How often do you see 'higher end' knives out in public (other than in your own pocket)?

Tons of gas station knives and Kershaw's. I've seen a couple spycerco's, but not much of anything else. Then again I dont look at every person's pocket.

A guy I work bought a Sebenza a few months back, but other than him showing me his newest toy I never see high end knives out in the wild.
I occasionally see a spyderco or a benchmade pocket clip but not often.

I can count on one hand the number of instances I have seen anyone outside of my personal friend group carry anything more than a SAK unless out camping. The only real one I can recall is a guy with whom I crossed paths at work who noticed my pocket clip and we chatted shorty. Apparently he had a 30 piece collection with several customs.

Though he then tried to get me involved with an MLM, soooooo...

Saw a motorcycle cop with a Spyderco Police tucked in his boot. Was like "Alright!" See Gerber Paraframes and other "Lower" end knives on firefighters. Saw an EMT with a Buck 110 on their belt. Young guy with a stainless Delica at IHOB.

Never seen any good stuff let, but I'll keep looking!

I don't usually see any knives. At all. Never. We are not allowed (by law) to carry any blade on us unless it is fully justified. And by justified I mean that you are hiking, or going to / comming from the mountains. Or fishing or hunting (same principle). Or doing any task that does require the use of said knife in the eyes of law enforcement. It is legal to own, but not to carry.

So when I do (daily) I try to keep a low profile. Knife clipped IWB usually. My understanding is that any knife nuts out there would be doing exactly the same.

I am a meat cutter and work in a grocery store. I have come across a couple of guys carrying some no-name knives, a Gerber (with a huge hole at the pivot?), a Leek and a Grizzly Creek. I bought a very well used (scratched up blade) 580 Barrage from the Grizzly Creek guy for cheap.

Around here, in Eastern Ontario, no one has ever heard of Spyderco and the thought of spending more than $30 for a knife is preposterous. So any high end knives? Nope, not a chance.

One or two guys at work carry mid-entry level Spyderco knives. But one guy used to work for me has a few Todd Heeter knives and actually carries them. Every one of them is a pocket brick, but he's got the whole 'tool up or die' thing down and pulls it off.

Never.
All I ever encounter are the guys who defend there gas station knives and its abilities to the likes of a Canadian defending the knockdown power of there BB gun they keep loaded on there bed stands...

Reactions: BBW
A couple times at church. One guy is super into the man jewelry thing and has Hinderers, Striders, and CRKs. He thought he was there only forum member he'd ever meet until he and I met. His Yates run toward the blingy Instagram stuff with skulls and tactifoolishness, though.

A couple other Benchmade people at church or back in my Army time. That's common in the Army because Benchmade knives are modestly frequent unit issue items.

Buck 110s and occasional Gerber . I am always looking for knives and can tell when I spot them they are always cheap pieces of crap from Walmart or something. On very rare occasion I can tell it might be a nicer knife but still nothing better than a $50 CRKT.

the Buck 110 is such a classic . love to see it out there. 2 guys at my shop carry them .

In the Navy had a shipmate who carried a Benchmade 940.

Have seen the odd guy with a Microtech Ultratech but we have a local store that sales them. Never seen a CRK, BM, ZT Spyderco or Emerson even though that shop sales them too.

But normally a Griptilian or Delica is what I run across. The reat is gas station knives.

My theory is not many people own higher end stuff and if they do a lot of the time they treat them as safe queens and carry a beater.

I've only run into a few people who have BM mini grips. I let the one guy check out some of my knives, he said wow they're sharp. So now I sharpen his mini grip in 154 cm for him every couple months for free. He's helped me move a couple times so we are square. Lol

Never. I know a couple of guys who carry Benchmades, but they are my son and son-in-law, and both got their knives from me.

For Father’s day, my son gave me an Outdoor Edge Razor Lite EDC with replaceable blades, ” like the one he carries”. His tongue was planted firmly in his cheek.

Never. Unless you count the people I’ve sold or given them the knives they carry.

Maybe the reason we don't see a lot of high(er) end knives out in public is because most who own these knives are content to collect and fondle them in their homes.

Back