I wish the Becker BK7 and BK9 were 1/4 thick.

I wish the Becker BK7 and BK9 were 1/4 thick. I like the BK2 because its 1/4 thick.:thumbup: 3/16 is OK, but 1/4 is better.

Cold Steel even uses 5/16 (now that is thick).:D

If you can get your hands on an older BK9, they are 1/4in thick.

Or if you can find a brute out there somewhere, they are also 1/4in thick.

I've been happy with 3/16 so far, but to each their own :D.

I haven't had any problems with my 9 yet, but I do understand the fondness of a 1/4 in knife like the bk2. Wouldn't it be sweet if Becker did a special heavy duty model like a Bk-9HD that was 1/4 inch thick.........or like OL said seek out an older becker.

1/4" BK9 would be way too heavy imo.

I haven't had any problems with my 9 yet, but I do understand the fondness of a 1/4 in knife like the bk2. Wouldn't it be sweet if Becker did a special heavy duty model like a Bk-9HD that was 1/4 inch thick.........or like OL said seek out an older becker.

I will buy one!

It would be heavier yes, but I don't think it would be "way" too heavy. At lest for me. There are a lot of 1/4" blades in the 8" to 10" range that are great. But I do love my bk9 just the way it is!

It would be heavier yes, but I don't think it would be "way" too heavy. At lest for me. There are a lot of 1/4" blades in the 8" to 10" range that are great. But I do love my bk9 just the way it is!

Not too heavy to swing or anything, just heavier than it needs to be. It's already an awesome chopper, I don't see the need to be thicker/heavier. Apparently they thinned it down for a reason.

Yea, I guess I was off on the Cam BK9's thickness. I thought that I had heard it was 1/4. but I guess its not quite there.

But the BK1 Brute for sure is 1/4.

I haven't really heard anyone complaining about the BK7 or BK9's strength, and like I said, I feel it works pretty well for me as it is now. But, it would be a pretty beastly battoner though :D.

a true 1/4 BK9 would be heaver than even the Camillus, at what benefit? what is that thickness and weight giving you?

plus they'd probably have to tweak the design for balance issues

oh, and it would cost a LOT more. thick stock is harder to work, and just plain costs for material.

would you pay 50% more?

1/4" bk9 would be way too heavy imo.

THIS!!

I'd be open to the 5/16th idea. But the BK9 is perfect as it is. Is it going to perform better than it already does to justify the extra weight? Probably not. Its perfectly balanced as it is IMO. I like that it is a great chopper, but not stuck as ONLY a chopper by weight. It's still a knife, not a machete.

Now a spear-point BK9? OOOOOOOO!!! I have toyed with the idea of getting the max length of a Combat Master Large sheath, and working the 9 down to that length as a spear point like the MKII. I'd have to get another 9 first...

Last edited:
With a 7 by the time you were done it would be a 2..lol

This is the reason I wanted the Cam era 9 for the thicker spine. In all fairness to the current 9 though I could have gotten one first so I would have a base line to judge.
People seem to be very very happy with their 9's as is.

Having said that...

I gotta say the Camillus era 9 that I have feels amazing in the hand and in no way does it feel to heavy. I know its not truly 1/4 inch thick but its dang close.
Like I said though, I do not have a new 9 to compare it too.
I will however be bringing it to Ethan's for the Beckerhead gathering soooo everyone can get a chance to work it out some then and we can maybe get a chop off going..

Last edited:
Cold Steel even uses 5/16 (now that is thick).:D

??? :confused: ???

MOASH.jpg

That's his pride and joy. A MeyerCo semi-tanto partially serrated 420 stainless combat fillet knife.

Back