I (think I) chipped my Triple Cut, Sterile, Steel Heart today...

Based on how the knife was used (loved), I would venture to guess that the missing piece of the edge was most likely damaged when it was wedged into a link and then torn out by the chain's movement during chopping! Had the chain link been stationary there might have been some dents but I doubt that there would have been any tears or rips in the edge. When steel chips, it almost always looks like chipped glass. If you look at the close-up pic of the edge, you can see where the steel was torn around the upper edge of what looks like the chip. This is typical of INFI under this type of impact on steel, where the steel continues to move after the edge is wedged in the steel. Whereas, most other knife steels would have chipped out dramatically along the entire edge, INFI simply dented and was ultimately torn out in just the one place. Very cool!!!

When I was much younger, I had been in a fairly similar situation. I was in the Cucamonga wilderness in California, with one of the first large survival-type knives that I had made the year before, in 1979. I came across a dirt bike that had either fallen or been thrown, into a deep gourge. As I sat there on a rock, in the closest thing to the wilderness that I had come across near Los Angeles, I thought to myself, "What would happen if I were pinned under that bike and had to chop my way out?". . . . I suddenly had this overwhelming need to chop the frame of the dirt bike in half!!! :thumbup:. . . . All went fairly well until I whacked into the drive chain! Yowza!!! :eek: . . . . That messed my D-2 blade up in a very bad way! In a "Chips Ahoy" kinda bad way!!!! :eek: :grumpy:

I learned a lot about steel that day and also learned how difficult it was to fix a knife when I was over 2,000 miles away from my shop!!! :eek:

On that day, back in 1980, I made a solemn promise that someday I would be a fulltime knifemaker and that I would have a warranty on my knives that would cover this exact type of situation!!!. . . . Finally, that moment has come!. . .Destiny has found me!. . . . :thumbup:

Send that bad boy in and we'll make her as pretty as possible! And know that your Busse knife is always covered, unless you intentionally destroy it. I think it's safe to say that what happened to your knife was not "intentional destruction". . . . maybe "tough love gone awry", but that's what Busse blades are all about. . . . If you don't abuse them, they may very well run away under the cover of darkness, in search of a more abusive home!!!:eek:. . .

Nothing says, "I love you" to a Busse knife more than a good beating!!!!:thumbup:

Let's Drink!!! :thumbup:

Jerry :D

And that Gentlemen and why I spend so much and swear on this brand. It is stuff like this Mr Busse that creates a reputation unmatched by any other. You sir are an excellent knife maker, master metallurgist, and a fine businessman with an excellent product.

Another savings account bites the dust ;)
So true, so true. INFI is the most addictive substance on the planet imho, Another one bites the dust, and another ones gone and another ones gone, another one bites the dust. My wallet feels your pain but my Busse collection is growing to an exceptional size.

You just cannot make this stuff up in some marketing department. I'm stoked that so many hooved brethren have been holding it down for so long, creating a legacy for up n coming piglets to feed from and keep the torch lit!🐷⚔🐗

I know thread necromancing is not recommended, but I'm glad someone did, 'else I'd never have seen this amazing story.
And even more amazing outcome.

Back