If you are a Knifemaker....then be a Knifemaker

Please keep in mind, I have zero influence over how this forum is run, overall. I do run my own small subforum here, very much for profit, and as such I abide by the general forum-wide rules. But I am not asked - nor do I want to asked - about questions of policy.

I speak for no one but myself.

I'm well aware of that, Nathan. I stumbled across BladeForums many years ago when I was doing nothing more than looking for tips on how to refurbish a cherished, but neglected Buck 110 that I wanted to bring back up to snuff. At that time I had no idea about becoming a full-time knifemaker... I was simply getting ready to camping :)

And please read my comments knowing that I like and respect you and your work - I take no offense and I certainly mean none.

Non-profit makers and hobbyists are more than welcome to post and show their work, as are giants in the field, whom we all respect and look up to... they're just not allowed to advertise for free. What's the problem?

That's been explained a hundred times. And I wholeheartedly agree with that policy of welcoming everyone who wants to discuss, or share, or ask questions. I would still be working a terrible, soul-crushing job in a factory someplace if it wasn't for the free exchange of ideas and information I found here. I would never seek to exclude anyone from this incredible resource.

What's the problem?

I have yet to see an "unfounded accusation" in any of the threads addressing this topic, going back several years now. Again, what's the problem?

I stand by what I said about trolls and sneaks. There is simply no other reason to oppose this very fair-minded policy and set of rules.

i agree 100% with what you say james.

for the guys that are knowingly skirting the forum rules, i myself would question the quality of their knives. if they skirt the rules on the forum just to sell knives, are they skimping on quality too? it would make me go to a paying member if i was looking for a good handmade knife.

this could be bad for the person skirting the rules if a quality issue comes up and the buyer calls them out here on the forum and they are not a paying member.

with all of the attention this issue has been getting, i would say that anybody that is on the forum every day since this thread has been started and a registered user, should have checked their profile to see if they are complying with the rules and edited anything out that was not within the rules. anyone not complying with the rules deserves whatever the mods decide to do to them. if the forum is important enough to take the chance by skirting the rules to sell your knives, PONY UP THE $75, AND BUY YOUR KNIFEMAKERS MEMBERSHIP :D

Yes, if you're trying to sell knives you should have the membership. Now that the membership drive is over, can we look into removing the 5 year old announcements at the top of the page?

Yes, if you're trying to sell knives you should have the membership. Now that the membership drive is over, can we look into removing the 5 year old announcements at the top of the page?

I see no membership drive announcements. Perhaps you need to clear your cookies and cache?

Karburized, to update your color to show your paid membership, click Settings at the top right, then on the left click Permission Groups, then click on Knifemaker.

Something went wrong in replying with a quote. Altofsky was responding to the moderators comments. Bladsmths response is in blue and red.

By Altofsky:
So am I to understand that if my 11 year old son comes on here and happens to simply reference in his profile that he's a "knifemaker" or puts a link to a geocities-type webpage that showcases a couple of blades he's made, he will be banned for non-compliance?

Just looking for clarification. Don't want the boy to get upset or anything.

By Bladsmth:
If your 11 year old son says anything here he is violating the forum rules. if we allowed him to do it, we would be violating federal law. If you allow him to make a membership here, you are violating federal law and the forum rules.

This is at the bottom of every page on Bladeforums:
In accordance with the COPPA, no one under the age of 13 may join BladeForums.com

In answer to your question (if it referred to a youth over 13), No, he would not get banned. He would receive a notice to remove those things. If he did not comply in a reasonable time period, then he could/would get his account closed.

Last edited by a moderator:
"He would receive a notice to remove those things."

Honest question...

Do you realize how petty that is?

Now, don't get me wrong. I get the concept of not wanting people to make money off of your site without paying their dues. Nobody can fault you for that.

But you're talking about warning somebody who is simply showcasing their work. That's... I don't even have the words for that. None that I'd utter, anyway.

Altofsky, you're right that we can find subtle ways to communicate. You're wrong if you don't realize how many real working, earning knifemakers here refuse to help us maintain this site.

Of course, if they feel they aren't earning money through their connection with Bladeforums, they should not have to pay. They should not have to list themselves in their profile as knifemakers here, either. They shouldn't implicitly advertise, suggesting people contact them offline to circumvent supporting a site that might benefit them.

In terms of a youngster who doesn't understand all this, that's what parents are for, and we can help him and them by ... what? Sending a message to have Dad call us? We try to use clear and neutral language, it can sound pretty formal, but it is not meant to be insulting. It is meant to get us all on the same page, to understand the problem the same way.

If the hypothetical child does not understand the standard appeal to conform to the rules, he can call Dad to explain it to him.

Altofsky said:
But you're talking about warning somebody who is simply showcasing their work.

Our infractions and warnings are built around the rules in the FAQ. They sound formal because we aren't making them up as we go along. How can we have different sets for teens, young adults, old adults? A warning in this system is an advisory, a heads up, a "speed bump ahead". It's a crossing guard, not a SWAT team breaking down the door.

But you're talking about warning somebody who is simply showcasing their work. That's... I don't even have the words for that. None that I'd utter, anyway.

The common word is "advertising" and I would let my son say it.

Based on the responce, not by you, but by a limited few, I can guess they either don't respect the power of advertising, or don't grasp it.

Last edited:
... they either don't respect the power of advertising, or don't grasp it.
How true.

I wonder how many "non-knifemakers" have financially benefited as a direct(even, indirect) result from BF interactions? You can plead ignorance the first time around... but when you are reminded of the rules you agreed to and the kind of money it takes to keep up a site this large... I have to question your character.

i hardly sell knives here but i offer knife sharpening. from word of mouth through this forum, i have more knife orders than i can fill. there might not be that many but they all came through members and lurkers reading on bladeforums and reading about the knives i make and also about how sharp i can get knives. i get knives sent to me from all over the world (even japan). i have people waiting on me to get healed up just so i can sharpen their knife for them. if i had not been a paid member of bladeforums, i would not have people wanting my knives or wanting me to sharpen their knife either.

I'm going to un-sticky this thread. I added it to the newbies info in the regular stickies.

If you look at the exchange today not everybody understands yet

Well, I finally sold 4 knives within the last month, I displayed some knives in a case at our local library that is set aside for local artists and sold 2 there, the other 2 went to my sister (not a sympathy buy but she did get the family discount). So anyway, today I signed up for a paid membership in this forum. This place has been a great source of help, ideas and inspiration for me for quite some time and it is about time that I helped to pay my way. Mine is a small contribution and I wish I could do more. I feel like if any of the moderators lived near me that I should go to their house and mow their lawn or sweep out their shop or something. Thanks to all, Steve Beckwith

Perhaps BF should charge newbies for membership, and give experienced personnel free memberships.
I don't sell anything here, all I want to do is help, and I have to be very careful with what I say lest I promote some thing/one who is not a paying member.
The rules are actually pretty stifling, and they seem to all revolve around paying for a membership.

Perhaps BF should charge newbies for membership, and give experienced personnel free memberships.
I don't sell anything here, all I want to do is help, and I have to be very careful with what I say lest I promote some thing/one who is not a paying member.
The rules are actually pretty stifling, and they seem to all revolve around paying for a membership.

Issue with that is you sever the lifeblood of the target audience that's held in highest regard; the newbie knifemaking enthusiast... Furthermore, everyone that joins BF isn't interested in "the making" of knives...

All the new guys here looking to get involved with the making aspect of knives are usually dead set on supporting the community within their own means... I think we should gang up on al the collectors and production enthusiast; they're the ones holding the purse!!!

:D

I just paid my membership for another year. This is the lowest cost, highest exposure place I,ve found.

Back