I got a reply from Benchmade on Axis lock patent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. I think this explanation is the most accurate. From what I have read, Bill McHenry and Jason Williams hold the patent of the locking mechanism. They sold or licenced the right of exclusively using the locking mechanism to Benchmade, who named it AXIS lock. So the term "AXIS lock" (or "Axis lock" for that matter) is really the trademark of Benchmade.

Now that the patent has expired, any company or individual can put that locking mechanism on they folding knives (or their umbrellas if they wish) as long as they do not call it AXIS lock.

I think and hope we will see more than a few non-Benchmade knives with this locking mechanism in the near future.

If i'm not mistaken, there are many ways Benchmade/Bill McHenry and Jason Williams could keep it from being released in the public domain. Many companies have done this(not necessarily knife companies), but either way I wouldn't be surprised if this happened.

If i'm not mistaken, there are many ways Benchmade/Bill McHenry and Jason Williams could keep it from being released in the public domain. Many companies have done this(not necessarily knife companies), but either way I wouldn't be surprised if this happened.

I am not a patent expert but I highly doubt they could continue to keep it from releasing to the public.

I think the biggest value of the patent expiration is innovative derivatives.

Since they can be made and sold without patent issue, a manufacurer or designer can see what can be tweaked, and innovated. Tweaked for strength, ease of operation, hybrid lock with another, etc.. the list can go on.

AXIS is the name of the lock patented by Benchmade, ‘Axis’ is what any copyright-infringing company used to describe the lock without calling it by its patented name.
You cannot patent a name. You can trademark a name, and you can patent an invention — but violating those protections is not copyright infringement.

Nor is someone calling their lock "Axis" somehow avoiding the trademark on the name "AXIS". That's just not how trademarks (specifically "word marks") work.

Last edited:
Beware that the expiration of Benchmade's patent(s) on the "axis" lock doesn't mean that you can implement something similar (i.e. not identical) it without further thought. For example, any number of improved variations on the Axis lock may have been patented more recently by other inventors. There's no substitute for spending quality time on uspto.gov.

You cannot patent a name. You can trademark a name, and you can patent an invention — but violating those protections is not copyright infringement.

Nor is someone calling their lock "Axis" somehow avoiding the trademark on the name "AXIS". That's just not how trademarks (specifically "word marks") work.

You’re right, that was poorly worded. Refer to G Scott H’s reply for a more accurate description of what is going on.

It would be interesting to see Spyderco use it in the Sage series.

This. Spyderco has done a great job showcasing the various locks with the sage series. If they do one with G10 scales and an axis lock that would be just about the perfect knife.

Whether or not this specific patent is experied matters not to me. Evidently its a big deal to some, since new threads are being initiated.

That companies ripped off the lock and the work of others whilst doing so illegally does matter.

People buy according to their wallets and moral code but if all/most just bought ripped off designs, it would be sad for the developement of knife designs.

Reactions: Mo2
Thanks for doing the legwork, Leo! Looks like the rest of us, myself included, were all basing our replies on outdated info while you were busy getting answers right from the horse's mouth. Hats off to you.

I'd love to see Spyderco do a Sage series with this lock. Doubt they'd be able to call it 'axis', but 'McHenry and Williams lock' has a nice enough ring to it!

If anyone wants to read some senseless speculations on this matter:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/axis-lock-patent.1544745/

That was a second thread I started, because the first one was even more ridiculous, that I had to just start a new one.

Edited: too long

Sharing of information is appreciated, but keep the snark out of it.
Find another way to convey your point..It's a good start by editing out what you previously had as we can read all of your edits.

It seems that some are happy with the fact that patent has expired. And some are unhappy/sour about it. Anyone have reasons for why? Im curious.

I do not care as it doesnt affect me in any way. Same reason i never cared for any sports teams, unless i had a stake in it.

I can't wait to see the axis "style" lock on budget blades, it's a great system for one hand opening and closing. Nothing lasts forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back