I got a reply from Benchmade on Axis lock patent

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be interesting to see Spyderco use it in the Sage series.
Now I know the axis lock isn't the ball lock.
Spyderco made a Sage 3 with a Bolt Action lock. They could use a Ball Lock.
Is this close enough ? I have never had a Sage.
How was the Bolt Action ? For instance was the action light like the Axis lock or firm like the ball lock on the Manix ?

I'd love to see Spyderco do a Sage series with this lock. Doubt they'd be able to call it 'axis', but 'McHenry and Williams lock' has a nice enough ring to it!

I asked this before and got zero links so I am asking again since McHenry and Williams are mentioned here. My 710 in M390 says McHenry and Williams on the blade. Where is the best place to learn about them? I know nothing about these guys.

My 710 in M390 says McHenry and Williams on the blade. Where is the best place to learn about them?
I'm not sure, but you're more likely to learn about them as individual knifemakers. Their names are Bill McHenry and Jason Williams.

I can't wait to see the axis "style" lock on budget blades, it's a great system for one hand opening and closing. Nothing lasts forever.

Sorry for off topic. What other styles of locks are there, where the lock release is not on the blade path when closing? My wife hates liner/framelocks because she is scared of putting her finger on the path of blade closing. She also want to close one hand.

Only ones i know are button locks and the sog arc lock.

Sorry for off topic. What other styles of locks are there, where the lock release is not on the blade path when closing? My wife hates liner/framelocks because she is scared of putting her finger on the path of blade closing. She also want to close one hand.

The compression lock from Spyderco is one. Also their ball bearing and caged ball bearing locks. The pivot lock on the Paul Knife is another one.

Not too common, but check out the various G&G Hawk locks, like the "strap" lock they did with Buck, and the weird lock on the CRK Ti-Lock.

And of course the backlock, midlock, frontlock, etc., aren't in the blade path. But you have to put your fingers in the blade path to get leverage.

Not too common, but check out the various G&G Hawk locks, like the "strap" lock they did with Buck, and the weird lock on the CRK Ti-Lock.

And of course the backlock, midlock, frontlock, etc., aren't in the blade path. But you have to put your fingers in the blade path to get leverage.
Thank you. I will check those out!

Btw. If anyone somehow believes my first post about the email is fake or something, (Some people believed i was trolling for even asking about the Axis lock patent), you can use Benchmade contact form:
http://www.benchmade.com/contacts/

You can ask the same question and confirm yourself. Benchmade replied within couple hours.

Also, i would rather like it if people contacted Benchmade and get the answer directly from them, instead of just trusting one source (me). Just like I would not simply take one persons word and believe anything. So please contact Benchmade to make sure yourself. Takes 5 min, and they will reply within hours

Last edited:
Shiro has been making an axis lock for years.

Ok it expired. It still won’t satisfy those who think it should be left alone out of respect.

Shiro has been making an axis lock for years.
I did not know that. How come people complain about Ganzo being a thief when Shiro does it? Is Ganzo less respectable because.... their quality & price is lower? Im in no way supporting Ganzo btw. Just curious.

Also, i would rather like it if people contacted Benchmade and get the answer directly from them
I truly appreciate your attitude and admonition here. However people can also verify it by themselves without taking Benchmade's time, just by looking at the date on the patent:
https://www.google.com/patents/US5737841

By the way, the number of patents (and patent applications) that reference the M&W patent is truly amazing:
https://www.google.com/patents/US5737841#forward-citations

Last edited:
I truly appreciate your attitude and admonition here. However people can also verify it by themselves without taking Benchmade's time, just by looking at the date on the patent: https://www.google.com/patents/US5737841
Thank you Vanadium. But I think most I interacted with will not trust it. I have mentioned the patent date before, and it just turned ugly. It was silly. I think people will only know for sure if:

1) They email Benchmade; then get a reply back from them, saying it is indeed expired.

2) Large American manufacturer starts producing Axis locks

3) Somehow a major/trustworthy news outlet reports about it.

But only #1 can let them know for sure, within hours of writing Benchmade.

Milwaukee makes a line of knives called "fastback", they are inexpensive but decent functional work knives, they make several knives as well as box cutter/razor knives using the system. You push a button and flip the blade open by flicking your wrist, same with closing.

Didn't we see the first variation on the axis earlier this year with a coil spring pushing the bar vs the Omega spring?

AXIS in all caps is the proper name of the lock. The patent would be on the mechanism itself, while I'd assume the AXIS name is copyrighted. AXIS Assist is their assisted version. The original AXIS lock itself is now no longer patented, but the AXIS Assist still is.

Just curious (though it'll probably spark another topic of debate)...
If another company now decided to use an axis lock (same mech, same omega springs) but found another was to assist it than how BM does it in their AXIS Assist would they, at this point in time, be violating the AXIS Assist patent? Or would it be OK cause the AXIS patent is over and they made their own assist system?

Rob Dalton did (at least) one ... But nobody cares what he does ;)

Rob Dalton did (at least) one ... But nobody cares what he does ;)
I still dont understand this.. i did not know Non-Chinese manufacturers were making axis locks. Because all I kept seeing was how Ganzo was doing it.

Was Ganzo targeted more because they were production knives instead of custom? Or because they are Chinese instead from a Western country?

It is silly but i really thought Ganzo was the only ones using Axis locks, other than Benchmade

Last edited:
I still dont understand this.. i did not know Non-Chinese manufacturers were making axis locks. Because all I kept seeing was how Ganzo was doing it.

Was Ganzo targeted more because they were production knives instead of custom? Or because they are Chinese instead from a Western country?

It is silly but i really thought Ganzo was the only ones using Axis locks.
Just because you didn’t see it, doesn’t mean that is hasn’t been discussed here at length. Try searching harder.

And again, your posts often reflect a passive aggressive needling, implying that the members of this forum are all horribly racist towards the Chinese. I don’t think it will work out very well if you keep that up.

Just because you didn’t see it, doesn’t mean that is hasn’t been discussed here at length. Try searching harder.

And again, your posts often reflect a passive aggressive needling, implying that the members of this forum are all horribly racist towards the Chinese. I don’t think it will work out very well if you keep that up.

No, it won't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back