How to turn a Delica into a $350 (make that $600) knife. Updated!

Fixall

Brian
Dealer / Materials Provider
The Delica wharncliffe sprint run in HAP40 and burnt orange FRN is my all time favorite work knife. So much so that once they had been available for awhile and everyone who wanted one was able to get one... I went back and bought a couple more in case I lost or destroyed my beloved Delica at work. My work knife has been going strong for over two years now and I haven't lost or damaged it, so I figured I may as well deck out one of my spares and use it for an EDC (safe queens bug me).

I really like customizing knives with aftermarket parts/finishes and making it "your own"... Although I went a bit deeper down the rabbit hole with this build than usual. I have high hopes that the Spyderco custom shop takes off and is a hit. Being able to do something like this direct from the factory would be incredible.

I'm still looking for someone to do some custom milling and add either a blue mammoth tooth, Timascus, or maybe meteorite (if I can find one with acceptable contrast) inlay, but other than that the knife is done.
smile.gif

Build list:
Delica whancliffe HAP40 sprint
Flytanium titanium scales
Flytanium titanium backspacer (anodized by BladesWeLove)
Custom anodized and CNCed titanium screws (both sides), sleeves, and pivots (by xxxadrenalinxxx)
Razor Edge Knives titanium pocket clip (custom finish applied by Josh of @razor-edge-knives)

PkyaEKn.jpg

jMNIqc0.jpg

VaHuQbQ.jpg

05pa220.jpg

rJbzH4r.jpg

H9T6EIL.jpg

6WlY01G.jpg

*edit
More to come!!

VFsNNs3.jpg

*Update
Damasteel blade is finished. :D

fXe6BeA.jpg

Vh9ZIXJ.jpg

hEZVwiA.jpg

iQIYMso.jpg

Last edited:
I've paid a lot more for less knife.:(
Awesome Delica with a personal touch, very well done!:thumbsup:

You and me both! The screws/sleeves/pivots were the most expensive part surprisingly. Typically, the Delica replacement screw kits only come with one side and it requires sleeves/custom threading if you want both sides to match. Other than that, I really felt like the build was a really reasonable for the end result. :)

You and me both! The screws/sleeves/pivots were the most expensive part surprisingly. Typically, the Delica replacement screw kits only come with one side and it requires sleeves/custom threading if you want both sides to match. Other than that, I really felt like the build was a really reasonable for the end result. :)

I saw your knife on another forum when I was on the search for replacement hardware on my vg10 Delica4 and learned how much of an investment you have just on the hardware. But it's those types of details that make it stand out.

Really well sorted and great shots. Would love to see how the finishes end up wearing in down the line as a user.

I saw your knife on another forum when I was on the search for replacement hardware on my vg10 Delica4 and learned how much of an investment you have just on the hardware. But it's those types of details that make it stand out.

Really well sorted and great shots. Would love to see how the finishes end up wearing in down the line as a user.

There was definitely a little bit of sticker shock when I saw the pricing for a full set of custom hardware. Sometimes you want what you want though. :D

Now let's just hope I don't strip a screw or pivot doing something dumb, lol.

Thanks for the compliments and I'll be sure to post some pics every once in awhile down the road! I'm carrying it right now, so I'm sure snail trails will be appearing at any moment, lol.

Lol, a pm2 would absolutely dwarf my hands. A para 3 would be more my speed. But man... What could you even do to spend that much on a pm2? Custom engraving? Reblade?

I’m not sure if you could hit $1000 without custom work or adding precious stones/metals.
$300 on some rare sprint run.
I think you can spend $100+ on a pocket clip.
Another $100-150 on Ti hardware and lanyard tube.
Some fancy scales maybe $200 max.
(Edit just found flowmascus scales on eBay for $244 yikes)

I’m sure you could regrind, pvd coat, and engrave the rest of the way to $1000 after that.

Last edited:
Very cool. I love customized knives. I find G-10 extremely boring for the most part. FRN too.

My Manix 2 is in the priceless realm.

Started out as a CTS-XHP foliage green sprint in March 2014 at ~$180. Try finding one of those now for under $300. Then I added ironwood scales by Sketchen for $120 2015. Then last fall titanium screws and a MXG titanium deep carry shorty clip.

I don't even wanna guess at replacement cost, but it is my favorite knife.

MqvbXqa.jpg

Very cool. I love customized knives. I find G-10 extremely boring for the most part. FRN too.

My Manix 2 is in the priceless realm.

Started out as a CTS-XHP foliage green sprint in March 2014 at ~$180. Try finding one of those now for under $300. Then I added ironwood scales by Sketchen for $120 2015. Then last fall titanium screws and a MXG titanium deep carry shorty clip.

I don't even wanna guess at replacement cost, but it is my favorite knife.

MqvbXqa.jpg

It sure turned out gorgeous! That's some great looking ironwood. I'm with you when it comes to G10. It's just never really done anything for me. I don't like the aesthetics much and I don't like how it feels in the hand at all. Almost like stone or something. FRN, I can get on board with as long as the pattern is ok (I find the Chaparral LW pattern to be excellent for instance), but for the most part I like to stick to Micarta, natural woods or titanium.

How ya liking the ti scales? Been tempted for my waved delica, thought they’d be to heavy?

How ya liking the ti scales? Been tempted for my waved delica, thought they’d be to heavy?

I'm really, really liking them. I have a thing for stonewashed titanium in particular. In fact, I think I'm going stonewash my SAK to match the Delica. :D It just seems to look better and better with use. The titanium scales do add a fair bit of weight though (I prefer some heft in my handles). With the pocket clip and new scales, the knife is weighing in at 3.6oz, up from 2.4oz.

wAsmSHB.jpg

Back