How about a Camp knife challenge ?

gotta have more than chopping in it. shaving curls, batoning, and ..... what else?

:p You can shave curls with a razor blade!

Shelter building, Staff Halving (ability to split proper elongate wood cleanly in half, either speedily or slowly), hand fatigue while: A. Chopping B. Camp and vegetation clearing C. angled chopping (digging stick!) or carving. Bark peeling for tent poles/ draw knife. Vegetable work. Not carrots, gourds. Axe handle making (inspired by Siguy). Match splitting. Deep Notch carving. Thatch cutting for huts. Use of point: can it drill a hole?, Spine strength (using the spine to mash fatwood, create sparks, heck if the material is available, scrape hide.) Pepsi Can slicing (fun) Vine Slicing (binding/water procurement).Rawhide lace making. Sod cutting. Even though it’s a chopper, snap cutting (hard to do without a good edge, and sweetgum will let you know). Rectangular board making/splitting. Newspaper roll chopping (my little surprise for later, don’t worry, its related). Bone work: bone splitting, chisel making, fish hooks, bull roarers!

Thanks, JC in SC.

I had said earlier that I would be donating this knife, but since it is O1 instead of CPM3V, I can't release it as my work but only as a prototype...*shrug*

But hopefully this will see production....probably not until next year though...:(

Dan
Very beautiful knife! Love all your designs actually!
However i don't entirely understand why it being 01 instead of CPM3V would prevent it being released as your work?
:confused:

:p You can shave curls with a razor blade!

Shelter building, Staff Halving (ability to split proper elongate wood cleanly in half, either speedily or slowly), hand fatigue while: A. Chopping B. Camp and vegetation clearing C. angled chopping (digging stick!) or carving. Bark peeling for tent poles/ draw knife. Vegetable work. Not carrots, gourds. Axe handle making (inspired by Siguy). Match splitting. Deep Notch carving. Thatch cutting for huts. Use of point: can it drill a hole?, Spine strength (using the spine to mash fatwood, create sparks, heck if the material is available, scrape hide.) Pepsi Can slicing (fun) Vine Slicing (binding/water procurement).Rawhide lace making. Sod cutting. Even though it’s a chopper, snap cutting (hard to do without a good edge, and sweetgum will let you know). Rectangular board making/splitting. Newspaper roll chopping (my little surprise for later, don’t worry, its related). Bone work: bone splitting, chisel making, fish hooks, bull roarers!

Down with all that- but really, shaving curls with big choppers is harder than with a razor :D

wait a minute- surprise for later? now I'm scared?

Very beautiful knife! Love all your designs actually!
However i don't entirely understand why it being 01 instead of CPM3V would prevent it being released as your work?
:confused:

I prefer to keep prototypes to myself. :D

They're not a *true* representation of what actually hits the shelves...more of a test of design, balance, handle shape, etc.

If I had had the CPM3V I would have released it as #001 of ___

Just the way I do things, I guess.

Dan

Mine shipped yesterday priority via USPS. Should be there tomorrow.

SDS

Mine shipped yesterday...should be there in 8 days. A little later than I had hoped.

mine should be at Brian's today/tomorrow at the latest.

Dan

Mine was shipped Thurs Sept. 24th. It should be there early next week.

Hey Guys,

I will do a more detailed update tomorrow. But, I do have the following:

Noshtero, Bruce Culberson, Koyote, Stomper, Ray, and Koster.

I know there are others current enroute as well.

B

There are some really nice knives shown here, and I look forward to the test results. Congrats in advance to all that have offered a sample.

Dan, this knife is beautiful! :thumbup: I want one !

And some more pics....

Different angles...

MUCK-0923-04.jpg

MUCK-0923-05.jpg

MUCK-0923-06.jpg

A close-up showing the lanyard hole (and highlighting the blue liners)

MUCK-0923-07.jpg

Same angle, but better for showing the pommel strike.

MUCK-0923-08.jpg

The front ricasso/handle area - also good shot for showing just how 'textured' and grippy the natural canvas micarta can be.

MUCK-0923-09.jpg

I can't wait, but I'm nervous, too. Some damned good knives in this one.

i think ive read this thread 4 times now!!!! great job all!! i cant wait for testing to begin!

I can't wait, but I'm nervous, too. Some damned good knives in this one.

As much as I would love to hande all of these, I would not want to try to pick one for a winner.
Great looking knives gentlemen.:thumbup:

as much as I personally believe in my own design and way of making things....I'm not in this to win it.

It was my understanding at the first, that this would be a "rise to the challenge" event.

That knifemakers would need to create a knife that would meet certain tasks.

That an unbiased reviewer would do his best to fairly evaluate all the knives at the same tasks (removing many variables)....so that all makers who submitted knives might see the strengths and weaknesses of their designs.

I'm not looking forward to a chest-thumping pissin' contest with a winner-takes-all conclusion.

I don't know if I'd want to even be the winner....a different tester....different day....different skill set....different "testing".....different winner for sure. Seems like short-lived glory.

What I am interested in is seeing if the money and the mouth are "in line together"...so to speak. :D

I do test my knives and for me they work great. But I also have a certain mindset. And I don't get much opportunity to learn from other makers by testing their designs.

I have certain tastes...and avoid certain design features personally...but that doesn't mean they don't work. They just don't fit me.

So, I hope this isn't coming off as a rant....I know Brian will do what we want him to do. If he decides to pick a winner, I won't disagree. I just hope that won't be the only outcome of the testing. I'm waaaaay more interested in the individual tests. I wish I could be there with my camera to capture it all !!!

:thumbup:

Dan

I agree with you Dan. I was actually thinking the same thing. You said it better than I could have:thumbup:

Back