Hunting Knife Design Preferences

I prefer a three to four inch blade, drop point, no bolster. Wood or Micarta handles. Choice of steel varies, but those that I like a lot are O1, D2, A2, S30V, 154CM.
This 4 inch blade by Rick Meneffee pretty well sums it up for me.

Bob Doziers D2 fixed blades in about a 3-4" blade size embody to me a nearly perfect hunting knife. I am comfortable with either a clip style or drop point for hunting, but probably prefer a drop point.

The main differences were in how well they fit my hand and balanced. Lesson learned? Pick a knife style you like and use it. If it just doesn't "feel right", try another.

This is it. I am constantly buying and selling trying to find the perfect one. Sometimes I even go backwards in my thinking. It's a fun journey and gives me something to do.

I prefer a three to four inch blade, drop point, no bolster. Wood or Micarta handles. Choice of steel varies, but those that I like a lot are O1, D2, A2, S30V, 154CM.
This 4 inch blade by Rick Meneffee pretty well sums it up for me.

That's a great looking Menefee

This thread has me wanting to try out a trailing point...

They work great for piercing. But still have the belly for slicing. We often hear of the "survival" use of strapping a knife to a spear, but I think few have actually done it. I have. Once. Many years ago. I was bow hunting for deer without success and walking home. I spotted two coons in a tree and arrowed them. One fell at my feet and one clung to the perch in the tree. In short order my quiver was empty but the wounded animal was still alive and still in the tree. I made a very long spear with my trailing point knife and managed to stab and twist the critter from the tree. So the technique does work. And had I been using a blunt drop point knife, I never would have pierced that hide. The trailing point worked well, though it still took some effort.

Trailing points have long been favorites of mine too. I'm just always looking for something better...:rolleyes:
huntingknivestwo.jpg
DSC_9217.JPG

Last edited:
I have spent the last three years making a concentrated effort to chase down as many knives as I can get my hands on to find the blade that is "just right" for hunting. Enough blade, but not too much length. Enough weight without being clumsy. The point needs to be where it is expected when digging around. The grip has to be positive without being abrasive. The design should also not be so narrowly focused on skinning that the knife can't be used for general utility purposes either. Edge retention, fit/finish, ease of carry and sheath retention. Quality materials but real-word price are all factors too.

It's been a great quest and I've had a lot of fun buying, selling and trading as I try and experience something different. For me, the closest I've found to "just right" is done by Bob Dozier. The K-2 General Purpose seems to melt into my hand and I know exactly where every centimeter of blade is while working with it. Predictable, secure, efficient and well executed, it will outlast me for sure. If I have a gripe its the challenge D2 represents for sharpening.

Z

I too have and use a Dozier General Purpose. Great knife, & horizontal sheath is great. It just doesn't do a good job fileting my fish. I did try though.

Drop point and lots of shallow belly on a hollow grind with a palm filling grip.

Tom Mayo made this for me during my last Hawaii assignment.

DSCN0210.JPG

The two that I just got and really can't wait to try.
A Phillip Patton hunter that I can't figure out how to take a picture of that shows it's true beauty and a Schrade Walden 147s that fits me like it was made for my hand.
attachment.php

patton and 147s 2.jpg

Like I stated before, I want to try a trailing point. I chose this one

IMG_20131202_183829_zps5e5ced82.jpg

IMG_20131202_183759_zps08d6c916.jpg

I have one tag I want to fill left and two weeks to fill it. Hopefully I will get a chance to try this knife out.

Like I stated before, I want to try a trailing point. I chose this one

IMG_20131202_183829_zps5e5ced82.jpg

I have one tag I want to fill left and two weeks to fill it. Hopefully I will get a chance to try this knife out.
That is really nice. I hope you get a chance to use it. I expect a full report.:D

Value for your dollar wise, I have a very hard time beating the Bill Moran Drop Point Hunter by Spyderco. I have used it exclusively in the field for about 5 years and cannot come up with any negatives. Customers are blown away when I recommend it since it is a <$100 knife.

Hunting knives are my favs. Because to me they represent near perfect balance of a do-all camp utility skinner light-bushcraft companion..um..hunting knife. Typically around 4-4.5". I don't like heavy. Heavy means I might have to carry less of something else if it came down to it(SHTF). Which I think about being an ultralite backpacker. If i can have the same function level with less weight, then thats good-er:thumbup:. Anyways, here is my collection.

Right to left:Mike Erie Hunter, W J McDonald Flat Top Semi Skinner, Camillus OVB Signature, Off the Map Bitterroot, Fehrman Scout, Dozier Professionals guide, Landi bushcraft, "NE" unknown custom made, Busse Badger Attack 3
SampWE1911WC970_zpsee41b2a7.jpg

SampWE1911WC936_zpsf70e91e6.jpg

SampWE1911WC937_zps7a53ca41.jpg

Mike Erie on left. Nice feeling knife. Handle is dyed Giraffe shin bone. On right is prolly the best finished of all the knives in the groups. McDonald semi Skinner. Truly a mirror finished blade(154CM). Tapered tag. Also feels good in the hand. Both of these knives came with sharper then average factory edges.
SampWE1911WC938_zps0deb99ef.jpg

SampWE1911WC958_zps0d9c39f6.jpg

Kinda big with its 6" blade. But still one of my all time favs. Fehrman Scout in 3V.
SampWE1911WC966_zps46490870.jpg

My current all time fav. Busse Badger Attack 3.
SampWE1911WC965_zpscbd397b2.jpg

Yet another fav., Dozier Pros guide. Also coming with a crazy sharp factory edge(still unused).
SampWE1911WC948_zpsa54ec770.jpg

Can't forget the Trace Rinaldi TTKK.
SampWE1911WC895_zps7a1706c7.jpg

I'd also carry this Simonich Military Urban Raven. This knife is growing on me.
SampWE1911WC877_zps66fe5bb2.jpg

The end

Gee, I just don't know...

21dqsyw.jpg

The Schrade Walden 165OT in this picture was my favorite. Since some time in the late 1960's or early 1970's. It was in the group of this pattern recently stolen, since this picture above was posted. Let me know if you see it and about twenty of it's brothers please. I miss it.

I left for work, they kicked in my back door and tossed my whole house. I came home 1 1/2 hours later and it was done. Around 200 knives, a laptop, cameras, money, my hearing aid, a stash of change etc. Someone was evidently watching from the woods behind my house to see me leave.

Back