Ideas for odd/unconventional folders?

Looking to buy some folders, prefarably flippers, that’t ”outside the box”.
To spice things up.

I was going to buy the QRTMSTR Biff Tannen (love the beefy, futuristic, industrial look... and the wharncliffe blade) - but thanks to you guys over here at bladeforums I found out that the company seems to be... shifty.

Also love the Ontario Carter Prime with the industrial-looking sheepsfoot.

So.. help me out. What other folders is there on the market that sticks out design-wise.

Budget: circa 100-150$.

Out the front automatics are fairly out of the box. The new AKC f16 is a great OTF under $50. Balisongs are also a bit different. Id save up some cash and get a second hand benchmade 51 or BRS barebones around $200 if going that route.

A bit out of the $150 range but the paragon warlock is pretty crazy...

As said above though CRKT do all sorts of weird locks. My buddy has a buck knife with a weird GG hawk lock on it. Don't know the model though so that's not much help.

I bet nobody you know has an Opinel Mushroom Knife!

rbswTXf.jpg

The carter prime is a great choice, love mine. Also, like stated above CRKT has some outside the box folders. I have the IKOMA fossil and Jettison, I really like both of those as well.

CRKT Pilar
CRKT IKOMA Fossil
CRKT Snap Lock
CRKT Jettison

It's a bit too expensive, but I've always (for no good reason that I can ascertain) wanted one of these oddball Ratworx MRX series automatic knives with the "chain drive" feature:

rat-worx-mrx-mini-se-blade-bead-blast-serrated-side-cm.jpg

Last edited:
This is upcoming: Spyderco Parata (3.5" blade, 8.1" over all, brand new "Stop Lock" mechanism)
Spyderco-Parata-Stop-Lock-Black-G10-satin-BHQ-78708-er-large.jpg
Spyderco-Parata-Stop-Lock-Black-G10-satin-BHQ-78708-er-side-large.jpg

Now what? :cool:

The ProTech Cambria is a nice button lock flipper. It's a fairly conventional design, but you don't see many unassisted flippers with button locks in this price point.

G&G Hawk make some very cool and interesting knives; weird locking, weird deployment, etc.

Always pretty high quality though! I just got a G&G Griploc a few months ago, and I think it's the perfect combination of cool, fun, price, and quality.

01BO044.jpg

Spyderco Q. In addition to all the cutouts, it used a cable lock similar to the one used on the (more conventional looking) Schrade SQ877. Good luck finding one. There was apparently an even rarer bigger model.

KLC08210.jpg

G&G Hawk make some very cool and interesting knives; weird locking, weird deployment, etc.

Always pretty high quality though! I just got a G&G Griploc a few months ago, and I think it's the perfect combination of cool, fun, price, and quality.

01BO044.jpg
G&G Hawk ET. There was/is a QTRMSTRRRRR version of this knife as well! (Pictured.) They all apparently chop your fingers off regularly.

quarter-master-qtr-12tt-half-cm-large.jpg

Back