How does Zero Tolerance Compare to Hinderer........

I prefer my ZT 0562's (i have 4) than hinderers i sold my 3 hinderers. for less money you get IMO just as good a knife and i prefer ZT
jc6HWSk.jpg

fLgRPXT.jpg

You're a tad slow. Gen 6 hinderers have perfect detent and the option of ball bearings/ washers.
???

I've had two. Both were bad. I understand they come with bearings installed by default. Those A) don't fix the flipping action, and B) don't do anything for you when you install washers.

Maybe don't be so quick to call people "slow"?

How do you know that?

I listen to people talk about them who own them. You're the only one who I've heard recount a problem. Like, the only one. Loads of these have gone out and literally every other owner I've heard talk or write about their experience has been consistently good. Sorry you've had just the worst most awful luck apparently, but your experience isn't typical, it's an outlier.

Check the YT reviews, look on instagram. You could even try this thing called the google.

There is one ZT that I’ll say is as good or better than any genuine Hinderer. But it really straddles the line. :D

22aXGly.jpg

I listen to people talk about them who own them. You're the only one who I've heard recount a problem. Like, the only one. Loads of these have gone out and literally every other owner I've heard talk or write about their experience has been consistently good. Sorry you've had just the worst most awful luck apparently, but your experience isn't typical, it's an outlier.

Check the YT reviews, look on instagram. You could even try this thing called the google.
Oh, so you don't. Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm not the only one I've heard of having issues with the Gen 6, though I heard about it on another forum.

Oh, so you don't. Thanks for clearing that up.

Aww don't be mad.

I'm just pointing out a simple fact. You and a bunch of other people have talked about experiencing Gen 6 Hinderers. Only you claim they suck so far. You have the least credibility in this scenario. Just the facts, dude.

Aww don't be mad.

I'm just pointing out a simple fact. You and a bunch of other people have talked about experiencing Gen 6 Hinderers. Only you claim they suck so far. You have the least credibility in this scenario. Just the facts, dude.
Nice attitude.

I claimed mine sucked, that I have heard issues from others, but not that they're all that way. If yours is great, then cool. Mine were abysmal.

Far as I can tell, my post holds as much credibility as yours.

Nice attitude.

I claimed mine sucked, that I have heard issues from others, but not that they're all that way. If yours is great, then cool. Mine were abysmal.

Far as I can tell, my post holds as much credibility as yours.

All I'm saying is that when I'm weighing people's accounts of how they've experienced a product, if I hear dozens upon dozens of good reports and one bad one, I tend to think that majority are providing a more reliable piece of data.

What that has to do with my credibility versus yours or whatever, I have no idea. I'm not saying you didn't have the experience you claim. It's just very obvious that your experience isn't typical and as such isn't a very reliable guide to anyone trying to make a decision about whether to buy a Hinderer or not.

I've handled my fair share of Hinderer knives and ZT Hinderer knives. That being said I own 5 ZT variants and zero actual Hinderer knives. For me the ZT just feel better in hand, better flipping action and at a fraction of the cost. Just my .02 cents.

Address the question and not each other.

I’ve got a gen 6 3.5 skinner and a 562cf. Both are awesome and I’d say that the 562 is a better EDC as it’s a better cutter as well as being thinner. It also rides in the pocket better. The XM has an amazing action with one of the snappiest detents I’ve handled. However... My XM does have a couple seized balls on one of the bearings which are causing a noise during closing. I’m currently waiting on a replacement set from Hinderer. Your NOT going to break either of them.... I really want to get my hands on a Gen 6 Skinny slicer.

How could a ZT Hinderer not be comparable to a Hinderer ? After all, Rick Hinderer was involved in the design/ execution of the ZT line of products. It turned out to be a good functioning knife. As far as which is better, that’s purely someone’s opinion.
I’ve got ZT’s and Hinderer’s, the thing I think about the most between the two is that R. Hinderer was a firefighter and the XM series reflect that. I’ve got older Hinderer’s with the weak detent, if it bothered me, I’d gotten rid of them. If you want a knife that will hold up to serious use and not be concerned about if the knife will handle it, then a Hinderer is the route to take. If you want a good flipper, strong detent and a moderate use knife then the ZT Hinderer is the best route which IMO, is the best bang for the buck.

If you want a knife that will hold up to serious use and not be concerned about if the knife will handle it, then a Hinderer is the route to take. If you want a good flipper, strong detent and a moderate use knife then the ZT Hinderer is the best route which IMO, is the best bang for the buck.

What are some specific examples of work that a Hinderer would handle, and a ZT would not?

What are some specific examples of work that a Hinderer would handle, and a ZT would not?
I cannot imagine they would be tasks anyone performs, or finds very useful. The knives are nearly identical in build.

I cannot imagine they would be tasks anyone performs, or finds very useful. The knives are nearly identical in build.

I ask for two reasons. One, I am open to learning. Two, I occasionally enjoy reading short pieces of creative writing. Unfortunately, history tells me that asking a variation of this question in response to the inspiring statement predictably results in an answer that boils down to, “you can hold one and tell it’s built tougher”.

Maybe today will be the day when somebody surprises me with a real, relevant example?

I ask for two reasons. One, I am open to learning. Two, I occasionally enjoy reading short pieces of creative writing. Unfortunately, history tells me that asking a variation of this question in response to the inspiring statement predictably results in an answer that boils down to, “you can hold one and tell it’s built tougher”.

Maybe today will be the day when somebody surprises me with a real, relevant example?
Oh I agree completely. I'm just saying, I've owned, disassembled, and compared both. Aside from some differences in pivot diameter and thickness, there's not much difference between an XM-18 and an 0562 in any relevant dimension that would drive strength, and the materials are quite similar as well. And with the new XMs coming with bearings pre-installed, there's even less of a difference in the build.

I don't know what you could do to a folder that will break one and not the other.

Last edited:
Oh I agree completely. I'm just saying, I've owned, disassembled, and compared both. Aside from some differences in pivot diameter and thickness, there's not much difference between an XM-18 and an 0562 in any relevant dimension that would drive strength, and the materials are quite similar as well. And with the new XMs coming with bearings pre-installed, there's even less of a difference in the build.

Indeed. That lines up with what I’ve noted in handling them side by side.

Also, the 0550 is a thing.

Back