In Praise of the Case Seahorse Whittler

While not as common as many other traditional patterns, the Seahorse Whittler seems to have it all...just about 4" closed, Wharncliffe main blade, two additional blades, and just gosh darn cute to boot. So, with that said, showcase your Little Pony in this thread. While Case seems to have manufactured more of this pattern then anyone else, there are fine Solingen, Germany Seahorse's that deserve recognition as well, so if you happen to have a German Bull, German Eye, or some other brand of Seahorse, then post a picture of her.:)

Seahorse_zps377e3933.jpg

I have a Damascus one back home. I dont like how thick the main is, but it is a good knife nonetheless. I am scared to carry it for EDC because of how thin the secondaries are. Plus, blade rub is inevitable on this guy, and I dont like the scratches on the damascus...which is weird, because I dont mind scratches on any other knife I own.

Wish I had it with me out here!

It is the robust nature of that main blade that really attracts me to this pattern. Fortunately, mine has no blade rub, nor is it predisposed to such pain in the tush; excellent jimping I'm guessing.

Got the same one SAK Guy has. Nice knife, but it just doesn't do anything for me. Been sitting unused on my desk in front of me for a while.

For several years, there were several knife people trying to get Case to make the seahorse in 1095, CV, or even D2 steel, instead of their stainless.
They did make a brief run in ATS-34, seen here, but never did go for CV.
I think they couldn't get it in the big rolls of steel they use for production, in the thickness needed, but that might just be an ugly rumor. I suspect the ATS-34 knife was made from flat stock, because it was a bit pricey.
It's a beautiful pattern, nicely proportioned. I have carried a couple of them, but someone always seems to talk me out of one, when I have it with me!!
"Hey what can I trade you for that purty :eek::eek:- - -I mean ugly knife?":p

ATS34Seahorse_zps2a4372a7.jpg

ATS34Seahorsetang_zps9192d0f6.jpg

ATS34Seahorse2_zpsa993ebde.jpg

ATS34Seahorse1_zpsfe58c29e.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Excellent Case Bro's Seahorse. Let me know when you're in Virginia and carrying that puppy so I can talk you out of it.;)

Timely thread!

Ordered my first Seahorse in Smooth Chestnut Bone (then after spending the money saw a better one in a rich dark red bone, a new CASE colour, sigh!) But I'm excited about its arrival as it's a sleek looking, unusual pattern. I don't mind CASE stainless, it's OK for pocket-knife tasks but seeing some older examples or Geman ones would be nice too.

Fine looking knife that one Charlie, it whets my appetite:thumbup:

In the process of stalking the postman :D With a birthday looming next week perhaps it'll arrive then!

I don't mind CASE stainless, it's OK for pocket-knife tasks but seeing some older examples or Geman ones would be nice too.

Fine looking knife that one Charlie, it whets my appetite:thumbup:

In the process of stalking the postman :D With a birthday looming next week perhaps it'll arrive then!
I don't mind Case stainless either Willgoy. I did not mean to de-mean, if you know what I mean!;)
Hope you get it in time! Happy Birthday in advance!:thumbup:

Thanks Charlie, v.kind.

No I know you weren't making a CASE against stainless....:D

Maybe GEC should turn their hand to this one eh;)

Why is it called a Seahorse Whittler? The shape I suppose is sort of like one.....:confused:

GEC's version is the Gepetto Whittler. I believe Seahorse is because of the shape.

Great pics everyone. This is a pattern I've always been curious about. You really don't hear much about this pattern. And I don't recall ever seeing a used one on the exchange since I've been posting here. Nor have I seen one in person at local shops or shows. I may just have to take the plunge and see what's it's all about.

To be honest, I've never been attracted to the Seahorse until I saw one at a gun & knife show, and discovered its 4" or so closed length, plus that robust main blade felt just right in the hand, as well as aesthetically pleasing.

That is awesome!

I have a Damascus one back home. I dont like how thick the main is, but it is a good knife nonetheless. I am scared to carry it for EDC because of how thin the secondaries are. Plus, blade rub is inevitable on this guy, and I dont like the scratches on the damascus...which is weird, because I dont mind scratches on any other knife I own.

Wish I had it with me out here!

So is this one!

For several years, there were several knife people trying to get Case to make the seahorse in 1095, CV, or even D2 steel, instead of their stainless.
They did make a brief run in ATS-34, seen here, but never did go for CV.
I think they couldn't get it in the big rolls of steel they use for production, in the thickness needed, but that might just be an ugly rumor. I suspect the ATS-34 knife was made from flat stock, because it was a bit pricey.
It's a beautiful pattern, nicely proportioned. I have carried a couple of them, but someone always seems to talk me out of one, when I have it with me!!
"Hey what can I trade you for that purty :eek::eek:- - -I mean ugly knife?":p

ATS34Seahorse_zps2a4372a7.jpg

ATS34Seahorsetang_zps9192d0f6.jpg

ATS34Seahorse2_zpsa993ebde.jpg

ATS34Seahorse1_zpsfe58c29e.jpg

I love this pattern. I have one in orange G-10 that I'm hoping to switch up for something with more natural scale materials. That said, it's probably one of my favourite Case patterns. I love that extra thick main blade.

Great thread, thanks to everyone for showing their Seahorses off! That Case Bros. model is very sweet.

Marcy Tully got back to me from Case about that ATS-34 Seahorse.
I remember ordering it from Shepard Hills, and then they were gone!
This might explain it!

"Good afternoon Charles,

The only year that the Seahorse Whittler had ATS 34 steel blades was 2003 #05262 limited to 250 .

Thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,

Marcy

Marcy Tully | W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Co. | Consumer Relations |

PO Box 4000, Bradford, PA 16701"

Love the Case Seahorse. I gravitate to the Classics since they use 1095. With Case would make one in CV.

Back