I'm a cheap machete slut....Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.
panoz77, OK, OK, I bought the 5-pack. This has to stop! With these new ones and the ones I recently bought, I could arm at least 3 large kindergarten classes with machetes. Do you realize how much sharpening that entails? I need a new belt sander. Think go-fund-me would be OK with that?

Last edited:
:D I get advertising emails from [removed] every single day. That's what happens when you buy something there.
Never bought anything from them yet but I do get their catalog all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was only one type of 5-pack available when I ordered. The "Columbian Military Surplus" one. The "South American" grab bag was out of stock, no price listed. Hope I got the right one.

There was only one type of 5-pack available when I ordered. The "Columbian Military Surplus" one. The "South American" grab bag was out of stock, no price listed. Hope I got the right one.

I saw that, the cheaper set looked like it sold out, if you paid about $25, you got the better set.

https://www.bladeforums.com/help/site-rules/
8) No Deal Spotting
BladeForums.com stays open due to paid subscriptions from various member groups, including Dealers who help sponsor this site. A dealer who does not have a paid subscription is not allowed to advertise in any way, shape, or form. In the past, dealers have used 'shill' accounts to promote themselves & their products; as a result we've limited all dealer advertising to The Exchange or registered Dealers with active paid subscriptions.

The boilerplate for Deal spotting warnings is a bit clearer:
"Please do not post links to auctions, deals, bargains or other offsite promotions. Dealers who want to advertise are encouraged to purchase a Dealer membership, paid subscriptions keep BladeForums.com open.
We appreciate your support and hope you will work with us."

Leave the dealer name out of it. That includes hints.

And so , who has some great machete deals from our approved sponsors ?

Only 42 Blades..... :D He is a good resource and I freely recommend buying from him. That hinted at site is where I purchased my 22LR ammo in bulk a number of years ago. They were doing closeouts. The one variety that goes by the name of PMC Moderators are my favorite and still have more than a case of them. It only gets shot in pretty much one rifle or for testing ammo in others. Don't have much interest looking at knives or any kind of blade there. You all know I'm a Condor guy.

Last edited:
Only 42 Blades..... :D He is a good resource and I freely recommend buying from him. That hinted at site is where I purchased my 22LR ammo in bulk a number of years ago. They were doing closeouts. The one variety that goes by the name of PMC Moderators are my favorite and still have more than a case of them. It only gets shot in pretty much one rifle or for testing ammo in others. Don't have much interest looking at knives or any kind of blade there. You all know I'm a Condor guy.

I don't ever see much in the way of knives in their catalog anyways.
Machetes sometimes and a handful of knives but that's it.
They don't seem to ever have any kind of special deals on their knives anyways.

From what I see, 42 Blades has some interesting stuff, has extra "cleanup" services available and relatively reasonable prices. Functional working tools, not collectables. These days, the sole-proprietor has to find a niche. I applaud his effort.

I love well-made and beautifully crafted knives, but I have a soft spot in my heart for "cheap machetes". Maybe it started when I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Thailand working with poor farmers, and later war refugees, who had to bang them out of old car springs. I was making the princely salary of $125 per month, which barely sustained my "cheap genes". These things are expendable farm/garden tools, though some are surprisingly nice.

Mine finally came in. Long walk up from Colombia through Central America, Mexico and on to Virginia in the land of free shipping.

Two- SON DOVE #202 19.5 inch square-end tapanga (by Invermec)
One- MOB #1778 22 inch panga (Invermec)
One- Corneta # 31C 12 inch pointy knife with a real twist in the blade between the molded poly handle and where the edge grind starts. Label says Gebr. Weyersberg, Solingen, Germany along with some Spanish.
One -Pajarita brand "Made in Spain" 22 inch panga with a bit of potato chip warping at the thin end. Wood handle is dyed green. Must be a military stealth model. Pajarita (Inmaher, S.L.) makes agricultural tools. Mostly sickles it appears.

So basically two nearly identical pangas, two identical tapangas and a small blade. A little more variety would have been nice. I may be able to straighten the short knife using a vise and a pipe wrench. Too bad, it's cute. May be able to tweak out some of the potato chip wave in the Spanish panga, but it's not that bad.

Typical working machetes, thick enough. They did sort of grind a mark down one edge so you know which side is supposed to be sharpened. Nice of them to mark them. :)

Mine finally came in. Long walk up from Colombia through Central America, Mexico and on to Virginia in the land of free shipping.

Two- SON DOVE #202 19.5 inch square-end tapanga (by Invermec)
One- MOB #1778 22 inch panga (Invermec)
One- Corneta # 31C 12 inch pointy knife with a real twist in the blade between the molded poly handle and where the edge grind starts. Label says Gebr. Weyersberg, Solingen, Germany along with some Spanish.
One -Pajarita brand "Made in Spain" 22 inch panga with a bit of potato chip warping at the thin end. Wood handle is dyed green. Must be a military stealth model. Pajarita (Inmaher, S.L.) makes agricultural tools. Mostly sickles it appears.

So basically two nearly identical pangas, two identical tapangas and a small blade. A little more variety would have been nice. I may be able to straighten the short knife using a vise and a pipe wrench. Too bad, it's cute. May be able to tweak out some of the potato chip wave in the Spanish panga, but it's not that bad.

Typical working machetes, thick enough. They did sort of grind a mark down one edge so you know which side is supposed to be sharpened. Nice of them to mark them. :)

Got any pictures ?
Btw I also could not see the pictures of those hand forged blades you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back