1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

How do you get rid of your knives?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by XiaolongJackson, Oct 18, 2012.

1. XiaolongJackson

XiaolongJackson

Jun 5, 2012
    I want to get rid of some of my knives to make space for new ones, but they're mostly mall ninja type stuff by Cold Steel and other low end things, and given the propensity of non knife people(or at least the people who would be interested in buying the crap I want to get rid of) to think of knives only as weapons(especially since some of them are created with such intentions) and would treat them as such when given the opportunity, I'm a bit hesitant to sell them to just anyone, or even my friends. So how do you reduce your collection? I doubt any of you just toss them in the trash, so I'd like some advice on the subject.

2. 00ChevyScott

00ChevyScott

Dec 3, 2010
    It's your stuff, do with it what you want.

3. richardtran

richardtran

Nov 15, 2010
    I tossed my very first knife I ever got into the garbage recently, the Gerber covert fast.

4. The Logical One

The Logical One Gold Member Gold Member

May 31, 2011
    That's what sucks about buying low end knives.... when you try to sell them nobody wants them. I had two crappy knives that I just gave away to my friends.

5. MEJ

MEJ Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 24, 2011
    Good thing christmas is coming and you can arm your friends against the zombie apocalypse! Though it may be to lat by then...

6. XiaolongJackson

XiaolongJackson

Jun 5, 2012
    Guess I can gift some of them to people who most definitely won't use them. Anyone else?

Guess I was wrong.

7. Cynic2701

Cynic2701

Mar 31, 2009
    Learn how to sharpen on them. In all likelihood the steel will won't be very wear resistant or hard, so they should be good practice.

8. XiaolongJackson

XiaolongJackson

Jun 5, 2012
    I have about 9 things that I want to lose and I already have something to practice sharpening with.

9. hammon172

hammon172

Aug 18, 2012
    What cold steels do you have?

10. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Do some giveaways on here.

People will like you and you will have friends!

Seriously, most stuff from Cold Steel would be appreciated by some one.

11. nopyo

nopyo

Apr 19, 2012
    The ones with crappy/unknown blade steels: Modify/pimp, throw at trees for fun, dull the edge and use as movie prop.

The ones with decent steels (at least 440C or the _Cr_MoV steels): Give to friends who you trust to be responsible.

12. LX_Emergency

LX_Emergency KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 28, 2007
    Just sell them for pennies. You'll make someone happy and have a few dollars to go towards something nice. Even crappy knives sell well at 40%-50% of the original price.

13. XiaolongJackson

XiaolongJackson

Jun 5, 2012
    Of the ones that I don't want anymore:
    Point Guard(Plain)
    Double Agent I(Serrated)
    Urban Pal
    Bushman(Straightback)
    Pocket Bushman

Really dropped the ball with the Bushmans. I really liked the Bowie Bushman so I just went ahead and bought the other two, and I just have no use for them.

14. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong

Feb 17, 2011
    I give knives away to my friends. I just gave a Silent Soldier V2 from Brous Blades away to a good friend of mine that never cut anything other than a few sheets of paper and a tiny bit of paracord. I wasn't really carrying it, plus it's an excuse to pick up some other Brous Blades later since I'm now Brousless.

15. Mike157

Mike157 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 29, 2006
    I've done a little bit of most of the above. Give away, sell very cheaply, and or use inappropriately - prying, chipping hardened glue/epoxy, plaster, concrete, digging in the yard, practice sharpening different types of blades and blade configurations. My son used one knife a number of times to trim the friction tape deck material for skateboards and to scrape/peal old deck material off. The blade lost its edge quickly but I was surprised at how tough the dull blade was. I know, I have a really hard time with throwing even junk knives away. Maybe destruction tests? Mike

16. swimmerdude1127

swimmerdude1127

Mar 26, 2007
    Do some give-aways, encouraging newbies to participate to get a knife they could appreciate as a starter. I sure would have enjoyed that when I got started with this hobby... er... obsession :)

17. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    If you don't want your knives, post a trade thread in the appropriate forum. If you want to sell them, you need to buy the appropriate membership.

18. nozyk

nozyk

Jun 17, 2010
    3 words:

yard sale!

19. kvaughn

kvaughn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2005
    I just have to turn my back when my teens are around and they just disapear!?:eek:--KV

20. powernoodle

powernoodle Power Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Bundle them together and put them on ebay with low shipping. It only takes one sucker.