1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

How did you get your first Becker knife?

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by Blades&Bullets, Dec 15, 2014.

1. tjswarbrick

tjswarbrick

Mar 31, 2011
    I was searching for a tough, do anything knife for my get-home-bag. Many, many posts pointed to the BK2. Scrapyard released the War Dog, and I went that way instead, but I had ben bitten and couldn't shake the Becker bug. Then the tweeners were released, and I found a great deal on a modded FPR sabre-ground 16 - so I picked it up as a do-it-all hard working fixed blade. It is a great one.
    Never did get the 2, but I think I have 7 Beckers now.

2. Charlie_K

Charlie_K

Jul 16, 2012
    I got my first Becker in a quest for a bowie knife. The recommended finalists of my search was the BK9, and the Ontario SP10. For a long time it was the SP10 that was in the lead. But eventually the BK9 won out, and I was quite happy with my purchase. And from there it's just continued.

3. mchipman

mchipman

Jan 3, 2010
    Back in 2009 I saw some videos on YouTube for the BK2 and in January 2010 while surfing Amazon I ran across the BK7 and ordered it and it came with the 13. Then I found this forum a little while ago and now I have the 15 and 16 and am going to get the 24 after the holidays. You guys are a great influence :)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  4. DunkEm

DunkEm

Dec 9, 2013
    A new gun store opened up in town. When I stopped in to check them out, they didn't have guns yet - their FFL paperwork was still processing. But they had bought out another store's knife inventory. Hidden among them jewels was a BK17. When I held it, I realized that it was the knife I had been casually looking for after our camping trip the summer before.

I had no idea it would lead to a whole family of knives - and a Tac Tool.

5. tanglediver

tanglediver Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Well, about a year ago, I was chopping that tree, when suddenly it began to rain. And right in the middle of a chop I, I rusted solid, and I've been that way ever since.
    Oh, no, that was the Tinman...

Oh, I remember, first I invented the internet, but then Al Gore stole it, and uh...
    No.

It must have been after I came up with the wheel, I felt I needed a tool for skinning cats, and um.....

Here's the biggest lie, I saw them on you tube, and heard of this forum there. Then I bought a nine on amazon, and a 13 because it was the mini-me of Beckers.

6. jmclfrsh

jmclfrsh

Dec 1, 2012
    I'd been collecting and being obsessed with knives for two years. Mainly folders, over 60, but 8 fixed blades as well. Started with some Cold Steels purchased from a local Gov't Surplus store, then a few SOGs, then an ESEE 4 for my bugout bag, then a Lionsteel M7. It's too pretty to use. I needed something I could USE without thought.

Considered an ESEE 6, but never pulled the trigger on one in eight months. Then it dawned on me. Becker!

I'd always admired Ethan Becker, it's evident he is a class act from seeing him on numerous videos at Blade and SHOT being interviewed. And I have always heard nothing but praise for the 9, "The King." I knew I had to get one someday. And someday soon.

But that same Gov't Surplus store started carrying more KaBars and Beckers, and I had known how Ethan felt about the 5. That it was being discontinued. And they had one in stock. So I impulse bought it, nicked myself good by accident putting it back in the sheath while in the store, bled real good for a bit, got it stopped, and began my search for a 9.

Wanted one with the old finish, heard it has "less drag" while batoning. Found one on the big auction site, with the Micarta handles and the remora 13 to boot. Lightly scuffed. Stalked that sucker for a week while looking at it a hundred times, snagged it at the last second. They didn't know it, but I KNEW it was MY knife. And indeed, it was, and is.

And am now deciding whether my next one is an 11, or a 15, but with my history it will probably be both. Who am I kidding.

And I need an 11 to go on top of the 9 on a dangler sheath (with fire steel) I'm having made after Christmas. It's trick.

And the 15 is being discontinued, better get one while I can. Will brighten up the kitchen and a campsite near you.

And it will save on shipping, so might as well get both, it will be more economical. And again, it's Christmas...

OMG I'm powerless to resist. The Becker "tractor beam" has got me again. Check Please!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  7. edh3007

edh3007

Sep 26, 2014
    How did I get involved with Becker knives?
    Wife and I were camping when I decided I needed another knife. I had been looking at the Gerber LMT 2 and a nearby gun store had one. But it just didn't call my name. So we came home without a new knife BUT it drove me to the 'net where I found lot's of LMT reviews suggest looking at the BK10 as an alternative. Shortly after one of those arrived at the house. Great day indeed.
    I've met Ethan Becker since then, bought myself a couple more various Beckers - and some of them for Christmas presents as well.
    I never had a problem buying knives, but Beckers have sure fed my addiction!
    Cheers, Ed

8. JoberSeven

JoberSeven

Oct 5, 2013
  9. jtkazanjian

jtkazanjian

Aug 10, 2014
    My first kabar, was a usmc fighting knife. This knife was given to me 10 years ago by a friend who works at kabar. Then my first Becker was a bk10 that i bought online this year. The bk10 has been with me on quite a few camping trips this year around the country.

10. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2014
    While searching for the knife to have if you can have only one, I had come across the BK2 numerous times. Too many to count really. Snagged it and been hooked ever since.

BK2
    BK14
    BK15
    BK3
    BK5x2 (for my brand new son when he comes of age)
    BK4

In that order I believe

11. bigghoss

bigghoss

Jul 27, 2011
    Buy a BK9 or I'll spit on ya! You can't not have a 9!

I've always liked knives, between ages 12 and 15 or so I was really into knives and buying them when I could and I remembered seeing Beckers in the various catalogs I would get. I was, and still am, drawn to series of anything so the fact that the Becker line had the same handle made me want to collect them all (same for Ontario). My collecting tapered off for a while but I still had decent collection but no Beckers. Fast forward about a decade and I was starting to get back into knives more. I had been using a large $20 bowie made in Pakistan as my main camp knife for that amount of time and it did great actually, but the sheath sucked. I was looking for a new big camping blade on another forum and as a result rediscovered becker knives and while researching them found this forum. Ordered a BK2 and a BK9 for my first Beckers about 4 or 5 years ago and it's only gotten worse since then.

Here's what those first two look like now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Mrknot

Mrknot

Aug 15, 2013
    I wanted to retire my much loved and much used Vietnam-era Camillus "KaBar".
    Figured I had the "big knife" field covered with my late '80s era Gerber BMF, but that 7" slot needed to be filled.
    Did a lot of googling and amazoning and stumbled across PM101's videos about "Jessica", (happens to be my first "true love's" name as well, BTW)...
    Bought the 7, then...
    [​IMG]
    They're like 1095CV crack...
    Once the change jar fills back up, the BK-21 will join them.
    Then a 2, then a 5, then a 4...
    You can probably guess how this story ends...

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  13. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Apparently, according to some here, the 5 is going the way of the dodo bird. I just snagged two - one for me, one for my soon to be born son when he becomes a man. Fill that jar up quick, and move that 5 to the top of your que.

14. CM_Rick

CM_Rick

Jan 10, 2011
    I went to hedgehog looking for a sheath for my tracker, and saw a vid he did for the BK2 & the sheath he makes for it. I was intrigued. Soon after I started dealing knives (not anymore), and got a small stock of Beckers (2&7). Loved them ever since. I now own a 2, 4, 5, 9, 15, &16. I'll be getting the 11 & a 21 next year.

15. skyline1

skyline1

Dec 14, 2014
    Searching the web for a really durable knife. Didn't take long for a 2 to show up. Next day I was doing things I never thought I would with a knife. What a beast. I only have the 15 and the 2. But that's been in a short time, and you know that won't last.

16. MTURBO

MTURBO Banned BANNED

Nov 5, 2014
    From reading this forum. Bought my kid a BK9 and liked it so much that I got myself a 15....want more!

17. Noswad0208

Noswad0208

Sep 8, 2014
    Well, last Christmas I decided I needed a bowie knife for whatever reason, and the BK9 looked very nice, and so it was put on ye olde Christmas list.

18. RABII

RABII Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2010
    I was introduced to Becker about nine years ago at my local knife shop. When asked what I was looking for I responded "something different". The proprietor showed me a few pieces and when I passed on all of them he pulled a Camillus made 7 out of a case. I was immediately intrigued by the design, heftiness, and substantial feel of the knife. He spoke highly of the knife and its' design even though he was a BIG fan of another manufacturer I had never heard of at the time...Busse Combat Knives (a family of knives that I would later become VERY familiar with!). That introduction got me started and I have gone on to own, at one time or another, most of the line of Becker knives with the exception of the rarest of them. Btw, I bought that Camillus Becker for $50.

19. omenwolf

omenwolf

Jan 5, 2014
    I myself went looking for a one tool option for my bug out bag. I have a few survival guys at my job so I asked around and came up with the BK7. The 7 got me started but it was supposed to stay with my bob and I found myself grabbing it off my bag and not putting it back. So I started getting others for specific purposes and never looked back.
    There is a few missing but here's my bkfam
    [​IMG]

20. Blades&Bullets

Blades&Bullets

Oct 28, 2013
    Nice shot. Those are TKC G10 Grips, right??
    Where did you get the lanyards??