How do you get rid of your knives?

Learn how to sharpen on them. In all likelihood the steel will won't be very wear resistant or hard, so they should be good practice.

This is great advice, I'm working on improving my sharpening skills and it sure helps having a couple knives around that I don't care about upon which to practice...

I've done several give always here. Just post the trade knives and tools thread saying free knives and within minutes you will have numerous responses and many thank yous. Someone will take them to practice sharpening to mod or just use. One mans trash is another mans treasure. Give away here In the trade forums ive done it several times.

I either sell them here on the exchange, sell them on reddit, or sell them to people I know. I really don't care whose hands they are getting into, if they see them as a weapon and not a tool, that's their thing. I'm not going to be all snobby and not sell it to someone because they see it as a cool weapon that they want. I really don't give 2 shits about what people do with them as long as they give me the money for them.

I certainly could use some of the knives for sharpening practice. Also, I have need of small fixed blades that I don't worry about losing. The point guard was a great knife for that, but I lost the one I had because the sheath retention sucked. I wouldn't mind another though...

Zero

Don't hang on to cheap knives you bought early on. They are a burden on you. I put all my cheap knives in a box and took them to work. I told my crews these are not gifts, but rather low end knives I want to get rid of. They snatched them! One told me that these might be throwaways for me, but for them they're really something. I can see that. A knife from Winchester may be junk to us, but for others it's a name brand and a cool thing to own.

Many of us here started out with some cheap knife. I bet a few of these guys turn into knife people over time.

I only ever threw one knife in the garbage. and it pained me to do so. it was an awful SOG folder with tons of blade play, couldn't hold an edge for crap, rough as heck to open but the last straw was when it rusted out really bad. even still I kept having to fight the urge to go dumpster diving to get it back.
Now that I am into pimping them out I would probably part them out or do some crazy reshaping to it.
in your case though you should probably try selling it as a lot on ebay. if they're too low end to draw interest individually then as a bundle they should at least fetch a couple bones

P.S. I know what you mean about not trusting non-knife guys to be responsible with them. they really just don't register them as tools, and if your first thought about something is that its a weapon then you probably can't be trusted with them. I frankly don't even like letting them play around with my pointy things. they get this look on their face like "ohm'gawd, I could kill someone with this!" its quite unnerving.

I plan on experimenting with a few of mine, stonewashing, Duracoating, etc... Trying out custom mods before attempting them on more expensive and more wanted knives.

All knives have some intrinsic value. Most can be used to cut something and even those that lack any semblance of fuctional geometry and materials can be used as knife-like decorator items. Just becuase you have lost interest does not mean that there isn't some residual level of interest out there. These are products of our marketplace and will forever remain relics of our archeology. A goofy Klingon dagger may have been sold to fans of some long forgotten Star Trek film, and it may make for a useless knife, but it will forever be associated with the film and will in small part reflect the period and values of the era in which that film was first made and enjoyed.

n2s

I included several of my early cheap knives as add ins when I was selling other knives. Everyone likes something for free! I also gave a couple to friends at work and as Christmas gifts to my cousins:)

Back