Honestly, what is the best bushcraft/survival standalone folder?

The knife I always carry is my GAK, fills most my needs and can make tiny traps ! 😜

P1130003.jpg

I usually carry a Victorinox Forester. I think that will be a good standalone "survival" knife if needed.

Thick blades are rarely of value in something as delicate as a folder. I think that's more just current fashion than satisfying some sort of real world need.

Relatively speaking, I was researching lock failures, and Spyderco comes up way to often when you do a google image search. The spring seems to be a weak point in their lock backs. That puts Spyderco lockbacks low on my list.

I frankly hate this kind of response. You are the one who puts the knife in your pack. This isn't like elementary school where there was no predicting if mom put Fritos in your lunch or not.

You should be fully aware of which knife you have purchased and put in your pocket. This thread merely asks about those choices, not what to do when you have none.

Starting a thread asking a question only to argue with the responses is something I don't understand. Seems like you already know the answer to your question.

For me, the question is flawed because I see bushcraft and survival as too different things, neither of which can be defined to an acceptable degree for everyone to agree on. If it is survival I would want a stout knife, buscraft, less stout more slicey.

When I go into the woods I take a folder and a fixed blade on me (hell, when I walk around town I take a small fixed blade and a folder). The folder is usually my PM2 but many of my other folders would work as well, despite being much thicker. I know, I'm wrong, but I thought I'd try.

Starting a thread asking a question only to argue with the responses is something I don't understand. Seems like you already know the answer to your question.

For me, the question is flawed because I see bushcraft and survival as too different things, neither of which can be defined to an acceptable degree for everyone to agree on. If it is survival I would want a stout knife, buscraft, less stout more slicey.

When I go into the woods I take a folder and a fixed blade on me (hell, when I walk around town I take a small fixed blade and a folder). The folder is usually my PM2 but many of my other folders would work as well, despite being much thicker. I know, I'm wrong, but I thought I'd try.

There is nothing wrong with both asking a general question and having my own opinions about the answer, or interacting with those who respond. Especially when my answers are very similar to several other people's answers. Pretending this represents some sort of dishonesty or rudeness on my part is ridiculous.

This part of your post, like the "use what you got" post disrespects the thread topic. The thread topic is knife choice, not posting style or "I am unable to choose which knife I carry".

If you have some personal issues to work out with me, please PM me, because this is off topic.

Relatively speaking, I was researching lock failures, and Spyderco comes up way to often when you do a google image search. The spring seems to be a weak point in their lock backs. That puts Spyderco lockbacks low on my list.

I'm sure you realize but the PM2 has a compression lock. A very sturdy locking mechanism. They have never failed me. Neither have any of the lockback i've had over the years.

My choice for the woods is Victorinox / Swiss Bianco Carver

bgICOrI.jpg

- Not too large or bulky
- Just about perfect thickness for hand
- Multiple blades for different jobs
- Saw for sawing stuff
- Awl for drilling holes, opening knots and other gear maintenance

I like this one, by Redneck Knives in Orlando. 3 1/2 inch blade, Scandi grind, O1 steel, and a beefy Bocote wood handle. It easily handles all my bushcraft tasks.

Quality choices A.L and Mannlicher. Nice to see some less common blades for a change. :D:thumbup:

My bad. I was thinking of a different Spyderco when I responded. I have one with a Compression lock and it is very strong.

Thanks for the correction.

Correlational data is not causal, but more along the lines of circumstantial. One never knows what the hell someone did to a knife to make it fail from a picture. There is always a whole lot more, and more often than not those people that jump to post pictures of failed knives have done really stupid things with them, yet they conveniently leave out some or most of the details. People are people, oh well. I like to form my own opinions from use, if I decide outright I don't like a knife, it's no longer worth my time or consideration as a potential tool for me; relatively speaking of course.

I frankly hate this kind of response. You are the one who puts the knife in your pack. This isn't like elementary school where there was no predicting if mom put Fritos in your lunch or not.

You should be fully aware of which knife you have purchased and put in your pocket. This thread merely asks about those choices, not what to do when you have none.

Hate is such a harsh word brother. Relax it's just the internet. For me it's just a fact of life at times I don't have the "perfect" tool on my person. There is also another aspect to it. A less than perfect knife being actually used transcends quests for perfection IMHO.

For example.

So is that the "perfect" knife? Yes because I actually had it on hand when needed and it helped me do something I enjoy.
It's all good and to each their own. :)

Last edited:
That looks tasty!

Hey, you chose to take what is commonly thought to be a good choice for general use in the field - the Opinel. Good for mushrooms and a lot of other tasks in the field.

My thinking in writing this thread was simply that bushcraft skills may save your life in a pinch, so what's a good choice in something either tough enough or flexible enough to make up for the fact that it was just the knife you happened to have with you. And there can be many answers to that question, but there probably are some wrong answers, in varying degrees.

I put my money where my mouth is and bought an Opinel and a saw equipped SAK. Then I bought some more used SAKs with saws and rebuilt them, removing the screwdrivers and bottle openers and leaving the wood working tools to slim them down.

I think it is possible to make a folding knife that is nearly as strong as a fixed blade, I just haven't seen it yet. Other folks are more confident. But I'd like to see something that really jams the blade and handle into one unit, rather than just some way of blocking the pivot.

Thanks to everyone's suggestions and experience.

Yup! I like SAK as well because have a bunch of them and tend to toss one in every kit so will probably actually have it on hand when in the woods. Not the best in the world by a long shot but also not junk (IMHO).

Yup! I like SAK as well because have a bunch of them and tend to toss one in every kit so will probably actually have it on hand when in the woods. Not the best in the world by a long shot but also not junk (IMHO).

My trusty SAK spartans (the oldest one I've had for over 20 years) have sent many a packed lunch to meet their maker. :cool:

Honestly.... As much as I am a knife guy, i don't try to kid myself. None of my folders or fixed blades are nearly as useful outside as my basic Leatherman PST.... And that's all of 25 years old.
If I want a dedicated blade, any of my folders or fixed blades will let me do what I "Need" to do as far as "bushcraft" goes.... But they all take a backseat to a good multi tool when it comes to backcountry utility.

I thought my $0.02 on the multitool / leatherman fair, given the OP specifically included this type of "knife" in the original post.

Last edited:
Cool knife.

It really is.
Unique, locks the blade out super securely, and the handle ergonomics are superb. :thumbup:

The handle is the most important part in many respects, and this knife also proves that designing for utility can look good too.
The first thing my wife said was "I really like the look of that handle." :)

I like this one, by Redneck Knives in Orlando. 3 1/2 inch blade, Scandi grind, O1 steel, and a beefy Bocote wood handle. It easily handles all my bushcraft tasks.

Didn't think I'd need another knife. Hmm. Wonder how much

Back