1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

How about a 2015 wild edible thread ?

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by dipbait, Apr 28, 2015.

1. dipbait

dipbait

Feb 9, 2008
    It may not go over . The fishing threads have been going for several years. Anyway some morels I found yesterday .

[​IMG]

2. AmericanAsApple3.14

AmericanAsApple3.14 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 10, 2014
    Forgive my ignorance - but what exactly are those?

3. taldesta

taldesta Retired :-) Time is the Gold Platinum Member

Jan 24, 2013
    In dipbait's great pic above he shows the common morel, one of several identified wild mushrooms - prized by foragers of wild plants.

4. Woods Walker

Woods Walker

Jun 3, 2010
    Great idea! :) On my next daily hike I will look for a wild edible and post a pic here.

5. AmericanAsApple3.14

AmericanAsApple3.14 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 10, 2014
    Great, thank you! I was always told as a kid to avoid mushrooms period because of the bad ones and I've not ever known any good ones so this is great. Is there a way to tell, generally speaking, what's an edible mushroom as opposed to one that will make you sick or trippy? Or do you just need to know particular species?

6. dipbait

dipbait

Feb 9, 2008
    You need to know. Dont take chances . The morel season is short. I wont get any more mushrooms til late summer or fall .

7. nozyk

nozyk

Jun 17, 2010
    I have many family members who are experts in mushroom foraging and know there is much to learn and be familiar with in this pursuit. There's manyntypes of false morels which can make you very ill and even kill you. The same applies to many of the varieties I believe? Most I ever do is scavenge for ramps in the spring.

8. B34NS

B34NS

Dec 30, 2013
    Those are some good looking morels!!

I'm all for a wild edible thread. :thumbup:

9. heefageLA

heefageLA Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Subscribed. Post them tasty treats!

10. Shotgun

Shotgun Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2006
    DO NOT TAKE ADVISE FROM THE INTERNET ON WILD EDIBLES! Just don't do it. Find someone in your area that can take you out and show you. A few pics and a couple sentences of description is not enough to base eating random plants on. Especially mushrooms. Sorry for the rant but wild edibles is one of those things you shouldn't mess with without good instruction.

11. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    [​IMG]

In our literal back yard, and delicious.

First wild mushrooms I ever picked and ate; same boat as many others. Always told to stay away.

There is a strict protocol for where to pick so they're not loaded with pesticides, checking to be sure they're not false, prep and cooking, tasting a sample and waiting for a reaction, and then not eating 2 pounds at the first sitting.

Dipped in potato starch and fried in butter. They were awesome

12. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    This is from one of my recent threads, sorry about the poor pic.

While out and about today I came across a rather prolific wild edible......Dead Nettles !

[​IMG]

I actually found these growing today in large numbers amongst both Dandelions and Miners Lettuce, if that's not god handing you a salad on a plate I don't know what is !

13. Dantone05

Dantone05

Dec 31, 2014
    Morels and some False Solomons Seal after a walk this weekend.
    Tiny bit of sliced garlic and water .... :D:thumbup:

[​IMG]

14. DocGP

DocGP

Feb 22, 2009
    This is the wild edible I plan on harvesting this fall;

[​IMG]

Doc

15. Codger_64

Codger_64 Moderator Moderator

Oct 8, 2004
    Here is a brief list of wild edibles for my area, Idaho, provided by the USDA Forrest Service on their website.

Camas - Camassia quamash
    Shortstyle Onion - Allium brevistylum
    Fireweed - Epilobium angustifolium
    Wild Ginger - Asarum caudatum
    Meadow Salsify - Tragopogon pratensis
    Rose - Rosa woodsii
    Yellow Pond Lily - Nuphar polysepalum
    Cattail - Typha latifolia
    Yarrow - Achillea millefolium
    Evert's or Elk Thistle - Cirsium scariosum
    Serviceberry - Amelanchier alnifolia
    Wild Strawberry - Fragaria vesca
    Field Mint - Mentha arvensis
    Oregon Grape - Berberis repens

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/ipnf/maps-pubs/?cid=fsm9_019122

I assume that the same type lists are available for most areas of the U.S. there.

16. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    I noticed yesterday that our Camas is out in force. The Oregon Grape isn't out here just yet. We also have Fairy Slipper orchids out right now, their corms make good eating. We also have Miners lettuce in large supply.

17. upnorth

upnorth

Nov 25, 2006
    Still waiting for the local wild asparagus. I check now and then, but it's usually early to mid May when it shows up around here.

18. Woods Walker

Woods Walker

Jun 3, 2010
    A few hours ago returned from a night hike. My day/night hiking pack is up to 35 lbs.

[​IMG]

Violets are a wild edible. Ate the flowers and leaves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. knoefz

knoefz

Mar 20, 2009
    Great thread!
    Wild onions are popping up in the woods here this time of year:

[​IMG]

20. tonym

tonym

Mar 18, 2008
    I miss these threads. Easily my favorite spring time edible plant; Allium tricoccum. Up north we call them Wild Leeks, the southern folk know them as Ramps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a bunch of info on the plant from my friend Marty Simon of The Wilderness Learning Center.

Last edited: May 11, 2015