How about a 2015 wild edible thread ?

I picked a bag of chanterelles last weekend. First time I've harvested them and they were delicious. The area I found them in was close to a road but steep. The payoff was more than worth the time and effort. I've hunted morels for years and seldom had as many mushrooms per steps as I did with the chanterelles.

Here are some pictures from some outings this year. I've been mushrooming for 13 years, it's one of my favorite things to do! :thumbup:

Some wild (feral) asparagus.
44XgMNXl.jpg

First black morels of the year.
5zPdr48l.jpg

One of the nicer hauls.
xvglVhol.jpg

First chanterelles of 2015.
x6N3t5Yl.jpg

First porcini from last Sunday.
mFXtKHwl.jpg

Some hawks wings (scaly hedgehogs).
hC7SLEWl.jpg

And an artsy picture...
rCHoPP3l.jpg

Last edited:
I found some chantereles ,I think, but having never picked them before I left them. Should have took some pictures and have you guys ID them for me .

I found some chantereles ,I think, but having never picked them before I left them. Should have took some pictures and have you guys ID them for me .
I know the feeling. I made a couple trips taking pictures and bringing home samples before deciding to pick a few for dinner. They were delicious, but the wife was still too concerned to eat more than one.

Chanterelles are one of the easier species to ID. Not the easiest but relatively simple once you know the traits you're looking for.

Fungus season is NOT over!:cool:

Black Trumpets

Last of the Chanterelles

Chicken of the woods

Looks like a good year for chinkapin. Only a few were ripe yesterday but that will change over the next few weeks.

Has anyone used Japanese Knotweed ?? Apparently leaves and roots [rhizoms] are edible .KW is in the buckwheat familly so the honey has an [excellent ] mild buckwheat flavor. Now along the Upper Delaware River the plant is in HUGE numbers and in full bloom !

Not for food,, yet, but the root tea for Lyme. Use for Lyme treatment is a long process, but works!:thumbup:
Has anyone used Japanese Knotweed ?? Apparently leaves and roots [rhizoms] are edible .KW is in the buckwheat familly so the honey has an [excellent ] mild buckwheat flavor. Now along the Upper Delaware River the plant is in HUGE numbers and in full bloom !

for the borage fans

zMU8W8r.jpg

farm eggs, strawberries and cherry toms from the garden, wild mints, chickweed, sorrel for the rest of breakfast

nyw3iFq.png

King salmon collars
ndZA04L.png

Fort Bragg uni
WLVNDRF.jpg

Last edited:

Big haul today - Chinquapin Oak acorns (monstrous) - Crabapples - Muscadines ... Gonna try to make flour from the acorns and jelly from the rest

Back