I'm a cheap machete slut....Part Deux

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by panoz77, Nov 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USMCPOP

USMCPOP Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2016
  2. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    panoz77 and DocJD like this.
  3. Cobalt

Cobalt Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 1998

Thanks for the heads up. Picked up a few packs myself. Love great deals like this. Machetes are supposed to be cheap.

panoz77 and DocJD like this.
  4. panoz77

panoz77

Feb 3, 2007
    Same here, @USMCPOP should try hosting with use.com (photo hosting website) or imgur then post the IMG link in the thread.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    DocJD likes this.
  5. USMCPOP

Jan 6, 2016
    Can this site host/store images? Good web sites don't let you link, or discourage it, as the photos go away or there are permission issues. Like the recent Photobucket disaster. Good database software will not let you refer to something (or delete it) that might no longer exist - has to do with referential integrity.

Maybe I can post some pics on a good-old-boy, non-commercial site that I can link to.

Maybe this? http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=700120#post700120

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    Hickory n steel, DocJD and panoz77 like this.
  6. panoz77

panoz77

Feb 3, 2007
    There is a way to upload to this site, I don't exactly know how, but this image is from my use photo hosting website, specifically because of the photobucket debacle. It's fast to upload and post images from

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. USMCPOP

Jan 6, 2016
    If you use a hosting site, it's just like Photobucket when they want to throw a monkey wrench into the works. Some of my Photobucket pics still show up. Maybe it's because few look at them. Or because they they know I'm a nice and really cheap guy.

If the Photobucket folks were smart, they'd leave people alone who posted about "cheap machete slut". I mean, some of us do sharpen them.

EDIT: Help me, help me. I just bought some more Gavilan, Gavilan Incolma, Corneta Gavilan, Gavilan Corneta, Falcon Eversharp Gavilan or whatever machetes. Not a lot of folks selling Colombian machetes, so the change of pace (and the price) is nice.

Faiaoga, panoz77 and DocJD like this.
  8. panoz77

panoz77

Feb 3, 2007
    Added another 6 cheap sluts to the collection. All Gavilan, 3 patterns I don't have yet. All under $5 delivered each.

[​IMG][​IMG]

DocJD and LG&M like this.
  9. panoz77

panoz77

Feb 3, 2007
    Have to do some sharpening and handle shaping, more pics to come.

10. panoz77

panoz77

Feb 3, 2007
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A little char to the handle and some light sanding on the parang'ish style.

DocJD and willc like this.
  11. panoz77

panoz77

Feb 3, 2007
    Panga with the same
    [​IMG][​IMG]

DocJD and willc like this.
  12. panoz77

panoz77

Feb 3, 2007
    Added some simple ranger bands (bike inner tube) to the two with plastic handles and hung up using my nifty magnetic machete mounting apparatus. Two more left to touch up.

[​IMG][​IMG]

DocJD likes this.
  13. USMCPOP

Jan 6, 2016
    How are the black-handled, 18" pointy ones as far as weight/thickness? I overlooked the BOGO on that (and the cane knife, though I have two of the latter). I may get a pair, though the free shipping needs to pop up again.

I got the 4-pack recently. The Buriquito certainly had an odd handle. Tall as all get-out.

DocJD and panoz77 like this.
  14. panoz77

panoz77

Feb 3, 2007
    The two 18" are thin and light, they have nice textured poly handles. They will be very handy. The poly handle on the Buriquito is huge, I have big hands and it was still too fat. I ground and sanded it down (see pics) and it is much better now.

Also finished the 22" panga same charred handle treatment.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    LG&M and DocJD like this.
  15. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Wow Panoz77.... and I thought I liked machetes. How many do you have now?

16. panoz77

panoz77

Feb 3, 2007
    Over 20 (between 20-25), not even really sure of exact the exact number. I just also did a horse trade with a buddy from another forum for a vintage (he said either Ontario or Camillus). Sent my end, he is going to send his end in a few days. He said he cleaned it up and rattle canned it OD green to keep it from rusting. I'll probably strip this one when it gets here. Dimensions are .125 thick, 25 3/4"blade length, 31" from lanyard tab to tip. He said it was his uncles, WWII era. Looks like an Ontario to me. Can't wait to get it. I have two Ontario machetes, both 18".

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  17. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Could also turn out to be Collins legitimus.

panoz77 likes this.
  18. panoz77

panoz77

Feb 3, 2007
    Hmm, maybe. Did Ontario even make a 25" machete? I know they make a 22", but I'm not up to speed on vintage machetes.

19. KooKooforKukripuffs

KooKooforKukripuffs

Jul 25, 2018
    If you like cheap machetes, you would love this one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

orangejoe35 likes this.
  20. Boru13

Boru13 Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Apr 25, 2000
    upload_2019-3-26_21-4-11.jpeg

jux t, marcinek, Armadew and 9 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.