In Praise of the Case Seahorse Whittler

Interesting Bob. I was just poking around and found examples of the other two(one of which is your model number) on the auction site listed as...wharncliff whittlers. Somewhat serendipitous, along with your post. Seeing the three listed in a row you can certainly see the design similarities. There was also a model that had a wharnie main with two coping blades, instead of the two pen blades. That one was from '94, model no. 5355(and a 6355, with two coping blades that almost seemed to curve up), and 3 3/4" long with pinched bolsters. Knowing Case they probably have a half dozen or more variations. I had wondered about the thickness of the main, thanks :D.
Thanks, Neal

http://www.caseclassicsclub.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

The above address will take you to the Case Classic Collectors Club website. Lots of information on the Classics made in the early to mid 90's and in particular, the Wharncliffe Whittlers, which interestingly were not called Seahorses and not made by Case. The Seahorse is the newer version introduced and made exclusively by Case. Confused yet?

The third model Jschenk mentioned in his post were the other models that I was speaking of in my previous post. Gotta say they did seem a little nicer(in terms of bells and whistles) than the other wharncliff whittlers brought up on the same page. I must admit that two curved coping blades seems like too much of a good thing, but what do I know? ;)
Thanks, Neal

They are a very cool knife indeed, I wish that they would bring out some in 154cm or even the ATS34 would be nice, here's a fancy one that I use to own a while ago;

Seahorse_2010.jpg~original

Seahorse_2010_1.jpg~original

Plus one other that I had, had really nice jigged bone on it

jiggedbone_Seahorse-close.jpg~original

jiggedbone_Seahorse-back.jpg~original

G2

edited to add "Sea" more about Seahorses in this thread also :)

A couple of nice looking knives, G2!
Case did make a limited edition in ATS-34!!:eek:

ATS34%20Seahorse%20tang_zpsxhe6rkre.jpg

ATS34%20Seahorse_zpslke7edqg.jpg

ATS34%20Seahorse%202_zpsei8z83rt.jpg

ATS34%20Seahorse%201_zpslpdbynyh.jpg

Case can also make exceptional Jigged Bone - if the set their collective mind to it!!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Nice! I remember that one of yours, IF only they would have the presence of mind to release a limited run of that, it would be pretty great ;)
And yes, they can do some nice scale work if they put in the effort :)

Thanks for those images!
G2

Wow, that collectors club version is a swanky looking knife.
I'd sharpen and use it of course :D

yah, she was pretty special, long gone now, couldn't bring myself to use! also came in a sweet box too

Seahorse_Girlfriend.jpg~original

G2

There's a purple one similar to that on the auction site that everyone loves to hate...

Curse you all for pulling this thread up.

My favorite knife these days is Lyle's Farmer Jack in GEC #38 and this is a very similar with a unique twist. Been looking at the as ground caramel bone as a possibility.

Back