If you had to pick one Victorinox, which one would it be?

Well, what do you know... My new favorite SAK, the 3 layer Forester M Grip, arrived from the Fatherland, through an on-line vendor in Bad Kreuznach, Germany, for less (incl. international economy shipping) than it would have cost in the US; incredible.

Finally a 111 mm one-hander without the odd, partially serrated edge, sorry Z znapschatz ;)

Happy times.

My first is also the best: Swisschamp. The one I have has been with me 28 years, and although I have acquired others over time, if asked to choose one only, it would be the Swisschamp. It was all I had at the beginning, and it worked well enough "if only one." I carry it in a belt sheath and never even think about it until needed for a job, or to answer this question. Much has been made over the ergonomics, but in my view, utility trumps all.
I’ve always been curious about the SwissChamp. Do you find any of the implements difficult or awkward to use due to the size/shape of the tool?

As to the OP’s question; my Victorinox 7 is doing the job right now.

For me, the answer to this question changes regularly. The past few weeks I'm carrying my DAK KL92. Over the past decades, I've carried a lot of different SAKs, but the Pioneer/Soldier/DAK has been one of the most carried SAKs.

I’ve always been curious about the SwissChamp. Do you find any of the implements difficult or awkward to use due to the size/shape of the tool?

As to the OP’s question; my Victorinox 7 is doing the job right now.

Actually, the thought has never entered my mind. After having adjusted to using the Swisschamp for all these years, I simply do it without thinking. So far, it has worked well for me. Btw, what exactly is a "Victorinox 7," if I may I ask? o_O

Actually, the thought has never entered my mind. After having adjusted to using the Swisschamp for all these years, I simply do it without thinking. So far, it has worked well for me. Btw, what exactly is a "Victorinox 7," if I may I ask? o_O
Very cool. Thanks for the reply. I might pick up a SwissChamp one of these days..

The Victorinox 7 is the updated name for the Victorinox Harvester. It’s an alox beauty and a beast. The pruner blade is what sold me.

https://www.swissarmy.com/ca/en/Pro...Medium-Pocket-Knives/Swiss-Army-7/p/0.8150.26

cNjFiEk.jpg

My favorite SAK is the discontinued Yeoman. While I do not own an original, I do have a few Yeoman mods. For me, it packs the most-needed tools in the smallest package.

6rxg7BK.jpg

Runner up is the Explorer Plus. Its basically a Yeoman with an unnecessary (IMO) 4th layer. And sadly, the Plus version is no longer produced, but you can add your own Plus scales. Seems like Victorinox is devolving rather than evolving, but such is life.

The Workchamp is my most capable SAK, but I can't EDC it. What I usually EDC though is the SwissCard, but that is not even a SAK. So.. I will also go middle of the road with the Explorer Plus. I had no idea they are not making them any more, so it is good I have two. I keep one by my bed.

i misrepresented my choice sometime back. My first and most cherished SAK would be the Swiss Champion my parents (gone now) gave me for my 30th back in 1989. I recently had the broken saw blade replaced by Victorinox and it’s now retired replaced by a Champion Plus that i called a Swiss Champion plus. Basically a Swis Champion minus a layer which eliminated, ironically the saw blade. I had bought 3 as they were on sale. Gave one away for a birthday present carry one and still have one in its box.
life is good.
DN

I didn't know that the Alox Harvester had any other name. Interesting...

Hello again!

I've changed my answer.lol
I had said before it would be the two handed trekker, plain edge. With the Farmer X I had just gotten as a close second.
Here lately I've been carrying both and a FieldMaster too to compare and see what I actually use.
I have found that I use the scissors more than I expected. I have two children under 3 so being able to trim a fast food straw to the appropriate length has become more of a priority than I'd ever anticipated.lol.

I've also found that I love the look, longevity and robustness of Alox, but I really miss the scale tools. So much so that on the recommendation of another member here I ordered a pair of "Uncle Bill's Sliver Grabbers" tweezers for my key chain*. But I still missed the tooth pick.

Overall, I have no intention of going only one knife. Or even only 3 for that matter. But for the sake of the post, fun and participation, if I had to I'd choose...

1) Vic FieldMaster. Everything I have to have, no wasted space and not too massive.
2) Farmer X, with my Sliver Grabber and a pack of cheap toothpicks.
3) Trekker, with a pair of scissors on the side.

Yeah, I think that's my answer.
At least until I think about it again! Lol

* Pretty sweet for about $6 with shipping. I'd recommend them.

I have carried a Climber since I was a teenager. I love wine so a corkscrew is a must. I have been a hero many times when someone brought the wine and forgot the corkscrew. These days I don’t carry it as much, but always when traveling. My EDC does always include a Classic.

Alox Farmer for me. Stout main blade, handle that won't crack if I drop it, tools I use often and a saw that actually works. As an added bonus, when you scrape a firesteel with the back of the saw blade, you've created a HUGE fountain of sparks, it's super effective!

This is the only one you can carry. From now on. :eek:

Which one would you choose and why? Is there a tool or tools that you can't do with out?

I'd go with the Swisschamp. No matter which SAK i take with me, I usually wish i took that one. :)
I think it would have to be something like the Huntsman. Why? It’s like a Spartan with scissors and saw, both of which are useful tools, in a package which is still relatively pocket friendly.

I’m thinking it would probably be a Climber… I reach for the Compact or Super Tinker the most if I’m not carrying the Cadet, and in a one-knife-forever situation I’d want the corkscrew and mini driver over the backside phillips, and the full opener layer over the combo tool. Thankfully not a decision I actually have to make 😄

Last edited:
Swiss Soldier or Farmer. Although I've been perfectly content with a Pioneer on my keychain for months. Feels like time for a switch out though. Maybe my old Rucksack, dunno.

Back