I think this one takes the cake!

sheathmaker

Custom Leather Sheaths
I was unaware that Schrade made a Yellow handled Schrade Walden in the time period claimed here packaged like this, in this model number. It really does look like the SMKW SFO from Cammillus, but surely not, because this upstanding vendor (Sport Colbs) would have nothing to gain by presenting other than the truth.....would He?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Schrade-Walden-...089102653QQcategoryZ48820QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Paul

yep, I bought one as well when they first came out, definately one of the Camillus made for SMKW, as the knife goes a well made Camillus.

Rusty1

...the cake will be when the winner opens the packet and "this pre-closing" Walden" contains the statement Schrade closed in 2004 and its made under Licence by Taylor. Incredible fore sight by Schrade if its "genuine". I have the fake as well...I dont reckon its as well made as the original..I threw it in my tool box..the other genuine Schrades were talking and whispering behind its back anyway! Seller may get a negative or the knife back. Hoo Roo

Larry303, get it out of the tool box, maybe it might become a Camillus collectable, ho ho.

Rusty1

You know, I think I may have gotten taken by something similar in my "younger" days of collecting (like 3 months ago). Would that make this not an actual Schrade as well?

scan0012.jpg

Yup. You guessed it. Bear & Son Cutlery SFO for SMKW. Still a nice knife. But not a real Schrade. Or Schrade Walden.

Michael

Well, fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Thanks Codger for solidifying what I was suspecting. Gotta take it off of my Schrade display now.:thumbdn:

Did you see the "pre-closing" knife that started this thread just sold for US$61!! Seller should hang his head in shame.Have you noticed these snake oil merchants always tape and wrap the clear tube so they can make out they had never opened it themselves and were also taken when they bought..NOT. They dont come like that ...its all about misleading and deceptive conduct...do you simply leave the buyer to their 'everlastingly sharp' fate?..I'm sure some dont even read the paperwork just look at the pretty knife ,because you watch them invariably leave fantastic feedback for the next SUCKER. Hoo Roo

I've gotten a couple of the clear tubes with knives, and this was back before the bankruptcy, that were taped, but the tape was as yellow and aged as the tubes. Of course back then I opened them up and EDC'd them, AND threw away the tubes:eek: :grumpy:

Eric

Codger is right on...as usual,

Here is the same frame from the early '90tys...made by Bear, but marketed as a Keen Kutter...note the lack of pins.

4c0xtue.jpg

I think this is why some of us don't feel the same about Mr. Taylor, and the Parkers, and everything they've done for knife collecting, by "reviving" older brands and tangstamps. Schrade made some nice knives for Mr. Parker as well, but so many new/old stock, old tangstamps, samples, and prototypes...too much like what we are seeing from the Scharde closing.

Whatever.

JMO.

Bill

Good eye Paul!
As is sometimes the case with fakes, this knife may someday be worth as much or more than the real Schrade Walden, because it is made by Camillus.

I have the same knife, acquired in a trade. But I knew it was made by Camillus and that was why I wanted it. Now with Camillus gone the way of Schrade, this knife may increase in value. If not it still has a place in my collection for what it is, a Camillus SFO.

My only regret about this knife is that somewhere along the line, Taylor, LLC, made a couple bucks on the knife. I don't like to buy things made in china, by slave labor & I don't like to buy things that help to pad the pockets of Mr Taylor. I think his ethics, (or lack there of) are detestable.:barf:

Just my opinion,
Dale

I have enjoyed reading the informational items that have been posted on the Schrade Forum. However, I find it a turn off when some of the posters (very few) constantly, month after month, continue to express their hatred toward SMKW or Taylor Brands LLC. Some of the posters have even implied that these companies are associated with the Mafia. I do not think that statements like these are worthy of being on this forum.

This hatred has even lead people to state that Schrade products are not currently being made, which every one in reality knows is not true. Schrade products are being made, however, to the purist/collectors on this forum, it would be more proper to state, pre-2005 production. This way, the purist can collect the pre-2005 Schrades and lift their selves to a higher standard than keeping hate in their hearts. The only people that lose, when one hates, is the person doing the hating.

Again, I enjoy reading the positive information on the forum and do not wish to belittle anyone.

I think it was meant as the Tennessee Knife Mafia, not the other well known group.

Rusty1

I will probablly take the sidelines here too but I just gotta say.. I went to smkw it was cool, but far less than half of the knives in the building were usa made. wether thats there fault or not dont know and dont care. I buy stuff proudly made in the usa. Not Taylors junk chinnese crap knives and no thoes arent schrades in my opnion. The mafia comment obviously was a joke and to top that off we come here to get stuff off of our chest when someone like taylor is making knives that I can get at smkw for $29.99 and see someone sell on e-bay for $60.00 now thats shady business I dont care what you like or dont like.Maybe I will start selling taylors stuff on e-bay not labled correctly and you can bid on all of it and when you realize you were ripped off I'll just tell you hey its still a schrade. How does that sound. Sorry its so hostile around here that you cant bear to hear us talk about people getting ripped off, but I myself ,like d&b and so many others didint know any better when we made honest purchases thinking we were bettering our collection when in reality we had only been mislead. If that means I have hate in my heart maybe Im a little guilty, but the stuff made overseas IS NOT, IN MY OPNION A SCHRADE!!!!!!!!!!!! Dont care what you say. I always hated being on the sidlines-joel

DVM, I'm sorry if my original post starting this thread offended you. The seller in this case states that the knife is from the 1956 to 1974 era and also stated in large font that it is pre closing. Then in the Q and A he gives more information on the tang stamp which does nothing to verify it is , in fact from that 1956-1974 era. In fact the information he provides makes me more sure of my original assesment that it is a Camillus license knife made very recently. If you like you can bid on this knife or any number of knives just like it on eBay and you will technically have a Schrade Walden and further it will have been made in the USA, but I think it may be many many years before it will be worth what a true 1956-74 "era" knife is worth today.

I have no hate in my heart for anyone other than individuals who lie, either by omission or commision and I don't hate them....they just piss me off.

If the knife represented in my opening post is your kind of knife and you buy it with or with out the facts, then that's your decision and I agree with you 100%, but there are a few newer collectors who frequent here who seem to be appreciative of some extra insight.

Once again, my apologies for offending you, if that was the case.

Paul

DVM -- I don't think people really have hatred for folks that are putting out the knives. I think it's in the way the knives are presented. Look at it this way.......Burger King could make a burger and call it a Big Mac all they wanted. However, it wouldn't really be a Big Mac. Same name, different sandwich because of different companies. It's not the knife, but in the deceitful ways the knives are marketed......either by the companies or the people selling them. I agree that hate isn't a good thing but I despise it when someone knowingly tries to play on a collectors interest to make a buck off of an inferior product.

I agree with the start of thread, that any eBayer that runs an ad or any one that is selling a product should give an honest the best description of a product. People that conduct their self in a proper matter in their business dealings will come out ahead in business and in life.

It is not wrong in any way for this forum to point out improperly described products, to help educate all readers. The thread was educational but it took a turn that was not necessary. Hopefully on future posts the threads will stay educational, which I really enjoy reading.

What I find coincidental are forum members who haven't posted anything since Aug of 2006, then pop in to defend Taylor. In fact, all of this forum member's posts have the same tone. Nah, can't be a connection there...

Perhaps if forum members didn't conduct drive-by-postings, and participated in more day-to-day stuff, there would be more civility when they showed up.

Of course, that's just my opinion...what do I know, I'm Schrade-loving robot. :rolleyes:

Glenn

Back