HTM Gunhammer with Ti Framelock and CF/G-10 -- PICS, INPUT NEEDED

Also is this a prepay or pay when knife is ready?
Emailing Darrel right now to ask. My guess is that there'll be some sort of deposit up front just so people don't flake out, with the balance due when the knives are finished. Since they already have the materials and such in-house and anticipate a quick turnaround (<1 month), I'm also asking if the deposit could be less than on the forum knife -- maybe 25% of the knife's price rather than 50%.

Regrettably I am going to have to back out of this due to an unforeseen family emergency.

I am really sorry about this.I hope you understand. :(

Regrettably I am going to have to back out of this due to an unforeseen family emergency.

I am really sorry about this.I hope you understand. :(
No worries, I've taken your name off the list. Hope things work out with the family situation.

In general I like this project. I think the ti frame lock is great, althought I'd like to see better pictures of it. I can't wait to see how the textured carbon fiber looks (or the G10)...if they were offering a torpedo blade I'd go ahead and commit, but I'll have to think about this with the bowie blade.

Darrel just sent me some pics of the locking side. The textured Ti looks sweet! Pics are below, and I've also added them to the original post:

Last edited:
In general I like this project. I think the ti frame lock is great, althought I'd like to see better pictures of it. I can't wait to see how the textured carbon fiber looks (or the G10)...if they were offering a torpedo blade I'd go ahead and commit, but I'll have to think about this with the bowie blade.
I've asked Darrel whether it'd be possible to do Torpedo blades, and he said he'd look into it and get back to me.

I posted this in a separate thread, but Darrel made a quick video on his cell phone showing the Ti framelock Gunhammer.

[video=youtube;WqALPGX5GQ8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqALPGX5GQ8[/video]

I keep going back and forth on this. On one hand I want to give the brand a chance. The high price compared to similar products made by other companies is holding me back a bit though. Then on the other hand rereading the forum knife thread in addition to numerous individual complaints about Gunhammers make me want to turn and run.

I know Darrel states that HTM has completely changed in every way to improve their output but talk is cheap. I don't think I can justify paying such a premium price for a knife that has proven time and again to be a less than premium product.

Not to sound harsh but my honest thoughts as a potential customer.

Last edited:
Ima droolin over this thing. Ive been hankering a GH for quite some time, and while the forum knife hysteria and general HTM lackluster quality control has been an issue for most... I'd be willing to give it a shot. Now I'm not committing just yet; the funds just aren't there at the moment. I'd be all over a stonewashed blade with textured CF.

Also, I feel like pointing out that the pocket clip could use some more time and energy (and maybe some of that $499...). I don't like playing comparisons, because apples aren't exactly apples in the knife world, but for that price I would expect more than a pocket clip that looks like an afterthought.

Last edited:
I keep going back and forth on this. On one hand I want to give the brand a chance. The high price compared to similar products made by other companies is holding me back a bit though. Then on the other hand rereading the forum knife thread in addition to numerous individual complaints about Gunhammers make me want to turn and run.

I know Darrel states that HTM has completely changed in every way to improve their output but talk is cheap. I don't think I can justify paying such a premium price for a knife that has proven time and again to be a less than premium product.

Not to sound harsh but my honest thoughts as a potential customer.
The honest feedback is very much appreciated. I understand the trepidation. If you happen to live near a show that Darrel attends, that would be the way to check out HTM's recent ouput and judge for yourself whether the quality has improved.

Of course, for a large swathe of the country, attending a show isn't going to be feasible without substantial time/travel, which makes me think that it'd be worth trying to talk Darrel into doing a pass-around with one of these protos. I'll shoot him an email asking if that'd be possible and will update you guys when he responds.

Ima droolin over this thing. Ive been hankering a GH for quite some time, and while the forum knife hysteria and general HTM lackluster quality control has been an issue for most... I'd be willing to give it a shot. Now I'm not committing just yet; the funds just aren't there at the moment. I'd be all over a stonewashed blade with textured CF.

Also, I feel like pointing out that the pocket clip could use some more time and energy (and maybe some of that $499...). I don't like playing comparisons, because apples aren't exactly apples in the knife world, but for that price I would expect more than a pocket clip that looks like an afterthought.
Yeah, the pocket clip is the same one that they used on the original HTM Gunhammer (the aluminum handled version), and while it's a good, functional clip, I agree that it doesn't really do justice to the rest of the knife in this case. At the very least, I think it should be silver rather than black to match the Ti handle. I'll pass the feedback along to Darrel.

These look great. Now that the handles are a little thinner and they're framelocks they sound pretty much perfect, with the exception of the pocket clip. Any chance of a new, lower carry pocket clip on these? Maybe something more in the style of the carved shirogorov clips?

I held a prototype at the Arkansas Knife show about 2 months ago. Great feeling knife. Rock solid lock up.

I'd like one in textured CF and a titanium or stonewashed clip..... No coating on the blade - I use my knives and hate scratched up blade coatings.

In my humble opinion, and from personal experience, Mr. Ralph is not interested in good customer relations - or probably any customer relations. When I contacted Mr. Ralph by email about the estimated value of a custom auto he made, which had been in my collection for well over 10 years, he told me to send it to Arizona custom knives and that they would sell it for me!! Thank yew very much!!!

No more lies. I treat all customer with deep respect.

You are Banned forever!

Last edited by a moderator:
In my humble opinion, and from personal experience, Mr. Ralph is not interested in good customer relations - or probably any customer relations. When I contacted Mr. Ralph by email about the estimated value of a custom auto he made, which had been in my collection for well over 10 years, he told me to send it to Arizona custom knives and that they would sell it for me!! Thank yew very much!!!

Once you purchase a DDR knife it's your problem - he assumes no responsibility for you satisfaction what so ever. Other custom knife makers don't hesitate to answer questions and give information about their work, as would be expected after a $500 purchase. My advice BUYER BEWARE.

Custom knife makers are not knife dealers; they don't know the secondary market price of their knives and it's not their job to monitor what their knives sell for after they are out of their hands. Telling you to contact Arizona Custom Knives is the best advice he could give you, considering that they are the ones who sell custom knives on the secondary market. To think that this displays a lack of customer relations is patently absurd.

Custom knife makers are not knife dealers; they don't know the secondary market price of their knives and it's not their job to monitor what their knives sell for after they are out of their hands. Telling you to contact Arizona Custom Knives is the best advice he could give you, considering that they are the ones who sell custom knives on the secondary market. To think that this displays a lack of customer relations is patently absurd.
^^^This.

People can reasonably voice dissatisfaction with communication (especially on the forum knife, which even given the shop move from OH to TX took much too long, as well as the delay in the Bowie blades that even I as a moderator still haven't been able to get a clear explanation for) or say that HTM has some work to do on the QC front given their price point (which they do).

But complaining because a maker didn't provide you with an appraisal of the secondary market price of a knife is ridiculous. The job of knife makers is to make a product and stand behind its craftsmanship, not to monitor secondary market prices. If you had a problem with the knife itself, Darrel would have been more than happy to take care of it for you. Moreover, if you had a question about the particular knife you have -- whether there's anything unique about that particular knife, how many he made in that model/configuration, etc -- that could help you or a dealer determine what you should ask for it, chances are he'd be happy to provide that info as well.

neuron - Any news on this thing? People biting on it anywhere else? How about that pocket clip?

Back