How to make a KMG better (GIB content also)

I have had my KMG for 2 yrs; made approx. 60 knives with it.

The original was a 2hp 220V with the step pulley set-up. Since the first day of grinding I was never able to use the high speed setting and medium would bog under any pressure. I also noticed a few other things when compared to other grinders; it seems that the compression spring (for tensioning the belt) and the drive system (pulleys and belt) induced a harmonic/vibration into the grinder and bench.

Well two weeks ago everything came to a head. On Saturday the grinder worked and Sunday it did not. This resulted in a week of coordinating parts and delivery so that I could get things up and running on Friday evening.

This is what I came up with; a pleasure to use and all my issues are gone. A gas tensioned, direct drive KMG and a completed GIB. Of course the gas tensioning idea came from Brian Fellhoelter.

0042.jpg

0052.jpg

Being a vehicle nut also I can only compare the gas spring to riding in a car with hydraulic shocks and then one with gas charged shocks; a night and day difference!

0062.jpg

A new VFD rated 2hp motor motor set-up for direct drive on the KMG (almost looks like it should be there!)

0082.jpg

0092.jpg

My secret weapon is my wife! I guess she actually listens to my ranting and raving. For our 20th she bought me a GIB kit with and extra upright. I cut out the motor mounting section and TIG welded it in place of the shaft and bearings on the KMG.

As stated above all of my issues are gone; it tracks better, no vibrations, and I can lean all 6'1" and 235lbs of me into it and it does not slow down (I don't grind like that but it's nice to know it can be done).

Now the finished GIB:

0112.jpg

Gas sprung also; the spring, eyes and brackets are about $15.00 (too cheap not to do).

0132.jpg

I can't remember where I read about this mod. but I also moved the tensioning arm forward instead of using the pre-cut pivot hole.

And finally my tracking modification:
0152.jpg

I noticed in assembling the GIB some warpage (to be expected when laser cutting .5" steel), I was concerned about his causing a tracking issue. As you can see I milled a slot into one of the pre-cut mounting holes. I also removed about 1/16" from the left shoulder of the tracking arm mounting bracket. This modification allows the whole assembly to be pivoted slightly to account for non-straight holes or warpage problems.

Thanks for looking and thanks everybody for all the grinder threads!!!

That's very cool, David. Care to share some specs on the gas lift you used for the GIB?

They both look great. I used a gas shock on my kmg style that I just completed, seems to work perfect and was very easy to mount!

Awesome David!! Thanks for listing the part numbers. I think I'm going to do that with my GIB build.

I can't see your gib pictures though. Can everyone else see them?

Excellent work.

You either got it from Ed Caffrey or me. It looks great! Hopefully the other guys here doing builds currently will see how nice yours is and skip the months of fiddling and just build like yours from the start.

Great work!

Whether you or Ed; Thanks!
The extra leverage eliminates the need for a handle and gives the extra room to mount the gas spring.

You either got it from Ed Caffrey or me. It looks great! Hopefully the other guys here doing builds currently will see how nice yours is and skip the months of fiddling and just build like yours from the start.

Thanks for looking and commenting everybody. I was really concerned about the GIB kit making a quality grinder. I have studied all the build threads and watched all the You Tube videos and it seems that it is as good as the effort you put into it. I have a friend down the road that has a Hardcore and this GIB is as quiet or quieter than my KMG or his Hardcore, tracks just as smoothly and has plenty of power.

I need to plug the gas spring again it seems to have a huge impact on tracking over a tension or compression spring. The tracking on my KMG is more consistent and needs less fine tuning than previously.

Did you have to use the modification to the tracking wheel bracket, or did everything line up anyway?

I'll do better than that, here are the McMaster-Carr part #s.

1-20lb Spring- 9416K111
2-Bracket-9416K29
2-Eyelet- 9416K84

Excellent idea!!

how did you come up with the need for that particular "20lb spring", with that specific length to use on the GIB mod??

Thanks

Love this! I was just last night toying around with my finances this summer to fund a grinder build. I'm torn between doing a KMG clone and GIB. I'll definitely look at this thread again when the time comes to work on my tensioning and tracking :thumbup:

Did you have to use the modification to the tracking wheel bracket, or did everything line up anyway?

I was very particular when drilling/tapping/aligning. I have not had to use the adjustable tracking wheel bracket. Showed the idea so that those that may issues can have an easy fix if needed. Plus I did not want to take everything apart to correct an issue.

Love this! I was just last night toying around with my finances this summer to fund a grinder build. I'm torn between doing a KMG clone and GIB. I'll definitely look at this thread again when the time comes to work on my tensioning and tracking :thumbup:

I think all told the completed GIB was around $850 (grinder, motor, VFD, misc. H/W), I had all the tooling from the KMG. Time is money! A KMG clone will be more labor intensive.

how did you come up with the need for that particular "20lb spring", with that specific length to use on the GIB mod??

Brian Fellhoelter did the brain work on this one. I just referenced pictures he has posted of his custom grinders to figure mounting locations.

You're better off to buy a bare bones kmg and add all the wheels and etc. if you're concerned about assembly. Otherwise, the gib is the best option. If youre competent enough to build a grinder from scratch, I don't see why you wouldn't create a personal design. There are a thousand different ways to build these machines.

I really recommend for a first grinder buying a kit (gib) or atleast a semi assembled grinder like the kmg. You'll save yourself a lot of heartache, unless you're already a competant machinist like some.

For those who don't know yet, David is a perfectionist. The quality of this grinder build resulted in a solid machine that hauls a$$ and is quieter than my Hardcore. I keep trying to rationalize a second grinder when I see his GIB :D

Back