I drove my first Harley today...tell us about your first time

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by knife hunter, Sep 17, 2010.

1. navihawk

navihawk

Feb 21, 2006
    My first bike was a Suzuki 50 when I was 15. Went on to own a few Triumphs. My last bike was an 84 FLHP. Last of the shovels. Got in a bad accident. Love the Shovels. Miss this one for sure.

[​IMG]

2. Horn Dog

Horn Dog

Sep 9, 2005
    The old Road King is a slow mobile. I put a big bore kit an SE stage II cams in mine. Now the fat old man can get on down the road!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Live to ride, Ride to live!

3. Cutshaw

Cutshaw Prev. Paddling_Man Moderator

Aug 15, 2004
    First was on the back of my Dad's Harley when I was 7 or 8. ;) He is 77 now and rides a '94 Electra-Glide. Ride on Dad, ride on.

Me? V-4 Honda Magna. I rode it down to Atlanta for Blade after circling thru the Smokies and visiting friends and my folks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NAVIHAWK - Brother, THAT is a beautiful bike!!

4. TurnerIII

TurnerIII

Jul 20, 2005

Of course its clean

1) Cuz its Drews....
    2) Here in Minnesota it does not get out much - a few days per year :) :) :O

Nice bike Drew.:thumbup::D

5. MVF

MVF Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 2, 2005
    My first bike was a 1974 Yamaha TX500- couldn't afford a Harley, though that's what I grew up wanting. Got to loving going fast too much to get a Harley (and the fact that they always seem to cost twice as much as whatever other bike I'm looking at). Somehow, in over 35 years of riding, I've never ridden a Harley! I always said that someday I'd be old enough to get a Harley (meaning ready to slow down a bit), but my FJR really makes me wonder. Would like to try one some day.

6. GPB

GPB Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 9, 2000
    THAT is a BAD BOY!

Raced motocross most of my young life then switched to WERA, AMA and MCRA Road Racing. Quit after a very bad wreck in turn one, clockwise, Gateway Park in East St. Louis, Illinois. Embedded certain body parts where they weren't meant to reside. Scariest track ever was Road America in Wisconsin.

Wife insists no more after all the stories, pics and and scars of a long racing career starting at about the age of 9 and ending at 25.

Had a Sportster and Buell Lightning but sold them after marriage. Give anything to have a nice crusier v-twin now, but it isn't going to happen. She knows I couldn't stay out of it.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  7. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    I have ridden all kinds of bikes.

Harley, Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha, Bullet bikes, cruisers, muscle bikes.

I was a bit nervous riding a dana wide glide (Owner of the company I worked for tossed me the keys, it had 10k in paint alone).

Funnest bike I ever rode was a Honda F4i bullet bike. 0 to 130 in about a block and a half in a 25mph zone.

I have a dual sport I have been riding for about 9 years.

Kawasaki KLX 650. I keep knobbies on it, and ride it off road whenever I can. It is super fun around town, and will go faster than a smart person should on knobbies! (I have only had it up to 110 one time, and the head wind became a cross wind when the free way turned.......pushed me across all three lanes of traffic to the other shoulder).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  8. Texas Slim

Texas Slim

Feb 12, 2007
    Thought I'd add my baby to the thread. I rode dirt bikes as a kid and raced as a teenager until I grew old enough that healing took too long. My first Harley belonged to by brother, a beautiful Fat Boy he let me ride. It was many years later that I bought one of my own. My current bike is my second and last Harley. I love this scooter and can't imagine riding another...ever.

[​IMG]

9. knifezoid

knifezoid

Apr 17, 2009
    I rode my uncles Softtail. Great ride. Loved it. I had a sportbike at the time.
    Now I ride a V Star 1100. I wouldn't say the Soft tail made me switch, but it
    definitely showed me a new perspective of riding. I would love a Harley, but they
    come with a hefty price tag.

10. Atmosphere

Atmosphere

Jul 24, 2010
    My first time was very similar, in a safety course. Bought a Sportster once I had my license. Traded in the Sportster for a Dyna. Would eventually like to move up to a Road King, but I don't see that happening for quite some time.

11. KellyGlanzer

KellyGlanzer

May 4, 2005
    My first and current Harley is this Fatbob. I've had lots of bikes but I'm a lot more mello when I ride a Harley vs the crotch rockets i've had in the past. I've pretty much always had a dirtbike, grew up riding and racing in the dirt and on the ice in the winter. Right now for a dirtbike i'm riding a 08 KXF250.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Horn Dog

Horn Dog

Sep 9, 2005
    The first Harley I ever rode was a 70s Electra Glide. I had a new Yamaha Virago V-Twin, and the Harley owner wanted to try it out. So we swapped bikes for a while. The H-D felt heavy, crude and loose. It shook, rattled, clanked, clunked, and made all sorts of noise, but it sure sounded impressive. Meanwhile, my Yamaha was fast running off from me on the Harley. The newer Harleys are much smoother and faster, but they still have a bit of that mechanical feel that only Harleys have. My first Harleys were Sportsters. They were quick and good handling machines, but shook like paint shakers. The little 2 gallon peanut gas tanks meant you could only ride 75 to 80 miles before refueling, which you were happy to do just to get off the boneshaking thing for a while.

13. knife hunter

knife hunter "Die Hard Hog" Moderator & Dealer Moderator

Dec 5, 2007
    THis has turned into a good read with some beautiful bikes.

THis wasnt my first, like many here I grew up with dirt bikes on the farm etc. I put a couple thousand miles on a Katana 1100 back in the day and got to 145 before I backed down, but as my next BD I will be 40.... Something a little slower seems more my speed these days.:thumbup::)

14. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007

Well, that is where the Harley excels. You don't have to ride balls to the walls and can relax and enjoy.

What I want is something more sportsterish.

Good upright riding position, still decent speed, and handling.

If I had lots of extra cash to lay down right now, I would go for an Exile bike.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They also make a mean Trike for when you get too old to ride the bike.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. MORIMOTOM

MORIMOTOM

Oct 29, 2005
    trevor,

im still waiting for your offer to adopt me.

16. ExoticVizonz

ExoticVizonz

Mar 17, 2010
    But the BIG QUESTION is....Would KH's coming collection of Harley's rival his collection of Busse's? Now there is something to think about folks.

I caught the HOG bug Looong before the Busse Bug, and posting pics of my HOG's would be, well a very long thread indeed. KH all I can say is Live to Ride and Ride to Live brother, Steel is Steel whether it is in your hand or saddled up beneath ya, so pop the clutch and crack the throttle, and stay vertical brotha, I foresee a lot of miles ahead of ya.....NO REGRETS!

17. Strabs

Strabs

Feb 11, 2000

Attached Files:

18. ponte

ponte

Feb 7, 2008
    Good luck T! Hope you find one that suits you. My first ride on a Harley was the Dyna convertible on the left. I bought my 06' Dyna (middle) soon after. I also have a 77 Honda CB550. Love em all. For me, it's not what you ride but that you ride. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

19. d762nato

d762nato Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2009
    [​IMG]

Would this be slow enough Trev. :D

20. Skrapmetal

Skrapmetal

Jul 13, 2009
    Harley's are the one temptation in life I have been able to fight off. If I had not, I would almost certainly be dead by now. I have a bad habit of driving way too fast, something I've always enjoyed, and I've also got terrible luck. Been in probably a dozen accidents in my life (and I'm only 31!). And only one was my fault... back when I was 16 and the choke on the carburator on my AMC Eagle got stuck and locked the throttle open, which made it pretty damned hard to stop for that stop sign. Had I kicked the gas pedal a few times, it would have come unstuck... but I was 16 and didn't quite have instincts for driving yet. Certainly not for hitting the gas when you're trying to stop, anyway.

It's been difficult, since my old man has been riding ever since I was a kid, and currently owns a few Harley's and one very cool Gold Wing trike. I absolutely love riding dirt bikes, though. I just don't trust the rest of the dillholes on the road.

So I stick to fast toys with four wheels. Like the current one in my avatar. Nothing like running with Vettes in a truck. ;)