How to carry fixed blades?

So I've tried to carry fixed blades in the past, but being as I'm in the city I can't exactly carry a fixed on the belt normally. How do you folks carry larger fixed blades in the city?

You could strap it horizontally on your belt, or you could carry a bag and keep the knife in the bag

Depends on what you mean by "larger".

I'd wear it crossdraw, or scout style (at 10-11 o'clock, or at 6 o'clock respectively) personally. But that only works up until about the 5in or so blade length.

After that, then the best bet is likely under the arm, like some shoulder holsters do (the tip of the knife is up close to the armpit, and the handle hangs down).

At least that's how id do it.

Smaller ones, in the pocket or vertical carry, classic "scout" position wit blade tip pointing to the ground.

20150828_150102_zpsedh8azkf.jpg

Larger ones, with the sheath IWB and handle sticking over the waist line.

20150821_094455_zpsgoqhk9af.jpg

20150821_094036_zpsz2clfaok.jpg

That's how I do it, but I've horizontally carried as well. But only smaller blades, otherwise it sticks out too much and gets caught on things...

I also live in an area where an open fixed blade would be frowned upon.

Here's my setup:

A smaller fixed blade knife goes in my fanny pack. I have a sheath for it.

I have two fanny packs (Unisex styles.). One is black leather one and one is a bit larger in a woods design.

You can buy ordinary unisex fanny packs, hunting/fishing/hiking fanny packs and handgun CCW fanny packs if you do not use a holster for open or conceal carry - handgun.

I carry a Buck Ranger Skinner #113 knife on a daily basis on my property, when I travel, camp, hike, within city limits and in the woods/wilderness.

A larger fixed blade knife goes on my leather belt if I choose to carry one. Sometimes that stays in my vehicle when I camp or travel.

All of my small to large fixed blade knives have sheaths for them.

I follow the open and conceal carry weapon laws in this state (MT) because the handgun and knife laws vary compared to where I used to live for within the CITY limits compared to the woods/wilderness. Some of those laws changed several years after I moved out west too.

I am careful when I travel to other states (Northern Idaho-panhandle region and a bit into Wyoming.) even though I mainly stay in Montana now.

I have not decided what I will take (?), buy back east (?), carry/use or NOT carry/use (?!) IF and when I go back to the East Coast to visit my older brother, older sister and some old friends. I may NOT take anything at all and use some other ordinary tool according to whatever knife laws are currently on the books. I do not use folding knives any longer. If my hip and lower back are still very sore on and off, I may get a simple cane for that issue too.

Cate

Last edited:
I have seen sheaths for smaller fixed blades (3-4 inches) that have a 'pocket clip' on them (basically the type of clip you would have on a sunglass pocket case or something like that)

The sheath goes inside your pocket and clips to your pants on the outside of your pocket....

Great way to carry a fixed blade.

I started carrying front pocket fixed Blades after I got a ringed Razel. Great sheath and the ring made it super easy to locate and draw the blade with one hand.
When I am out on my property, I almost always carry a big blade (7 to 12 inches) on a drop loop for my belt but I still like the front pocket fixed.

For self defense, I prefer an iwb sheath with a static cord to take the sheath off during the draw.

I have an ESEE 3 that came with a sheath that clips inside my waistband and is covered easily with an untucked shirt or even a tuck one if you are a bit creative.

Unless there's a city ordinance banning the carry of a fixed blade who cares ...I always belt carry a fixed blade ranging 3-5", unless they're not permitted to open carry by law then I carry it in my pocket..

If you're worried about the masses running in fear bc they see a knife on your belt, well let em it'll just mean there'll be less people in line at the local Wal-Mart. [emoji12]
Seriously thou unless it's a law don't let public appearance sway you from exercising your god given right to carry a knife if you so choose.

Hello,

How long and wide is the blade on your knife?

Thank you.

Cate

Hey there. Blade length is 3 inches, height is 1 3/8, thickness is 5/32. Overall is 6 1/8, overall sheathed is 6 3/4.

I have seen sheaths for smaller fixed blades (3-4 inches) that have a 'pocket clip' on them (basically the type of clip you would have on a sunglass pocket case or something like that)

The sheath goes inside your pocket and clips to your pants on the outside of your pocket....

Great way to carry a fixed blade.

I agree [emoji106]

Crossdraw, drop leg, in waistband, or regular belt holster/sheath. Kydex, leather, or a combination of both.

Assuming you're wearing an untucked shirt there's also the Survival Sheath chest harness. You're still going to want a smaller knife but you might get into ESEE 3 territory with one depending on your torso size.

It took me a year and a half to figure out how to carry a fixed blade with ease. My answer is a pocket sheath with a clip.
11251735_10153152750993311_1081466052714865186_n.jpg

Nearly 6" of 154cm, and with a lose fitting T-shirt, you'd never know it was there.

Back