I want a 4 Max....

I am really happy with my 4 Max. It took a few weeks playing with it, opening, & closing to get the lock loosened up. It was a little notchy at first. Now it has smoothed out, and locks up solid. The overall fit & finish are top notch. It is definitely the most solid, & sturdy folder that I have ever had.

Work your 4Max a bit. Mine is smooth as butter now. I handled a newer one, and there is a difference. Same run, just one Broken in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, cool. I will break mine in more. Thank you.

So, been seeing some chatter that the US 4-Max is no more.....all future 4-Max's will be made in Italy. Kinda bummed about this, but if they can keep quality stable....then that will be good.

Well the US made supply hasn't completely dried up yet.

Last edited:
KnifeCenter says they are available there. They have a "New" heading on them, but still have them as USA made.

I wonder if the USA 62RM out there now have the lockbar issue. I guess checking with the dealer would be prudent. Or else chance it and send it in for warranty if need be. I also wonder if perhaps they held back some finished product for warranty replacement so maybe the ones that shipped recently have the lockbar step like the first run...or perhaps that's just wishful thinking.

I just picked up two on Ebay. Fingers crossed, there's no lockbar issue.
Lockbar is good on my two examples. No step, but the entire length is recessed.

Last edited:
It's fairly likely that the US-made supply will dry up before the Italian-made supply hits. If so it will be a seller's market. So I see little risk in buying one now. Would be easy to sell if you don't like it. Not as easy with a lockbar issue of course.

What's the little hole for on the front of the grip just behind the choil? Looks like it's there for a secondary lock (same location as the lock pin on the Extrema Ratio RAO, for example).

I believe it's meant for paracord that connects the front and rear lanyard holes to create hand protection like a D guard. Of course that would block the blade...

Anyone recieve one from this latest release? Would like to see pics of the lock bar to see if the put the step on the lock bar or are still leaving it smooth.

Anyone recieve one from this latest release? Would like to see pics of the lock bar to see if the put the step on the lock bar or are still leaving it smooth.

I got one and immediately sold it. I presume it was from the latest release. No step in the lockbar. No problem with that but...the lockbar was getting hung up/stuck in the disengaged position. This was happening more frequently when the knife was closed. Without the lockbar dropping fully, the blade was not held shut until I manually pressed the lockbar down which would make a click noise. I couldn't tell where the friction was coming from that prevented the natural drop of the lockbar from the spring.
I've experienced this exact symptom once before in my life. It was with a Rajah 3. I sent it in to warranty and they fixed it.
I did not want to deal with the 4 Max so I sold it at a discount with full disclosure.
The fact that an MSRP $600 knife was defective out of the box just bothered me so much I had to get rid of it. I mean hundreds of lockbacks have passed through my hands over the decades...
It's disgraceful. It also came with wonky edge bevels.
But I guess we already knew that the US manufacturer of the 4 Max has poor quality control.
I really like the design and I'll look for the Italian made version later this year.

got mine about a week ago. i am Lucky to say that it is a flawless one.
its realy the most impressive folder ive got. im glad to be the owner of a usa made model and im exited to see what they are going to do with it in italy.
my experience with italien made knives is that they have great quality control and can make exceptional designs.

so i wont be surprised if i get me a second 4 max later on.

its smooth out of the box and very strong. blade keeps an edge very well after some carving. dont like the pocket clip...its actually unusable. so stiff its impossible to get something underneath it.

also i wonder if the handle would come apart easily when you get dirt in the pivot. i cant open my ultimate hunter without doing some damage to the liners

I have worked up enough money to get one but am having second thoughts. It would be much appreciated if someone can share a photo of it next to a code 4.

Back