I tried and couldnt break the Buck Marksman Photo Heavy

What a waste of a great knife and money. All the people that would love to be able to afford that knife and you trash it for shite and giggles.

Really?? It's his knife and it was very informing. The only thing that bothers me is, Now I Want One.....:D:D:D:D:D:p:p:p

in honor of the test I'm carrying and using one of mine today........

15301987432962143688151785688828.jpg

there was a reason Mak tested it. couple of participants had some sort of failures on theirs and he wanted to see if he could make it fail so easily. it still works as a knife and makers often test their products not in those ways but in torque and drop tests and such to ensure proper function and lifetime ability of normal use.

lastly it's his knife he can do what he wants with it. freedom and making choices isn't a bad thing even though some seem to think it is.......

Understand folks feelings on seeing good knife worked over. However, a photo documented and written up test has a purpose and is better suited to Buck Forum than someone just posting a trashing thread of a model without photos or 'decent' discussion. (Not many of us have the ability to be called down and not get mad) I have seen too many fights get started that way. This investigation was done in a way that should be considered 'investigative'. Just like when I took three 301's and cut off half of one bolster to expose half of the clip blade pin. It ruined for good, three 301's (but they were junkers you couldn't see). But, I wrote it up and took photos to explain how the pins were put in and the problems with the Schrade contract method.
I would encourage anyone considering testing another model to have a valid educational purpose, photo document the testing well and provide written findings of the test. Now not all Buck knives are designed for 'end of the world' survivability. I vote, not to try such on a David Yellowhorse 110. I hope that Makael would consider submitting his report to the BCCI newsletter. 300Bucks

PS/ To my knowledge the original knife, bolt and hammer test was done with a hand forged knife by Hoyt Buck back in the days of the 'Shed' factory and I am sure used just a common bolt. Metal of the apparently 105 knife was likely a re-heat treated file blade. The knife you see in drawings from past is usually depicted as a more modern version.

Last edited:
I think Makael's action was in response to several comments in the "Buck Marksman, looking for comments thread, where several made these comments...

"Yeah, mine stopped working after I dropped it. Finally fixed it but don't use it for anything serious anymore." and

"Haven't had my Marksman very long but I used it one time in a defensive way and now the lockup is loose. Besides being very well made, it seems to me the locking mechanism is somewhat delicate. Perhaps it came loose from the factory? I have yet to tighten it back up."

He, Makael, has been vocal in support of the Marksman, without much success with words and explanation. I, for one, can understand and appreciate the lengths he went to to make his point. Preston

Wasn't intended to offend anyone. Agree his knife he can do whatever he wants to it. Was just my opinion which I'm allowed to express
If u were offended I apologize.

Wasn't intended to offend anyone. Agree his knife he can do whatever he wants to it. Was just my opinion which I'm allowed to express
If u were offended I apologize.
dont think anyone is/was offended. just different opinions.

If you send it to me, I'll shoot it without a vise or laser. You pick the caliber.

I think Makael's action was in response to several comments in the "Buck Marksman, looking for comments thread, where several made these comments...

"Haven't had my Marksman very long but I used it one time in a defensive way and now the lockup is loose. Besides being very well made, it seems to me the locking mechanism is somewhat delicate. Perhaps it came loose from the factory? I have yet to tighten it back up."

He, Makael, has been vocal in support of the Marksman, without much success with words and explanation. I, for one, can understand and appreciate the lengths he went to to make his point. Preston

Yeah, that's me. I don't use mine for gardening, though that seems like a valid use. He probably doesn't have to fight off dogs and I don't have a garden. Issues that have occurred aren't going away because a knife endured a torture test. And neither am I.

Yeah, that's me. I don't use mine for gardening, though that seems like a valid use. He probably doesn't have to fight off dogs and I don't have a garden. Issues that have occurred aren't going away because a knife endured a torture test. And neither am I.

??? I'm not sure your meaning, no-one said anything about you leaving?? Why so defensive??

No reason for bs regarding this test. Like I said it wasn't a joy to do it. I cringed the first time I tossed it on the ground. But I made myself do it. You see all kinds of strength tests now and again on u tube.

Regarding the 110, I'm sure the 110 is durable as can be. But if you dent the the metal on each side of the pivot you could really make it tough to open.

I will take the knife to Buck so they can adjust the strap lock. I don't have the tool to adjust it with. There is a tad of slop when the knife is open and shut but it still locks either way. Badass knife that opens as fast as an automatic. Seems like it would be a great self defense knife.

No reason for bs regarding this test. Like I said it wasn't a joy to do it. I cringed the first time I tossed it on the ground. But I made myself do it. You see all kinds of strength tests now and again on u tube.

Regarding the 110, I'm sure the 110 is durable as can be. But if you dent the the metal on each side of the pivot you could really make it tough to open.

I will take the knife to Buck so they can adjust the strap lock. I don't have the tool to adjust it with. There is a tad of slop when the knife is open and shut but it still locks either way. Badass knife that opens as fast as an automatic. Seems like it would be a great self defense knife.

Good test and pictures Makael, I'm sure there are more people than you know about appreciate you trying to destroy your knife...Good Job, Good Knife....

Now I kinda want one, but my preferred vendor doesn't carry it over here in the Netherlands. Maybe I'll go hit up my favourite brick and mortar store someday, although their selection has been in decline for the last year. Oh well...

I appreciate the test, and I don't want to be that guy, but... Please do take safety into account. I don't want to see any of you getting hurt, and it looked to me like there were a dozen ways this could have gone wrong.

It was interesting to see what you put the knife through and it kept plugging along.

Probably squeezed a lifetime of hard use into a short period of time.

While I’ve found the Marksman interesting since if first came out using that lock, because I’ve owned a couple Reeve knives with their version of the Hawk locking mechanism, it is just too big for me personally.

For a pocket clipped knife, for me, around 4” is right where I like them. A tad shorter or longer is ok if I like the knife.

Really would like to see a Marksman Junior at just right under 4” closed. I think that’d be pretty seeet.

But once again, the knife companies haven’t been calling me to see what I think they need to make. Always “the man” holding me down. Lol. ;)

Thanks for your effort in making and documenting your test!

Back