Hunting Knife Design Preferences

I'm sorry to hear that also Codger. Makes you wish for a James Bond device with a remote controlled detonator or something like that. That's how I felt when my car was stolen.

As for hunting knives, I like drop points with a thin flat grind, although a nicely done hollow grind is fine for me also. I've used a CS Master Hunter, Dozier Delta Traveler, and the Buck Vanguard.

The Vanguard continually surprises me how well it works. I would not EVER feel under-knifed with this one. The MH is an old one in the original Carbon V. I like the shape and steel, although compared to some others it almost seems too big anymore. The Dozier is a large version of an Arkansas Traveler that's only available at one on-line dealer. I really like it also, it's the middle one.
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q203/sodak_photos/inventory/p1010003-1.jpg

I haven't yet been able to try a couple of my Wilsons. I suspect that when I do, nothing else will quite fill the bill anymore.
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q203/sodak_photos/P1000582_zpsab4fa525.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q203/sodak_photos/inventory/P1000518.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q203/sodak_photos/inventory/P1000516.jpg

Those are all nice and well proportioned. That Dozier reminds me of a smaller version of my Bob Loveless knife (RIP). The Wilson is nice as well. You need to get busy making meat it seems. Weather running thru here has screwed up hunting and I've only butchered two so far this fall. I used the Weeks pass-around knife on one last fall but want to try this latest one to see what effect the tweaks on it have.

mack, when you make up your mind on what pattern you want, cut it out of a piece of cardstock and send it to me. i'll make it out of the 3/16" 1075 and do a convex grind like i did on buck mcneelys skinner. (unless you want it to be a chisel grind)

you'll have to try out the necker i made for you. maybe you will come across someone that just shot something and in the process of skinning it :D

mack, when you make up your mind on what pattern you want, cut it out of a piece of cardstock and send it to me. i'll make it out of the 3/16" 1075 and do a convex grind like i did on buck mcneelys skinner.

you'll have to try out the necker i made for you. maybe you will come across someone that just shot something and in the process of skinning it :D

I think you're right about the necker being a great hunting knife. It's a great shape for it.

if i make one with a little bigger handle from the same 1/8" steel, that would be sweet and lightweight. add a skeletonized stabilized burl slab handle or the neoprene and you're ready to skin something :D.

(i can almost make you out in the reflection. i should have hit it another minute on the 15 micron belt before going to the buffer)

9h71cl.png

Holy moly. That. is. amazing.

Glad those scumbags didn't get their mitts on that one.

if i make one with a little bigger handle from the same 1/8" steel, that would be sweet and lightweight. add a skeletonized stabilized burl slab handle or the neoprene and you're ready to skin something :D.

(i can almost make you out in the reflection. i should have hit it another minute on the 15 micron belt before going to the buffer)
Actually the handle is a great size for me. I may put some slabs on it sometime but for now, I absolutely love using it as is.

I'm still searching for the perfect one, but I've got a couple that are pretty darned close.

This is the most recent. It is a Rodent Trail (Trail for the trailing point) that I spec'd out from the Swamp Rat Custom Shop. SR-101 (52100 steel with Busse heat treat) at ~59Rc. Full-flat ground blade at 0.170" thick and 4 1/2" long. 9" overall length. I've nicknamed it the "Trail Skinner", and there is not currently another like it. Have not had the chance to use it yet though. :(

Trail5.jpg

Trail3.jpg

This one is a Muk design from Busse. Their signature INFI steel, also ~59Rc. Full-flat ground blade at 0.165" thick, 4 1/4" blade, 9 1/4" long overall. Muk design needs no commentary. I do like that there is still a reasonable point on this variation however.

Muk2.jpg

Muk3.jpg

Finally, this is a Ratmandu Bowie variant from Swamp Rat. SR-101 at ~59Rc. Saber ground blade at 0.189" thick and 5 1/2" long, 10 1/2" long overall. Nearly a trailing point with the Bowie clip. GREAT all-purpose knife! :thumbup:

RMDB7.jpg

Bowie_RMD_Sheath_1.jpg

My current favorite, a slightly modded swamp rat rodent trail.

vnPbeLR.jpg

Not so much of a trailing point anymore, but very good for my needs. SP's custom RT should perform very well.

If I were to make changes, they would be one, swap out for solid handle pins, and two, no lanyard hole, leave micarta covering that area. But that is just for ease of clean-up. The function is great.

I think you're right about the necker being a great hunting knife. It's a great shape for it.

For field dressing I really like a skeleton or one piece knife. The cleanup is a lot easier. I have used an Esee izula, Buck paclite, BHK tiger knapp, and White River backpacker. I like the backpacker the most.

Like I stated before, I want to try a trailing point. I chose this one

IMG_20131202_183829_zps5e5ced82.jpg

IMG_20131202_183759_zps08d6c916.jpg

I have one tag I want to fill left and two weeks to fill it. Hopefully I will get a chance to try this knife out.

Well after giving this knife a try, I can tell you it's not for me. After about getting through skinning about 1/4 of a deer, I switched over to a drop point. Nothing against this knife, I am just so used to having the point on the same line as my pointer finger extended that the upswept blade was very awkward. It's now for sale on the exchange.

Wow. I didn't expect that. I guess that's why we have so many different styles here.
Good luck finding the perfect match for you.

little finn is what I am trying next season. I keep getting smaller in the blade. I do not bust the ribcage or split the pelvis.

This is the one I´ve been using for the last three years:
2A5353CFBC3A5325AAB3315325AAAA.jpg

Four inches of forged 52100, convex grind, full tang with Mediterranean oak slabs, from 2G forge. I made the sheath (crude, but functional) and fob.
Regards.

Last edited:
This is the one I´ve been using for the last three years:
2A5353CFBC3A5325AAB3315325AAAA.jpg

Four inches of forged 52100, convex grind, full tang with Mediterranean oak slabs, from 2G forge. I made the sheath (crude, but functional) and fob.
Regards.

That looks like a very capable blade ^. Especially in 52100

This is the newest one I just got for The Boss, hence the purple kirinite scales. It's not a traditional hunting style but it sure works well.
1932465_850952718289554_7978050654722705631_n.jpg

1981815_850948314956661_3589549030776096122_n.jpg

Drop point for a hunting knife, typically my RC (Esse) 4. I sometimes use my Izula as well. no guard but sometimes a choil. This year's deer I actually used my Benchmade 581 because I wanted to see how the M390 held up and it did great! I haven't had to sharpen it again! I do the fine work with a Cold Steel filet knife. If I want the fur, like I do for bears, I use my Helle Fjellman for obvious reasons. I see no real point to a gut hook. When I had one I always just flipped the knife over and used the blade before cleaning out the gut hook.

Back