How to sharpen a Hinderer

I barely have enough dough for Hinderers but this Wicked Edge got me interested. Thanks for the info guys. It seems to me that Wicked Edge is a good investment.

Ok another question for you WE guys. Can you, and if you can would you put a convex edge on a XM-18?

I wouldn't but that's me. I free hand sharpen mine and my EDC has a nice mirror edge on it. I'm sure it's "getting convexed over time with the method I use and stropping for maintaining it.

I also suggest a Sharpmker if it hasn't gone dull and a lot of time or a guided system like a DMT aligner / magna-guide system. If your XM gets dull you really need diamond hones like the DMT's or power tools to grind the hard steels that Rick uses on his knives. :thumbup:

Nothing at all wrong with the expensive sharpeners but I like my bench stones and strops. :D

Thank very much, I am looking at everthing, just the way I am. It is not dull just looking to keep it as sharp as possible.

Thanks again.

Bill

The question about convexing the edge is one of those long debated questions. I would stick as close as possible to the original edge profile but thats me. As for the Sharpmaker on a knife that has not gone to far bad, absolutely.
The 20* (40* inclusive) will get you where you need to be for a good working edge.
Sharpening can become a sub-obsession all its own. Trust me, I know of what I speak.;)
It is a lot of fun and a sharp knife (really sharp) is a wonderful thing.
After all what would life be without being able to sit on the can and push cut toilet paper!:eek:

Ok another question for you WE guys. Can you, and if you can would you put a convex edge on a XM-18?
i put a convex edge on the passaround xm 18 and a member brought over the 2 he had. he did some cutting and he said he liked the convex edge better compared to the v edge. (i used a belt sander to convex the edge)

Howdy Richard J (Master of the paper wheel and the convex edge) hope all is well. ANYBODY wants a beautifully sharpened edge Richard J is your man.
Should have known that mirror edge on the passaround was you.

a few guys never liked it but i think it cut better than the v edge. they are easier to maintain too on the slotted wheel.

I really wish I had picked up a Wicked Edge when they first came out. They were almost half the price of what they cost now!

Right now on the website they are 20% off, I may pull the trigger on one myself.
Here's the coupon code: WE_Summer_2011

Additional discounts my be found (( rules violation )) I just ordered a WE and got 40% off the price. All you have to join an organizational team, i.e, police military,sporting goods employee, etc., there are a bunch of categories/teams, most people fit into one or more of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Additional discounts my be found (( rules violation )) I just ordered a WE and got 40% off the price. All you have to join an organizational team, i.e, police military,sporting goods employee, etc., there are a bunch of categories/teams, most people fit into one or more of them.

Wow, I'm glad I saw that post before a mod did! :thumbup:

Thanks for that, you saved me a chunk of $$$! Got one and some extra-fine stones headed for my APO here. :D

Sorry bout the rules violation guys ....my bad:eek:

BP, well I "pulled the trigger" on a WE Pro Pac, and opted for the granite base upgrade.Great deal at the Sharpener Shop and with Christmas on the horizon a present to myself, LOL. Once it have it set up I'll let you know what I think, More to follow. Cheers

Good times Darrin. I think you'll really enjoy it. Certainly my wife does, since I used her kitchen knives for paractice. I''ve been too busy at work to do too much with it and now I'm floored with the flu so I just don't feel like doing anything. Maybe if I get to feeling better later I'll play with it some.

At any rate, congrats on your great score!

BP, well I "pulled the trigger" on a WE Pro Pac, and opted for the granite base upgrade.Great deal at the Sharpener Shop and with Christmas on the horizon a present to myself, LOL. Once it have it set up I'll let you know what I think, More to follow. Cheers

That sucks about the flu, get lots of rest, no worries.When it comes to the wife your know the saying " Happy wife,Happy life" LOL
What angle did you use? or decide on? 20deg?
Cheers

Tip of the day: Add a degree (or2) once you have sharpened your blade to Add a micro-bevel.
Just use the 1000-the strops to do this. Make sure you record all your settings for each knife.

I just use my spyderco sharpmaker cause thats all I have at the moment to sharpen with. I've found that S35VN is the easiest of the three major XM steels to sharpen, at least with the sharpmaker. It takes a much sharper edge much quicker, in my experience. Remember though, all I'm working with is some ceramic rods. Maybe one day I'll upgrade to the Wicked Edge System...

Back