How useful are bayonets?

The video is interesting. The accuracy and usefulness of the opinions given in the video is highly debatable.

The person who made the video is a history "hobbyist", and the video is full of anecdotes and opinions at best, with facts, sources and references being scant.

If I said this or that famous person did something, or said something, or this or that happened in a particular battle or war, I should be prepared to cite my source - or risk being discredited. If you watch it to the end, the closing sequence gives a pretty good idea as to how seriously the video should be taken.

They say this is true for every war regardless of who’s on the other side. Most people don’t want to kill other people and so shoot towards the enemy without truly aiming even when presented the opportunity.

Here is an interesting video on the subject.

The video is interesting. The accuracy and usefulness of the opinions given in the video is highly debatable.

The person who made the video is a history "hobbyist", and the video is full of anecdotes and opinions at best, with facts, sources and references being scant.

If I said this or that famous person did something, or said something, or this or that happened in a particular battle or war, I should be prepared to cite my source - or risk being discredited. If you watch it to the end, the closing sequence gives a pretty good idea as to how seriously the video should be taken.

Email him if you want to know the sources, I’m sure he would be happy to share them with you. He has more serious videos and less serious ones. He does a youtube channel for a living. He has it fun likely because that is what works for him getting views.

It doesn't matter to me - not a big deal. I was just putting the word out in the thread that it's not like he is some kind of authority or true expert on the subject, and that some of his comments, observations and opinions were debatable at best. Not to be taken as "fact". That's all.

Email him if you want to know the sources, I’m sure he would be happy to share them with you. He has more serious videos and less serious ones. He does a youtube channel for a living. He has it fun likely because that is what works for him getting views.

Thank you. All four were reservists - Combat Engineers. Good boys. He carried this Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn knife.

karl_linn48.jpg
karl_linn50.jpg
Bless your son and his comrades and bless you.

One thing I find interesting concerning bayonets is when the bayonet lug was banned as a feature on civilian rifles, and still banned on military rifles in certain states, I cannot find one instance of a civilian attack from a bayonet charge mounted on a rifle in this country...

It doesn't matter to me - not a big deal. I was just putting the word out in the thread that it's not like he is some kind of authority or true expert on the subject, and that some of his comments, observations and opinions were debatable at best. Not to be taken as "fact". That's all.

No he definitely isn’t. The video is definitely for entertainment purposes first and foremost. There are better places to get information like that. I find alot of the better videos on youtube are generally a professor talking infront of his class or something like that.

Goldie your absolutely correct. I've never heard of a civilian here or in Europe using a rifle mounted bayonet in my life. In terms of the civilian danger being stabbed by a rifle mounted bayonet ranks right up there with getting bit by a saber toothed tiger.

Its the most mindless banned feature in certain states I have ever seen.

After the Falklands campaign we got a briefing from a British Major, and according to him the SA80 rifle was initially designed NOT to take a bayonet. After the Scots Guards experience in the Falklands the British decided they would issue a bayonet with the SA80, which may be the reason that bayonet looks like an after thought. The British Major's regiment was the Scots Guards, so he may have embellished the story a bit. As far as current bayonet go, the USMC is probably the best one out there. John

I agree.

I would also add, don't sell the Camillus CAM1A1 short, either.....that's actually a very nice bayonet. That, and the new Marine Corps Ontario one, are actually starting to approach a decent knife in their own right.

The Marines did their research back to WWII as to what they needed. They wanted a bayonet that would work mostly as a utility knife, then as a combat knife and finally as a bayonet. The first one they adopted from Eickhorn broke a lot during testing. The one Ontario made was run thru their bayonet assault course many times, with no breakages, then run thru again as a combat knife, and again no breakages. John

First off, for those of you who have served in the armed forces: thank you for your diligent service in the protection of our great land. Your contributions do not go unnoticed. Thank you!

I have a Phrobis bayonet that sits on my shelf as I pen this. It is strong, stainless and looks cool. I don't use it for anything really. Some days I wonder what these units cost the US Army...I think they were made by Buck if memory serves.

These blades would be powerful enough to pry open wooden crates or breech stubborn doors. I imagine there are countless other uses for military purposes...

First off, for those of you who have served in the armed forces: thank you for your diligent service in the protection of our great land. Your contributions do not go unnoticed. Thank you!

I have a Phrobis bayonet that sits on my shelf as I pen this. It is strong, stainless and looks cool. I don't use it for anything really. Some days I wonder what these units cost the US Army...I think they were made by Buck if memory serves.

These blades would be powerful enough to pry open wooden crates or breech stubborn doors. I imagine there are countless other uses for military purposes...

In modern conflict that all takes place at the FOB and the FOB usually has the appropriate tools to do that. On patrol I'm not going to open crates or pry open doors, none of my supplies will come in a crate and if I need a door open I have a shotgun or C4 to make that happen.

The bayonete is used in ceremony and we still (or at least) train with them but once you head down range it's just another piece of unused heavy gear like MOP suits and gas masks.

Back