How often do you cut things with your EDC knife?

As a kid I realized it was the most useful thing to have on my person at all times, it wasn't until I started getting into torches that I realized they are a close second. Anything else I'm missing guys hahaha

Not sure why all the hate for scissors. I like to have scissors on my SAKs. My Explorer is my daily carry and depending on the job, I will choose the scissors over a knife.

I don't use my knife every day.

Everyday, multiple times a day. Kind of odd to join a knife forum if you don't use your knife....

I use my locking folder every day as soon as I get home from work to open mail.

I used my SAK more than a few times last for various things:

I used the bottle opener this past weekend to open a beer.
I used the scissors to cut a callous of my pinky toe last week.
I used the can opener to open a can of soup at work.
I also used the scissors to trim my sideburns and cut a coupon.
Last weekend my sister and her husband brought a bottle of wine which I opened with the corkscrew.
I used the flat head screwdriver to open up one of my effects pedals to change the battery.
I used the wire cutters on the pliers to cut the end off a guitar string.

Everyday ... multiple times a day ... learned before I was 10 years old it's something everyone (back then they said every man) shouldn't leave the house without ... but as useful a tool as it is I"d be lost without one

And my only self defense using a knife would be when a Subway Sandwich gets unrulely and out of control threatening to get something on my shirt ... and I'll cut the crap outta that thing ...

I carry both scissors and knives, generally more of the latter than the former.

LBPoO2D.jpg

I use them daily, no exception, both on the same day more often than not, as I don't like the looks I get if I cut my sandwich with scissors, or cut calluses and fingernails with a knife blade.

X9WYrQ9.jpg

YMMV, of course, but I'd have a hard time not finding a use for a knife or scissors every single day.

I'd say on average 10-20 per day, scissors are always within reach because I carry a supertinker in my other pocket, but I get weird looks when I cut up an apple with my SAK scissors...

When ever I need.

The OP waits around ten minutes for scissors? I hope he is troll because if not that is just silly.

So I am curious how often do you use your EDC knife to cut things? Out side of a self defense knife I do not carry a blade because I legitimately do not cut stuff. If I need stuff cut scissors are almost always within the area or I can wait 10 minutes till they are. I am not saying anything against carrying knives for every day tasks. I believe you should be able to carry whatever you want whenever and where ever. Even if you are carrying around a tactical wheelbarrow. So I guess this boils down to two questions.

1 How often do you use your EDC knife?

2 How often do you use your knife when scissors are not in the area?

Thanks

Most every day to cut various things. I also have a pair of Milwaukee scissors for cutting shirts into rags and those clam packs that every thing comes in now a days.

I carry both scissors and several knives every day. I need to use the scissors to cut my pants open to access the large fixed-blade knives I carry in my pockets.

I carry the scissors "scout style" in a custom kydex sheath I got from one of the makers on this very forum. :thumbsup:

I carry both scissors and several knives every day. I need to use the scissors to cut my pants open to access the large fixed-blade knives I carry in my pockets.

I carry the scissors "scout style" in a custom kydex sheath I got from one of the makers on this very forum. :thumbsup:
But do you run with them ?

OP is right Scissors > knife. Take scissors apart and you got TWO throwing knives. Or you use them in reverse grip for self defence with a nice retention ring. Keep your scissors sharp my friends. :D

So you carry a knife for self-defense, despite having never been attacked.

But you won't carry a knife for general utility, despite the fact that you have on occasion needed a cutting tool for utilitarian purposes?

I work in an office and I still end up needing to cut something at least once a day.

I carry a knife every day. I use my knife everyday. I only use scissors for cutting fabric

I use my knife to cut things everyday, even though I always have scissors on me as well.
I actually have 2 pairs of scissors on me right now ( a leatherman micra and leatherman fuse which has a little pair of scissors ), but a knife is my go to because scissors are not a substitute for a knife.
Knives and scissors both exists for a reason, and neither can completely take the place of the other.

My advice to you is to buy yourself something like a 15$ Victorinox recruit to drop into your pocket. you'll realize how many things are easier to open with a knife rather than tear.
If you chose to do things the hard way and wait till there's a pair of scissors around that's your choice, but you owe it to yourself to carry a small knife and realize how much better life is when your can be self sufficient by having you're own cutting tool on you at all times.

Back