1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

How about a 2015 wild edible thread ?

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by dipbait, Apr 28, 2015.

1. B34NS

B34NS

Dec 30, 2013
    Nice ramps score! One of my favorite foods ever! :thumbup:

2. HawkCreekRedneck

HawkCreekRedneck

Feb 27, 2014
    Nobody else from the desert huh? Ok well here's some Biscuit Root.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. ISKski

ISKski

Apr 11, 2011
    Tried these for the first time this year (were good last week in march). Pine pollen cones - delicious with a very neutral slightly alkaline flavor, think a hint of pine seriously watered down.

[​IMG]

I also tried persimmons for the first time this year. I found them early in the Fall ('14) and read that I had to wait till it after the first freeze to eat them. So I came back later in the season when they looked like this (see below) and they still sucked the spit straight out of my mouth! Someone please explain how you eat these things!

[​IMG]

I think I missed mushrooms this year (again) so I'm hoping to try that for the first time next year.

From what I've seen over the last weekend:

The Mulberry trees are starting to ripen, The Cherries are taken by the birds already, Rasp/blackberries are starting to flower, and I've yet to see any other fruit.

I decided I needed to learn more about over looked and less obvious edibles so

Labor Day weekend my girlfriend and I are doing an two day overnight spring edible class in the North GA mountains with "Medicine Bows ltd". I'm pretty excited for that.

4. dipbait

dipbait

Feb 9, 2008
    ISKski ,
    Lots of mushrooms to be picked this summer and fall .

5. AmericanAsApple3.14

AmericanAsApple3.14 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 10, 2014
    Not exactly a wild location (woods area near where I work) - but definitely wild themselves. I got my first ripe blackberry last week and there should be more to come - for a little while anyway :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  6. ISKski

ISKski

Apr 11, 2011
    [​IMG]
    queen annes lace - wild carrot

[​IMG]
    sorrel

7. Smithhammer

Smithhammer

Nov 9, 2012
    It's been a good morel year... :thumbup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Woods Walker

Woods Walker

Jun 3, 2010
    Here is a violets wild edible I did during my last outing.

[video=youtube;JrTEC9uNdCE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrTEC9uNdCE[/video]

9. Brisket

Brisket

Aug 2, 2009
    Some wild dewberries from the Texas Gulf Coastal Plains which received more rainfall than recent years so the berries were more plentiful and of better grade this season. I picked 3 gallons this year and my wife made several pies for family and for my birthday. Photo is from a previous season but typical of the locale.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  10. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    Indian Plum just coming into season here !

[​IMG]

11. ISKski

ISKski

Apr 11, 2011
    The inner bark of twigs from a Flowering Dogwood (Cornus Florida) steeped like tea has been alleviating my girlfriend of her headache for the past 48hrs..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after it steeps (20min) it gets a rosy color..

[​IMG]

12. timw1

timw1 Swamp Yankee Platinum Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Man I wish there were morels to pick in my state (CT), unfortunately there are very few, if any. However, I do pick about 28 different species of other wild mushrooms and tons of ramps! I honestly contemplated flying up to the upper peninsula of Michigan to pick Morels this year.

13. Hacked

Hacked

Jun 1, 2010
    [​IMG]

Laetiporus AKA Chicken of the Woods, enjoyed on a recent trip the GWNF VA. Not the best image but I imagine most have seen and tried this tasty fungi.

14. I.N.F.K

I.N.F.K

Jul 7, 2012
    I haven't found a single mushroom this year so far in any of my regular spots. It's either too dry or too wet :(

15. B34NS

B34NS

Dec 30, 2013
    Found some Boletus Edilus even in an extreme drought year.
    [​IMG]

Motherlode of chx in the woods
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  16. mewolf1

mewolf1 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Nice score!! Morel season kinda sucked here. Waiting for the Chanterelle season to kick off now.

17. B34NS

B34NS

Dec 30, 2013
    Thanks! Yea ours out here too. Just been so dry from the drought. I've got a couple little coastal pockets to try out the next few weekends that might be promising. Oh man, I love chanterelles! Looking forward to some photos if you find some!

18. ISKski

ISKski

Apr 11, 2011
    [​IMG]

came across blueberry patch at peak ripeness today..

19. mewolf1

mewolf1 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 24, 2005
    The wait is over.:D

[​IMG]

20. B34NS

B34NS

Dec 30, 2013
    jealous! Great haul!