in praise of the $20 Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter

redhawk44p said:
If you are going to give it away don't use it. They cut like thunder and it makes it hard to part with them. I bought 2 and can't seem to part with either of them.

They sure do, I was really suprised at the factory edge for a 18.00 knife, it easily floats hairs off my arms. (I gotta stop testing knives for awhle, my arms look like I have mange!)

I may buy another one with the thumbstuds and see if it opens easier. I have short think thumbs, and the hole on this one and most spydercos are a little slow for me. If the studded one works better I may keep it and give this one out.

I have both. The thumb stud is easier to open.
These knives are a good buy too. The steel is not as good as the Doziers but it is decent steel. The handles are tough and well made. I have abused one to see what it would take. Heavy chopping and even throwing it some. It is still tight and unharmed.
Collins folder
It does the ugly jobs my nice knives won't stoop to do.

This thread just cost me 40.00 bucks :( . After reading this I had to go to New Graham and order two of them :D

Just a note here. Bob himself examined many of these folders while they were in their early stages, before they hit the production line. He wasn' t quite satisfied until KaBar got it just the way he wanted them. The result is nothing fancy. But rather a good using folder with good quality steel at a price that's right.

N2

Carried mine around today, and it's so light and thin in teh pocket, I kept thinking is it still there? You forget your carrying them.

I gotta find something to cut!

p.s. One of the things I really like about the knife is that the blade spine is the full thickness of the blade all the way to the tip. Does anyone know if the drop point version with the thumbstuds is also?

I think the most surprising thing after you get over the solid 'CLICK' of the lock is the beauty of them.

You simply cant beat them with anything else on the market. Some of the CRKT makes with AUS-8 and Zytel come close, but the Dozier is still a superior design and a better knife.
I've carried a lot of knives, some cheap, some fairly expensive customs (FWIW at the moment I have a Dozier/KaBar Black Thorn in my pocket), and this is one I would trust as much as any Benchmade or Spyderco.

The blade spines are all the same thickness and does taper right near the tip. Perhaps I am a bit biased towards hole openers by personal preference, but I do have both thumb stud and oval hole models. And have found that the oval hole opener simply suits me better. Keep in mind that the thumb stud is situated right up next to its corresponding FRN scale. And that the scale has no scallop to facilitate the thumbs motion toward the stud. If your thumb is short and on the meaty side :) then it is best to slide the thumb forward til it contacts the (knurled) side of the stud and then continue with its arc of motion to open the blade. The top of the stud is finished smoothly. And will cause for thumb to slip off. A few even deliberate strokes with a file will cure that.

N2

if you're talented with a 4inhand file or a dremel, a little adjustment to the frn can make a difference for meaty thumbs. recommend an open blade and benchvise. after all they're not mastodon ivory scales. do not try this at home ;)

i love great buys like this. my first "real" knife was a crkt crawford kasper that cost under $30 (awesome knife for the price). i have to get me one of these after christmas.

I have 2, the skinner and the clip point, both engraved by Bob Dozier himself. I find the skinner a great utility knife esp., for cutting leather etc. These are the best selling knives in my shop and I reckon the best value for money around.

fewpop said:
if you're talented with a 4inhand file or a dremel, a little adjustment to the frn can make a difference for meaty thumbs. recommend an open blade and benchvise. after all they're not mastodon ivory scales. do not try this at home ;)

I had thought of trying something like that, I get the impression that Mr. Dozier designed these as everyday worker's, and not so much tactical so the onehanded opening wasn't ever meant to be quick, just there as an option.

BTW I can REALLY attest to how sharp the factory edge is.......got bit on the back of my index finger this morning, not bad but right in the first knuckle!

I just received my thumbstud droppoint. Nice. Great incredibly inexpensive knife. Blows away the Pika.

sting7777 said:
I just received my thumbstud droppoint. Nice. Great incredibly inexpensive knife. Blows away the Pika.

Really, I have considered the Pika, but never held one. Can you give us a comparision???

The Pika was stiff and to loosen the pivot enough to work smoothly - there was too much bladeplay.

I also like the blade on the Dozier better for an everyday slicer/utility knife. The Pika is trying too hard to be an AFCK and just doesnt work for me.

This little Ka-Bar Dozier is something else. We got hit with 12" of snow last night, so I had to stay home today and all day long everytime I found myself sitting down in front of the T.V. I suddenly realized I was just opening and closing it for no reason, I just want to find any excuse to use it and can't seem to put it down. I even slipped it in my pocket jsut to go out and run my car engine for awhile to keep it thawed out. Sat in my car for 15 minutes letting it run and just snapping open and closed the knife.

I haven't had this reaction to a new knife in years.

The Last Confederate said:
This little Ka-Bar Dozier is something else. We got hit with 12" of snow last night, so I had to stay home today and all day long everytime I found myself sitting down in front of the T.V. I suddenly realized I was just opening and closing it for no reason, I just want to find any excuse to use it and can't seem to put it down. I even slipped it in my pocket jsut to go out and run my car engine for awhile to keep it thawed out. Sat in my car for 15 minutes letting it run and just snapping open and closed the knife.

I haven't had this reaction to a new knife in years.

imho: that backlock click on the kabar dozier satisfies like reading a good thoreau quote

fewpop said:
imho: that backlock click on the kabar dozier satisfies like reading a good thoreau quote

Aghh....went to order a thumbstud version and New Graham is SOLD OUT of all versions but the skinner!

ebay - razorsharpknife

:)

I think part of the reason I like these so much is that even the clip point is still pretty much a drop point unlike the PIKA and others which are much more dramatic. So you have a drop-point hunter with a fat belly and a drop point/clip-point utility blade. Both great USEFUL blade shapes in decent steel and cheap as they come. Good enough to use - cheap enough to abuse.

Back