In Praise of the Case Seahorse Whittler

.....and also, i have to point out, when I looked at the menu, I thought #10 said "Human Beef" at first glance :D

Whatever you do, don't order the #4 Happy Family!

On topic, is it just a rumor, or has Case announced this one's coming out in cv?

The cv seahorse is not in the spring catalog or the 2014 core products catalog...but neither are the teardrop English jacks Tony Bose is suppose to be having brought out later this year...maybe the summer or fall series it will show up. If anyone heard from case on this it woud be nice to hear more official news of this elusive swimming seahorse.

That Crimson bone has a very nice appearance Gronk.
A little more subtle than Brian's PB, which I also like for its unabashed Fiery-ness!

The full name for it is "second cut jigged crimson bone". My pic doesn't capture just how great looking it is. Funny thing is I originally called to order an "as ground" version from a catalog but it wasn't available yet.

Like this pesky fellow, back in 2006?

;)

From the sounds of it, it sounds like a CV version may finally be nigh. I must say, y'all have piqued my interest.

~ P.

~P, how do you find these things??

That does it!! I am applying to the SSSS
(Sarah's Superior School of Searching)!
Or is it Sarah's School of Superior Searching??

This one arrived today. I had planned on replacing the one I sold several years ago but this thread made me go look and, voila, they're available! The covers are called Crimson.
knives033.jpg

That's some rich bone on that one and I believe it's a new offering from CASE so there'll be other patterns in it. I really wanted that one but the dealer wouldn't send outside the US. Ended up with the Smooth Chestnut Bone which is very nice too, but not as nice as this one Great choice.

Thanks, Will

The bone is very nice. I am not a fan of the "splotches" in the dye, but it seems intentional - so someone must like it. Also, I like the darker variants.

IMG_4615__39224.1395277561.1280.1280.JPG

IMG_4616__81026.1395278186.1280.1280.JPG

IMG_4614__45334.1395277780.1280.1280.JPG

That's some rich bone on that one and I believe it's a new offering from CASE so there'll be other patterns in it. I really wanted that one but the dealer wouldn't send outside the US. Ended up with the Smooth Chestnut Bone which is very nice too, but not as nice as this one Great choice.

Thanks, Will

I was going to order the "as ground" version when it comes available but if there's a chance they'll do one in CV I'll hold off for that.

The bone is very nice. I am not a fan of the "splotches" in the dye, but it seems intentional - so someone must like it. Also, I like the darker variants.

I first came across the "splotchy" dye in my CS Sunset Bone fullmoon trapper. I thought it was a glitch but found out it was meant to be that way. I've learned to love it.
008.jpg

To me, that CS has a more natural conclusion. Where that bone takes more of a white tint is a heavier density, and takes the dye a lot slower. Matter of fact I am not sure that one has not been hit with a manual covering of dye to try and cover/blend what was probably a lot more contrast originally. But the splotchy I refer to almost looks like they intentionally mixed a little oil in their dye or something. Not noticeable bone anomalies, just a bare spot here and there.

Here's my Smooth Chestnut Bone, it's not too bad really! The thickness of the master is a surprise, most elegant knife as well.

One man's "short and stubby" is my "compact and easy in the pocket" :D
jackodiamonds007_zps4518d801.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
If they offer a seahorse in cv though, I'll want one. It really seems the closest thing in current production to the original 'Wharncliffe Pattern'

Nice pic, I'll raise you :thumbup: The Half Whitt's a great knife but a more 'bloated' variant on the Seahorse :D

~P, how do you find these things??

That does it!! I am applying to the SSSS
(Sarah's Superior School of Searching)!
Or is it Sarah's School of Superior Searching??

Charlie,

In this instance it was pure happenstance. Upon reading this thread I searched for more information about the Case Seahorse, discovered the thread in question (Case Seahorse Whiitler in CV?-- spelling and all), and there you were. :cool:

Speaking of CV, if anyone can offer concrete information on the potential of a Seahorse in the same, I'm all ears. :)

~ P.

Lots of great seahorses here. I only have one, but, I am fond of it and it gets carried quite a bit.:)

SeahorseWhittlerRDS_zpse904fe52.jpg

I called case about the potential seahorse in cv and the customer service lady said at this time they do not make it but could not confirm this will always be the case...so I'm still waiting to see in the future...I might just go with a ss version then if the cv comes out well woo-hoo

Here's mine.

I modified it a bit to make it better at, well, whittlin'!

I haven't really used it all that much in the 8 or so years that I have owned it
001_zpsa4148ba1.jpg~original
[/IMG]

I thought I would try to resurrect this old thread from a couple of years ago. I really enjoy my Seahorse Whittler I think it's a great pattern not only for whittling but for EDC as well. I also love to dig around in old threads there is a tremendous amount of knife info stored in them. Here is my one and only.

VgP7tOw.jpg

God idea to resurrect this thread, here's mine, my third Case knife in fact. Very handsome and elegant, but rarely used as I don't whittle and there no garden chore I can't do better with my charlois. Too bad she came with some rub on the main blade, but I'll keep it nevertheless.
Rouge.jpg

SHW1.jpg

SHW2.jpg

SHW3.jpg

SHW4.jpg

Jolipapa ; Really like the color of that and the Case on the bolster. Very nice .

Please excuse the Peanut in the picture but am unable to take a picture today.
The Rogers Jigged Walnut Bone Seahorse Whittler . It is my first and I am very impressed with it.

Harry

Back