for the chuck, but a few concerns-
1. you have to power it.
2. you would have to have a surface plate over the face of it that could be ground down to true it.
3. although 600lb's of holding force sounds great, i'd be concerned about this thing sucking stuff in like a black hole. Although it would probably gather up years worth of accumulated grinding dust around the grinder!

The problem there is that to true the chuck to the contact wheel, you will be grinding off material from the surface of the chuck. depending on how true it is to begin with, you could be grinding a good bit of the magnets off. These magnets do not like a lot of heat either, so that could be an issue.
Kevin , they look like very precisely made . You can true first chuck and after that to put magnet on ...That way , well maybe ..... they will need very little to true ?
KA16UEc.jpg

Kevin , they look like very precisely made . You can true first chuck and after that to put magnet on ...That way , well maybe ..... they will need very little to true ?
KA16UEc.jpg
maybe. But I think you are over thinking it. with the spaces, it is still plenty strong, and the grooves give the grinding dust a place to accumulate that makes getting it off easier.

I agree with Kevin - over thinking a simple project. While the idea of an electromagnet sounds good, it's something that's not really needed, AND the problem of putting the final "true" grind pass on wouldn't work so well. It's not just the machining of the magnetic chuck that needs to be done, but also this trues up any issues with house true the everything else is. In a perfect world, it could be machined to be correct from the start, but I suspect anything you do will need a final truing pass.

I was wondering when somebody was going to build it so it can grind bevels. That is a feature of the original one (Travis's )right?

Yes that is correct. He uses a plate with two round pieces welded on it. By using shims you can angle the arm. I wanted something simpler without using shims.

Thats cool , really making me want one.
Natlek I am looking forward to that cnc grinder one day.;)

You Cerakoted the parts? Toni, this is a tool, NOT a custom gun! It sure does look good. I really like the looks of your feed adjustment. You're sure doing good work.

Ken H>

I want to thank Travis Wuertz for this design. I could never afford his, but I did a fairly good job making my own I think. It actually looks and works better better than I had even planned! And being that it cost me less than $250 to build really is something! Took me a couple weeks to finish, but not bad considering I'm down an arm/hand LOL!

***EDIT*** Video posted on page 5!

6k1SDNz.jpg

ORmNeme.jpg

nXXU0Xk.jpg

4SowrUC.jpg

p0Kx8q8.jpg
One armed,
Would you be willing to build these?

Back