Honestly, what is the best bushcraft/survival standalone folder?

The "BEST" bushcraft / survivial folder you can own. That's easy, there is only one you NEED. All the rest are just a "want". This knife has a track record like the JM Browning 1911A1 45. Its "been there and done that" probably by your grandfather and maybe your great grandfather. Its a work horse and can preform every task a folding knife needs to do. I've actually never seen one broken but have seen blades sharpened down to half there original size. The great thing is, you can send it back and have a new blade installed very cheaply. A fellow could get by nicely with this one knife for the rest of his life. I'm sure some old timers have..

I'm talking about the Buck 110.
CD

for me it's the victorinox bushcrafter (swiss bianco exclusive)...i don't have a use for a bottle or can opener, or a corkscrew in the woods. the awl is perfect for striking a firesteel (the back of the saw works too but it can fold unless i use the area closest to the pivot) since not all my knives have sharp spines. i wish victorinox would release a normal version of it so it's cheap enough for me to give away to friends.

082_015_zpstzxyz9xm.jpg

Whichever folder that's with me at the time.
Emerson, Spyderco, benchmade, etc. I always carry a fixed+folder+multi tool in the woods.

ac808f53f21e15ad17f6d8bae2b089dd.jpg

I'm a huge fan of the SAK, particularly the Camper. I think I have..four? One in my car, one in my tool box, and one in my Camelbak. The fourth one was misplaced many moons ago, and then found again, in the cushions of my couch. I mainly like the thinner 91mm series because they're comfortable in the hand, and light. Can't really fault the superb grind on the blade, either. As much as I like the Farmer, the placement of the keyring digs into my hand. I would probably stick with the Spartan/Tinker, except that the saw layer is so minute that it doesn't add any appreciable difference in thickness or weight (for me). That's really saying something considering I'm one of the guys who has a Classic on my keyring instead of Rambler due to the former being thinner than the latter.

Honorable mention to Opinel. Super comfy handle, lightweight, superb blade grind, easy to sharpen. Just doesn't pull on the heart strings like a SAK does (for me). Same for the Zancudo/Avispa, with more modern materials.

So many directions to go on this.

1. The "best" is the one you actually have with you when the SHTF.
2. The "best" is the one YOU can use most effectively to get the job done (a .45 1911 may be great, but don't expect a 7 y.o. to shoot it well).
3. Is it really bushcrafting if you're bringing a $600 custom made knife and other equipment? Shouldn't you be making all your tools and shelter, etc. from materials in the woods?
4. The "best" one is the highest quality one you can get for what you are able to spend (combined with #2).
5. The "best" one is not likely going to be the one someone tells you is the best one, given that so many have provided entirely different answers to the same question, many with very valid reasons.

Variety - it's what helps us empty our bank accounts.

Shouldn't you be making all your tools and shelter, etc. from materials in the woods?

No.

If you want to go out there naked and chuck rocks at each other till you have a sharp edge, then search till you find a deer carcass to skin for clothing, go to it.
That is not what anyone refers to when talking of bushcraft though.

It is about doing more with less, not doing all with nothing. ;)

So many directions to go on this.

1. The "best" is the one you actually have with you when the SHTF.
2. The "best" is the one YOU can use most effectively to get the job done (a .45 1911 may be great, but don't expect a 7 y.o. to shoot it well).
3. Is it really bushcrafting if you're bringing a $600 custom made knife and other equipment? Shouldn't you be making all your tools and shelter, etc. from materials in the woods?
4. The "best" one is the highest quality one you can get for what you are able to spend (combined with #2).
5. The "best" one is not likely going to be the one someone tells you is the best one, given that so many have provided entirely different answers to the same question, many with very valid reasons.

Variety - it's what helps us empty our bank accounts.

I think those are all reasonable. What conclusions do they lead you to about a knife that would do the most things best for you?

No.

If you want to go out there naked and chuck rocks at each other till you have a sharp edge, then search till you find a deer carcass to skin for clothing, go to it.
That is not what anyone refers to when talking of bushcraft though.

It is about doing more with less, not doing all with nothing. ;)

Good point. Bushcraft, NOT survival.

I think those are all reasonable. What conclusions do they lead you to about a knife that would do the most things best for you?

If limited to just one, I'd probably also go with a multi-tool of one brand or another. Having knife blades plus saw blades, reaming blade, maybe even pliers or scissors for first-aid, magnifying glass, etc. would (for me) be far superior to having just a single fixed or folding blade and needing to do all with it.
No can opener or church key needed, though :)

73469-004-A2552B58.jpg

I'd have to agree with those who mentioned the Svord Peasant. Although I now own three of the Vic Farmer (umm, how did that happen???) and love that model, the Svord Peasant fits the bill as a simple folder that can handle most bushcraft tasks. In my view, it's the odd extended tang that adds a bit of utility. Among other things, it can stand up to light batoning if you pretend the handle isn't there and beat on the spine while holding onto the extended tang as if it was a fixed blade. With a bit of wire or cord, the tang can be tied down to the handle to transform it, in minutes, into a field-expedient fixed blade. The blade can be easily sharpened in the field and has a good shape for many woodcraft tasks.

Example from Woodtrekker's blog:

203_thumb%25255B1%25255D.jpg

Here's a Peasant I modified just for fun with a stag handle. It doesn't make it any stronger of a knife, just prettier. I'm about to do another one similar using a mini-Peasant blade:

Svord1_zpsmttgtwaa.jpg

I'd have to agree with those who mentioned the Svord Peasant. Although I now own three of the Vic Farmer (umm, how did that happen???) and love that model, the Svord Peasant fits the bill as a simple folder that can handle most bushcraft tasks. In my view, it's the odd extended tang that adds a bit of utility. Among other things, it can stand up to light batoning if you pretend the handle isn't there and beat on the spine while holding onto the extended tang as if it was a fixed blade. With a bit of wire or cord, the tang can be tied down to the handle to transform it, in minutes, into a field-expedient fixed blade. The blade can be easily sharpened in the field and has a good shape for many woodcraft tasks.

Example from Woodtrekker's blog:

203_thumb%25255B1%25255D.jpg

Here's a Peasant I modified just for fun with a stag handle. It doesn't make it any stronger of a knife, just prettier. I'm about to do another one similar using a mini-Peasant blade:

Svord1_zpsmttgtwaa.jpg

Beautiful mod job on that Peasant, very nice! :thumbup:

Back