Idaho Made

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my large insingo back from them today. When I got it new it had the regular sterile lockside and now it came back "fixed" it has the Idaho made lockside. There is a lot less tension on the blade from the new lockbar and does open a lot easier.

Did the lockbar slab need to be replaced?

I have a pair of Regulars and an Insigno in for work. Hope they don't come back "fixed" like that, I would expect a call before that.

I just don't get the "Idaho Made".
They are from South Africa for goodness sakes.

Did the lockbar slab need to be replaced?

I have a pair of Regulars and an Insigno in for work. Hope they don't come back "fixed" like that, I would expect a call before that.

Yes the lockbar had to be replaced. I sent it in for up and down play which they fixed. Also I would rather have a easy to unlock and way smoother one due to the reduced tension. Even though it has the Idaho made on it. I don't mind it, but I preffer the origional one I had on it.

I also sent it in because the chamfer lines on the top and bottom don't match with each other and it was returned the same way. I even sent in a exaggerated drawing showing the lines off. Maybe I am the only one that ever noticed these being off. Or maybe I am the only one that has one like this. I am trying to take pics showing it, but it is really hard to get them to show.

Everyone hold ther 21's so you are looking at the top of the knife and check out the lines. Then check out the bottom also.

I will try to post pics

Even though I never heard of a sebenza until I found these forums, I dougbt he will change the Idaho made thing. There is only one place in Georgia that actually sell his knives, and it is far as hell away from me. Anyhow, I do believe it is here to stay and we can whine all we want, but they are his knive, and he can do it his way whether we want it or not.

Though I do not mind the classics with the writing on the blade, I actually prefer that and it looks really good to me, classy.... what does the MM stand for by the way?

Even though I never heard of a sebenza until I found these forums, I dougbt he will change the Idaho made thing. There is only one place in Georgia that actually sell his knives, and it is far as hell away from me. Anyhow, I do believe it is here to stay and we can whine all we want, but they are his knive, and he can do it his way whether we want it or not.

Though I do not mind the classics with the writing on the blade, I actually prefer that and it looks really good to me, classy.... what does the MM stand for by the way?

MM is Roman numeral 2000

Yes the lockbar had to be replaced. I sent it in for up and down play which they fixed. Also I would rather have a easy to unlock and way smoother one due to the reduced tension. Even though it has the Idaho made on it. I don't mind it, but I preffer the origional one I had on it.

I also sent it in because the chamfer lines on the top and bottom don't match with each other and it was returned the same way. I even sent in a exaggerated drawing showing the lines off. Maybe I am the only one that ever noticed these being off. Or maybe I am the only one that has one like this. I am trying to take pics showing it, but it is really hard to get them to show.

Everyone hold ther 21's so you are looking at the top of the knife and check out the lines. Then check out the bottom also.

I will try to post pics

All the 21's I'v had have the same miss matched lines :cool:

Very hard to see them, but your right they are there I'll try to get pix tomorrow night :cool:

Very hard to see them, but your right they are there I'll try to get pix tomorrow night :cool:

Well that actually makes me feel better. I took pics but you can't see what I'm talking about.

My insingo is probably my favorite folder. It's awesome, but when everyone says how perfect they are I kinda expect it to be. I ain't talking about nanometers or anything. You can tell just by looking at it from a foot away.

They are not perfect, but it is an awesome knife and very user friendly

I must be missing something, what mismatched lines? :confused:

Look down at the top ofthe knife. With the pocket clip on the left. The point on the right side is higher then the one on the left side.

Look down at the top ofthe knife. With the pocket clip on the left. The point on the right side is higher then the one on the left side.

No I'm confused, I am talking about laid back area around the pivot, I can see where it was milled in two passes. There is a slight line in that area.

I'll try to get pix later :cool:

( let's try not drift the whole thread about this :( :))

It's very hard to get it to show up. Especially since the Lockside is new and the lines aren't worn and show up well yet
http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt11/hockey55/DSC_0917.jpg

And here is an rough, exaggerated drawing
http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt11/hockey55/DSC_0920.jpg

Back to the topic at hand. I don't really mind it (new stamp), but it if "Idaho Made" has to be on that same spot then make it right side up like someone else said already.

I see what you mean, but I don't see it on that knife. If that makes any sense. :)

I'm a newbie with Chris Reeve knives but the engraving is very disappointing to me - I had the understanding of CRK as no nonsense cutting tools and I don't see the point of this huge (especially in regular Sebenzas, judging from the picture) thing in your face; what's next, tiger stripes? I was ordering a right handed Insingo but I'll check with KnifeArt before - if it comes with that thing I'll save my money. I also understand knives sent in to be serviced are stamped? Retroactive stamping? I really hope to hear something from CRK about this, it's really disappointing.

Regards

It's very hard to get it to show up. Especially since the Lockside is new and the lines aren't worn and show up well yet
http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt11/hockey55/DSC_0917.jpg

And here is an rough, exaggerated drawing
http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt11/hockey55/DSC_0920.jpg

Back to the topic at hand. I don't really mind it (new stamp), but it if "Idaho Made" has to be on that same spot then make it right side up like someone else said already.

That can happen when both slabs are not the same thickness...Amongst other reasons, but I do see what you are talking about.
Have a way to measure the thickness?
Also, IF it was me making the Ti slabs, I would make x amount of 1 side and x amount of another side, but they may not be of the same lot of material thickness if that makes sense. So, when you pull slabs off of a shelf to assemble them, then you may very well get what you have. I am not saying this is what CRK does, but is an example.

This must be Photoshopped. There is no way Chris Reeve would do this to us.

Wait... I take that back, he did come out with the Classic that has the annoying lettering on the handle.

Is there anyone who actually like this?

Classic... oh heck yeah. Idaho... not so much.

I'm a newbie with Chris Reeve knives but the engraving is very disappointing to me - I had the understanding of CRK as no nonsense cutting tools and I don't see the point of this huge (especially in regular Sebenzas, judging from the picture) thing in your face; what's next, tiger stripes? I was ordering a right handed Insingo but I'll check with KnifeArt before - if it comes with that thing I'll save my money. I also understand knives sent in to be serviced are stamped? Retroactive stamping? I really hope to hear something from CRK about this, it's really disappointing.

Regards

Not retroactive stamping, I would bet they are not stamped at all...They are engraved on the mill. So to set your scale up on the mill just to engrave on it makes no sense financially...I believe the case that was stated earlier was a total replacement of the lockbar scale..Remember in my previous post about pulling parts off of the shelf? Same kind of deal. This of course, is my opinion, but it makes perfect sense to me :)

I'm going to pile on here and say that the "Idaho Made" engraving doesn't do anything for me. Whether he changes the design or not, I hope Chris gets wind of this post. What I like so much about other manufacturer's forums here on BF is that some of them occasionally chime in and interact with their customers through posting. Not to critcize CRK at all, but it seems that Mr. Reeve doesn't drop in too often in his forum. That's something I wish he would do a little more, so that he can explain and justify situations like this.

With that said, I still think Sebenzas are the best folders in the business...hands down :thumbup:.

As long as this thread get's large enough, and other threads such as this pops up in other popular knife discussion threads, I'm sure he will take notice if more than 75% of his customers show that they don't like it. Just like a campaign, it needs to be spread to have an impact.

If people at knife shows tell him that they are not very happy with the new imprint, an anti-Idaho Made stamp Sebenza facebook appears, and other anti Idaho Made stamp threads appear all over, and he starts losing his loyal customers over this, I'm sure he will budge in the long run.. Hopefully sooner than later.

We have to keep this thread and others such as this alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back