How did you get your first Becker knife?

Hi everybody,

I was wondering how most people here first got introduced to Becker knives.

I had seen them on the Ka-Bar site, but didn't give them too much thought. I don't remember seeing them at any of the gun shows I went to either.
After I joined BF I kept seeing posts by people called 'Beckerheads' discussing how great the BK&T knives were.
This year I ordered a BK7 without ever physically holding one. I haven't gotten to use it much yet, but I really like it.

I have to say though, I found the stock pictures a bit misleading. The large BK's handles looked pretty bulky to me. After looking up the dimensions though, this didn't seem to be the case. Actually, after first holding my BK7, I've thought about getting some liners to add some width!
j1t2p3

Last edited:
I had a Ka-Bar USMC combat knife but wanted a better 'field' knife.

Googled, discovered BladeForums, discovered Becker Knife & Tool subforum, discovered Becker knives, researched, found BK24 for sale cheap, HOOKED!

I did some research for the best 1 knife solution and found this site and the BK2. My parents got it for me last Christmas.

I read an article somewhere on the BK-11 back in the Camillus days. Got a couple on sale online.

I find the slimmer profile on the 7 and 9 (vs. the 2) preferable because it makes it easier to shift around to different grips. IMO, a thick handle optimizes for a grip-in-the-fist hold at the expense of everything else. I like the stock tweener grips for the same reason.

I was introduced to the BK2 via YouTube but didn't purchase one until I got my hands on one at a gun show over a year ago.

I was searching just for a good single camp knife. I was looking at lots of other blades (Sog Seal Pup, Gerber Progidy, etc), and was reading through many different forum posts about the same knives. In those I saw many people comment "I would rather just buy a Becker BK2 or the like instead with that kind of money".

So I looked it up, and then looked for reviews and found Brabs crazy "Put the BK2 to the test so you don't have to" thread, and I think thats really what put me over the edge.

Came to Bladeforums and started posting because I had a carry question about the BK2, as well as wondering how warranty service was (my sheath came broken). But then I stuck around for some reason :p.

I've been happy with it so far, although like I've said before if I get the chance I might swap it for the BK10/16 if given the chance, and certainly would do the same if I could somehow start over again.

Birthday gift from my Bro-in-law, BK2. which brought me here, which brought me more knives, which kept bringing me here, which brought even more knives.....

Once upon a time, I discovered a knife with a bottle opener on the handle. As a new college student, I thought that was awesome.

I bought my BK-11 on the ESEE forums.:D

I had seen beckers in catalogs before and found them interesting but at the time I just wasn't that interested in fixed blades. Well I finally decided that I want a good fixed blade for woods use. So I started researching, one day I got a product catalog from kabar and as I was flipping through the bk10 caught my eye, over the next year I looked at all sorts if knives, esee's, tops, falknevin, but I kept on coming back to the bk10, but there was an unfortunate lack of reviews. So I signed up here and was Directed to this forum where I was welcomed and they answered every question I had about the 10, so I finally decided to get one, and I haven't regretted it once.
It is by far my favorite knife

Was looking for my first fixed blade knife for backpacking, after years of using SAKs and other cheapo folders. After researching blades from companies like Gerber/BG, Cold Steel, ESEE, Condor, and Falknifen, my google-fu directed me to Bladeforums, and the Becker subforum in particular.

I must of spent a month lurking here reading everything I could, first about the BK2, then about the tweeners. Finally pulled the trigger on a 16, which has served my needs perfectly. The performance to value ratio of these knives appeals to my el cheapo sensibilities lol. And talking with the other members here, including Ethan himself, has solidified my loyalty to this brand.

Used to be a kydex bender called "The Sheath Mechanic." He also carried a modest line of knives, including Beckers, which at that time consisted of the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10. I bought a 7 and was hooked. Wasn't but a couple more weeks before I had a 9.

I bought a few more after that.

I've been a Kabar fan for years. On a whim I went on the Kabar website to see what was new and noticed a bunch of knives with identical handles =) A certain "combat bowie" caught my eye. Something about the blade length, short clip point, handle and pommel made it hard not to think about constantly. Realistically my Kabar 1211 does everything that I'd actually need in a knife, I'm a very casual knife user compared to most on this site.

I watched all the youtube videos I could find and read all the written reviews I could and nobody had a bad thing to say about it. I learned that nobody called it a combat bowie. I also learned about words like choil and swedge and thumb ramp and jimping. I also learned that the type of steel matters in a knife. I was rather clueless...

I got a bk9 ordered from my local brick and mortar store. The store owner was so impressed with the knife when it came in that he ordered another 9, a 2, 7, 10 and 16 for his previously Becker-less shop. When I held 9 for the first time I couldn't believe that the comfort of the handle and over all balance was better than I could have imagined.

All my research kept bringing me back here, so finally I registered to start participating. All this participation has resulted in the ownership of several more bk's =)

I had never heard of Becker before I started crawling around this forum a couple months ago.

Well, my first Becker came in the mail yesterday, BK2. I went with that because it looks like a pretty good all-around outdoors/camp knife and the sonofagun doesn't look like it's breaking any time soon.

Making a scout sheath right now, and plan to make a dangler sheath after that.

And here's an image to spruce up this naked thread.
temporary-51.jpg

Bigghoss made me do it. No, seriously. Long story, but suffice to say, if you Google BK-9, a lot of stuff with his name comes up. He's very persuasive.

After years of sticking mainly with ZT and Kershaw folders I decided to stray a bit. I also began to understand why people like fixed blades. I don't buy into a folder is a broken knife. More so, a fixed blade will probably used more for non-knife stuff such as prying, screwdriver, hammer, etc. So needless to say after making a couple, I picked up a BK11 off the exchange. I see it as a multi-purpose bottle opener!

a year ago tomorrow the bk2 went on sale on amazon for $56 and I couldn't pass it up, 2 days later I bought a bk11, then a week later bought another 11. I've gotten a few more since then ;-)

Back