1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

How about a 2015 wild edible thread ?

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by dipbait, Apr 28, 2015.

1. timw1

timw1 Swamp Yankee Platinum Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Which state do you live in? I never find chanterelles like those. The only chanterelles I find are the very small bright orange cinabon's.....nice find!

2. mewolf1

mewolf1 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Minnesota.;)

3. mewolf1

Oct 24, 2005
    ..and it's just getting started, but I say that every year and the rains quit.:( The 2010 season yielded about 30 lbs..:cool:

4. ISKski

ISKski

Apr 11, 2011
    [​IMG]

These are finally getting sweet

5. ISKski

ISKski

Apr 11, 2011
    wild ginger

[​IMG]

sassafras root tea

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. fishiker

fishiker

Nov 5, 2006
    I picked a bag of chanterelles last weekend. First time I've harvested them and they were delicious. The area I found them in was close to a road but steep. The payoff was more than worth the time and effort. I've hunted morels for years and seldom had as many mushrooms per steps as I did with the chanterelles.

7. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Here are some pictures from some outings this year. I've been mushrooming for 13 years, it's one of my favorite things to do! :thumbup:

Some wild (feral) asparagus.
    [​IMG]

First black morels of the year.
    [​IMG]

One of the nicer hauls.
    [​IMG]

First chanterelles of 2015.
    [​IMG]

First porcini from last Sunday.
    [​IMG]

Some hawks wings (scaly hedgehogs).
    [​IMG]

And an artsy picture...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  8. dipbait

dipbait

Feb 9, 2008
    I found some chantereles ,I think, but having never picked them before I left them. Should have took some pictures and have you guys ID them for me .

9. fishiker

fishiker

Nov 5, 2006
    I know the feeling. I made a couple trips taking pictures and bringing home samples before deciding to pick a few for dinner. They were delicious, but the wife was still too concerned to eat more than one.

10. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Chanterelles are one of the easier species to ID. Not the easiest but relatively simple once you know the traits you're looking for.

11. mewolf1

Oct 24, 2005
    The Lobsters are popping!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. mewolf1

Oct 24, 2005
    Fungus season is NOT over!:cool:

Black Trumpets
    [​IMG]

Last of the Chanterelles
    [​IMG]

Chicken of the woods
    [​IMG]

13. fishiker

fishiker

Nov 5, 2006
    Looks like a good year for chinkapin. Only a few were ripe yesterday but that will change over the next few weeks.
    [​IMG]

14. mete

mete Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Has anyone used Japanese Knotweed ?? Apparently leaves and roots [rhizoms] are edible .KW is in the buckwheat familly so the honey has an [excellent ] mild buckwheat flavor. Now along the Upper Delaware River the plant is in HUGE numbers and in full bloom !

15. mewolf1

Oct 24, 2005
    Not for food,, yet, but the root tea for Lyme. Use for Lyme treatment is a long process, but works!:thumbup:

16. B34NS

B34NS

Dec 30, 2013
    for the borage fans

[​IMG]

farm eggs, strawberries and cherry toms from the garden, wild mints, chickweed, sorrel for the rest of breakfast

[​IMG]

King salmon collars
    [​IMG]

Fort Bragg uni
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  17. ISKski

ISKski

Apr 11, 2011
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Big haul today - Chinquapin Oak acorns (monstrous) - Crabapples - Muscadines ... Gonna try to make flour from the acorns and jelly from the rest

18. fishiker

fishiker

Nov 5, 2006
    The rain held off enough for me to get out this morning and pick a few of these.
    [​IMG]

19. DOC-CANADA

DOC-CANADA

Apr 14, 2006
    mewolf1, do you have any links to its use for Lyme?

Doc

20. Pioneer Valley

Pioneer Valley

Nov 7, 2014
    Put up a batch of black walnuts to dry today. They are quite the chore. Anyone got any tips? Thanks.