Honestly, what is the best bushcraft/survival standalone folder?

Thick blades are rarely of value in something as delicate as a folder. I think that's more just current fashion than satisfying some sort of real world need.

I do like a thick, somewhat rounded spine, more for the comfort it provides my thumb in carving tasks than anything else. My thinner knives weren't breaking, but I find, for instance, that the A.G. Russels Woodswalker is really uncomfortable on my thumb due to how very thin it is.

A relatively thick blade with the correct grind can work really well. :)
A thick blade with an unsuitable grind is just really annoying when you try to use it for much. :(

If I had to roll it all up into one it would be my SAK Outrider.

In an ideal world I would make some changes to the Outrider, but as it stands it is just too handy for me to remove it from the top spot. There's enough about it to function as a useful gardening knife. There's often enough in it to function as a handy salvaging knife. It cuts well enough to make for a useful feeding / utility knife. It bites well enough into wood to make all the crude cuts one might ever need in a stick in respect to notches and joints, and remember it has that saw blade for that too. Yeah, despite there being some things I'd improve this would be my jack for all trades.

I also think that is a bit of a cheat answer 'cos the SAK Outrider is more than a knife. I feel it would be unfair of me to judge a knife as a knife if it came bundled with a sheath holding a saw, sewing needle, marlin spike, screwdriver, scissors and so on that gave it an unfair advantage. Where would that end, a handle in a pouch with an infinite supply of replacement blades? At what point am I judging the longevity of a broom that has had 5 new heads and 10 new handles? A SAK is a cheat that is why I have one. If I caught someone using the blade of one of my knives to dislodge shellfish from rock I'd probably want to twat 'em upside the head, yet I've used the screwdriver on the SAK for that a bunch of times. The cheat pattern repeats.

As far as pure knives go I do like a lot about the underlying design of the Svord Peasant. Sure it's made from L6 that rusts really easily if you don't tend its diaper regularly so it would be much better in a decent stainless. They aren't very hard either, and when you combine that with the simple steel they do blunt rather quickly. And I've written here before about the need to mod them so the blade can't clang into the hindmost pin. Further, as I actually find it safer to deploy the Svord Peasant with one hand rather than two, I find smoothing out the action with additional washers imperative. I want a consistent and reliable action when releasing that blade from a point of optimal retention. Just messing about with the screw head pins doesn't offer that.

What I do find great about the Peasant though is the way it cuts. Ever noticed on the noobs subforum here that when Opinel comes up you'll often see words to the effect of “cheap, useful, and will out cut every other knife in your collection”. And the cool kids eventually try one and it humiliates their way more expensive stuff. Well, same sort of deal with the Peasant. I've convexed lots of Opinels and probably done about a dozen Peasants now, and the Peasant gives away nothing to the Opinel in terms of cutting geometry. In fact, the Peasants actually cut better either blade up or down because of the handle. You can apply a lot mote power without even trying. You can test this easily without even leaving your kitchen. Get half a dozen butternut squashes to knock up some soup. You'll need the force with you if you use some dipshit Strider thing. You'll do better with a Buck 110. You'll be near “as good as you can cut 'em” with the Opinel. And you'll smile after using the Peasant.

Sure I like modern knives better for most things, not least because of the huge advantage modern materials affords us. And I do like a slick one handed deployment from a clipped on knife as much as anyone too, but in some circumstances the brutal simplicity of the Peasant wins. The handles kinda remind me of Robot Wars years ago – teams were making all these uberfangled stealth bomber looking things, and one team just entered a contraption hidden under the shell of a wheelie bin lid. Dumb and ugly but the other teams couldn't kill it. The Peasant handle so reminds me of that – big, dumb, cheap and ugly, but man does it work.

Another aspect I like about the Peasant it the simplicity of the tang. In addition to using bike tube rubber bands for stuff I've usually got a couple of thongs made from that stuff cut lengthways in one of my pockets. Probably a thread in itself, but it is sufficient to note here that it acts like micro-bungee cord. It's great for lashing around stuff. From knocking up quick tripods to attaching gear to racks it's great, so darn versatile. Well, if I'm to be using the Svord Peasant for any decent length of time I quickly whip a few turns of that over the handle and tang. In seconds I've added I high traction stopper for my hand and also effectively turned that into a light fixed blade. With the pivot pin at the font and that wrapped around the handle and tang I very strongly doubt I give away and strength to one of those trendy Scandis with a rat tail tang poked up a birch twig.

It might be worth mentioning that I do see Survival, Bushcraft, and Neo-Bushcraft as different things. Roughly speaking I see a great deal of salvage in Survival, and that is where I think the SAKs versatility will win out. The Neo-Bushcraft stuff is just silly. Enzo make a lovely folding Scandi for that crowd but let's face it nobody with a brain would pick it to make a wooden chain, carve a chess piece, or whittle a spoon, if you knew in advance that is what you wanted to do. You'd learn about wood carving and get a bunch of dedicated wood carving knives wouldn't you. A small set of those would piss on a folding Woodlore and pay for its taxi home, probably in a smaller lighter package. And if you are just stripping bark, making crude notches and putting a point on a marshmallow toasting stick, well you could do that with a Stanley knife more easily. Between the two extremes of Survival and playing Friar Tuck with ya itchy wool knickers and damp grizzled leathery pouch we have true bushcraft / field skills in the woods. For me, the knife for that mainly does vegetation and food. And on that one can do a lot worse than look at what knives gardeners use and why, what knives bodgers use and why, what thatchers use and why, and what cooks use and why. Apart from a limitations in materials a pattern soon emerges. If I had to incorporate as much of that as I could into a single off the shelf knife for me right now it would be the Svord Peasant.

I'm kind of partial to the adamas when it comes to a folder in the woods
IMG_20151213_164743_zpsxakns5bg.jpg

It really isn't a "bushcrafting" question, but more, "If you have the bushcraft skills, what folder might be good to practice them with and carry 'just in case'?" Or, what can you get the most done with that fits in a pocket?

Without prejudice, most any knife will do ya in the woods. We all are prejudiced in what we like and don't like and it changes or evolves all the time if you're interested in knives. Even though I normally only carry a plain two-layer 111mm Vic Sak, I can see the utility of carrying one with a saw such as the Trekker if you are a camper, or budding woods crafter (whatever that means?).

For a while, I was somewhat taken with the SOG Revolver concept for a woods knife. But in my world, I seldom really need a saw and prefer another knife. I have a Silky Pocketboy 130 for sawing if I am going to be camping over night and feel the urge to have a saw with me.

The practical "ME" always keeps coming back to a Vic Sak as the most functional knife overall and they are not glamorous at all. But one will do all the cutting you need to do.

Without prejudice, most any knife will do ya in the woods.

Agree 100% Being knife guys and a knife forum, we all obviously love many different types of knives. Some look nicer, feel nicer, cut longer etc. But in the woods, it boils down to just cutting stuff, where generally a reasonably sharp edge will do. I love my fancy handmade knives, and always will be intrigued by the next "cool thing" in the knife world. i have pretty much settled on a SAK Farmer, or a BM Ritter mini Grip (depending on mood, or what I might be doing that day) Both of them cut well, carry nicely and don't draw sideways glances from people.

Probably the Kostner Bushcraft folder if you can get a hold of one.

I really like my EnZo Birk 75 though.

24780471545_6c5ed09a7d_b.jpg

Check out the EnZo Borka & TBS Boar locking folder as well.

Whatever folder that's in my pocket does the bulk of the work outdoors. Emerson's mainly. I also prefer a one handed Vic Trekker for carving.

I like this one, by Redneck Knives in Orlando. 3 1/2 inch blade, Scandi grind, O1 steel, and a beefy Bocote wood handle. It easily handles all my bushcraft tasks.

Baldtaco-II, do you own the wood or plastic peasant? I haven't done any mods to the plastic except sharpening. (Actually 42b sharpened it for me before he shipped it. ;)) I sold the wooden one I used to have because it didn't work so well. There's something about the plastic that seems to hold the whole thing together well.

Shotgun, hey

Current one is plastic. In addition to putting a fine convex on it I shortened it a tad. I think it was about 4mm over “carry anywhere street legal”. Stuck in a couple of thin brass washers at the front and sleeved the rear pin to stop the blade hitting it. When I had it set just right I stuck a bit of blue Loctite on the threads before tightening. It's very predictable now.

just grab a PM2 :D

JHtv67a.png

Relatively speaking, I was researching lock failures, and Spyderco comes up way to often when you do a google image search. The spring seems to be a weak point in their lock backs. That puts Spyderco lockbacks low on my list.

Relatively speaking, I was researching lock failures, and Spyderco comes up way to often when you do a google image search. The spring seems to be a weak point in their lock backs. That puts Spyderco lockbacks low on my list.

I always had great results with their lockbacks, delicas and enduras. Though the pm2 compression lock is pretty strong thus far

My solution is the Opinel #10 Inox.
Getting acquainted by Pinnah, on Flickr

I modify mine. I file the tip to a drop point. I've taken other 10s down to a spear point and that works nicely too.

I round off the butt end for more hand comfort.

I flatten the sides (not shown in the picture) for better control and better pocket carry.

I file the ramp of the lock ring so the slot spins to the 9 o'clock position.

I melt beeswax in the joint to protect it from swelling when wet.

Combined, it's almost like a folding Mora Companion (I convex my Moras). Much easier to carry. Capable of battoning in an emergency (keep the lock ring disengaged).

Honestly? Well if that's the question it's going to be the one you actually have on your person or pack. As for the best there is no such thing IMHO.

Honestly? Well if that's the question it's going to be the one you actually have on your person or pack. As for the best there is no such thing IMHO.

I frankly hate this kind of response. You are the one who puts the knife in your pack. This isn't like elementary school where there was no predicting if mom put Fritos in your lunch or not.

You should be fully aware of which knife you have purchased and put in your pocket. This thread merely asks about those choices, not what to do when you have none.

My choice for the woods is Victorinox / Swiss Bianco Carver

bgICOrI.jpg

- Not too large or bulky
- Just about perfect thickness for hand
- Multiple blades for different jobs
- Saw for sawing stuff
- Awl for drilling holes, opening knots and other gear maintenance

Back