If you like the 0452 will you like the 0450

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by wickettedge, May 22, 2018.

1. ChazzyP

ChazzyP Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 27, 2014
    ...but have you ever heard a guy with a big knife say that? Sorry, I'm right behind you....

Dallas T likes this.
  2. Dallas T

Dallas T Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Ill hold the door open for ya! Lol

ChazzyP likes this.
  3. SW-EDC

SW-EDC Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 4, 2015
    I have a 0450CF and really like it! It is a smaller, lighter knife but the quality..awesome!
    No way I'd ever consider hard use with it but the blade length is very practical.

colin.p likes this.
  4. ChazzyP

Dec 27, 2014
    Climbing back out of the gutter... ;)

The ZT0450 is a great little knife, but I'd definitely put the accent on little. It's not an EDC if your everyday needs require much heavy cutting. It will perform well enough in a pinch, but is hard to hang onto with its narrow, shortish handle. It's much more the knife to carry in an office environment, in a social setting, or for those times when whacking out something like its big brother 452 might bring consternation or strike fear in the general populace. There are also many times that a 4" knife is just too damn big for the task at hand.

I traded my small 21 Sebenza for my 450 plus cash, as the Seb was way too small for me to hang onto with my thick, arthritic old carpenter's mitts. The 450 is a better fit, but still far from secure in hand. It feels more like a traditional for grip and, while I do carry it solo sometimes, it's more apt to be a second carry in my front left like a smaller slippy.

Being more of a big knife guy and living and working in areas where such carry is not inappropriate, I've still sought some smaller knives that would work for solo carry. The 450 is an excellent knife that's ok but maybe just a taste small for me, its narrowness being more of an issue than its length. The Giant Mouse GM3 is a taste longer and its downturned pommel being more squared off engages my pinky better. Still narrow, though. The knife that fits the bill 100% in that size range for me is a considerable step up in price, but one with a broad palm swell that just locks in--the Shirogorov NeOn UltraLite. As nice as the 450 and GM3 are, and even with their "better" blade steels, the NeOn is just in a whole other realm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dadpool likes this.
  5. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    I signed up because of this thread, and because I got myself a 450 only yesterday, having drooled over it for some time.

However, and as many others have said, it is small. Way smaller than I thought, especially for my somewhat wide hands. That said, I really like it, and I will be carrying it. Just maybe not as much as I originally had planned.

Durham68 and Dadpool like this.
  6. wickettedge

wickettedge Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I have been carrying the Vallotton Sub-Hilt or the ZT 452. Both on the big side.

Thanks @ChazzyP I am thinking a smaller knife would be good for carrying in those places where these larger knives might be seen as too big.

ChazzyP likes this.
  7. bryan123

bryan123

Feb 7, 2017
    Wow I consider my 450 to be a big rather than a small knife since the 3.25 inch blade is illegal in many cities here in Massachusetts. I'm often limited to 3 or even 2.5 inches.

8. ChazzyP

Dec 27, 2014
    Precisely. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Justin Schmidt likes this.
  9. wickettedge

wickettedge Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Yeah @bryan123 I live in Texas so 3.25 is on the smaller side.

Dallas T, bryan123 and ChazzyP like this.
  10. ChazzyP

Dec 27, 2014
    Careful, seems like we're headed back into the size jokes, as in 3.25 is small anywhere... :oops:

Dallas T likes this.
  11. timbo813

timbo813

Jun 24, 2014
    That's exactly what I do with mine. My pinky rests on the portion after the point. It's not the most comfortable handle I've held but it's not bad. The great size in pocket and the fantastic action make up for the slight ergonomic issues. I would prefer if the point wasn't there so the whole handle would be more usable. I usually don't cut anything for extended periods of time or do anything hard use with this knife. I have other knives for that.

I would prefer a little more slicey grind and a smoother transition at the rear of the grip for more comfort. Still a great knife though.

colin.p and Dadpool like this.
  12. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    The blade is just fine, it's the handle.

Jocephus1 and bryan123 like this.
  13. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    I love both of these models, but have also experienced most of what has been said about both. Because of the tiny grip, I keep the 450 for light duty, secondary carry, or dress up. But the 452CF has raised more than a few eyebrows and solicited some crazy comments.

Both have amazing actions. And the 452 sure feels great in the hand. But I've opted to carry something with a bit wider frame, and a blade length in between the two for my EDC.

14. almtiba

almtiba

Aug 29, 2003
    I think that too.

And it would be great if it came with a low ride pocket clip like the 452.

Regards,

Andre Tiba - Brazil

15. BBuser

BBuser

Sep 4, 2016
    Medium? Is there one?

16. Kspain

Kspain

Apr 25, 2016
    I wish any of those 3 knifes accommodated lefties,
    They're all gorgeous and would buy one in a heartbeat if they at least had a reversible pocket clip.

17. Dadpool

Dadpool Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2015
    The 0450 has a reversible pocket clip, as does the 0452. If you're referencing ChazzyP's photo, I suspect he has aftermarket scales on his 0450 with no lefty clip holes.

ChazzyP likes this.
  18. Kspain

Kspain

Apr 25, 2016
    Oh okay! Yes thats what I was seeing, thank you! I willll now probably be picking up the 0450 because of that information lol

Dadpool likes this.
  19. whitty

whitty Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Aug 25, 2005
    I apologize as I did not read through all the comments. It is late. I did notice a lack of pictures of the 2 so I thought I would throw some in to help with the discussion! We are sold out of the 450CF until Friday but I thought pics with the regular Ti 450 would help with the size comparison.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thought I would throw in one 460 and 462 pic as well!

[​IMG]

hexenjager likes this.
  20. SW-EDC

SW-EDC Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 4, 2015
    You'd think its the other way around though.
    The 0450 is available in DLC.
    The 0452 is not. Everyone says the 0450 is a "gentleman's" knife.
    Doesn't the DLC eliminate this? Yeah, 3.25" blade, which I find daily useful for most urban tasks.

ChazzyP likes this.